Sucheta Marathe
Sucheta Marathe  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 01:40
Marathi to English
+ ...
Mar 2, 2016

Hi,

I am a software professional with 17+ years of experience. Started as a developer, QA and then worked as a Project/Program Manager across the globe. Translation is my passion and have been working as a part-time freelancer since last 7 years (along with my full time IT job) .
I am a certified Project Management Professional from Software Engineering Institute (SEI, Pittsburgh, USA)

I have attended couple of on-line Localization courses (also from Proz trainin
... See more
Hi,

I am a software professional with 17+ years of experience. Started as a developer, QA and then worked as a Project/Program Manager across the globe. Translation is my passion and have been working as a part-time freelancer since last 7 years (along with my full time IT job) .
I am a certified Project Management Professional from Software Engineering Institute (SEI, Pittsburgh, USA)

I have attended couple of on-line Localization courses (also from Proz training) and attended some webinars.
I wish to work and specialize in Localization, I18N field henceforth.

How and whom should I approach to get assignments in localization as a freelancer ? I need to get good experience as eventually I would like to be a Localization PM.

Can someone guide me?
Collapse

Xenoglossy
Xenoglossy
Local time: 21:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
... Mar 2, 2016

http://www.localisation.ie/education/

Sucheta Marathe
India
Marathi to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Mar 3, 2016

Thanks AGV, for sharing the link for 'MSc in Multilingual Computing and Localisation (Distance Learning)' from University of Limerick. Very useful course information.
However, I will not be able to take up a year long course at this stage. It will be expensive as well, considering me as a non-EU student.

Having said that, I will really be interested in a short course with hands-on experience.

[Edited at 2016-03-03 17:51 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-03-03 17:52 GMT]

Alyssa Yorgan
Alyssa Yorgan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:10
Russian to English
Certificate in Localization at U. Washington Mar 16, 2016

Hi,

I've been looking at similar opportunities and found a certificate course (8 months) at U. Washington. Would be interested in hearing if anyone has pursued this certificate and what their thoughts are.

https://www.pce.uw.edu/certificates/localization-customizing-software-for-the-world

There is an even shorter (a
... See more
Hi,

I've been looking at similar opportunities and found a certificate course (8 months) at U. Washington. Would be interested in hearing if anyone has pursued this certificate and what their thoughts are.

https://www.pce.uw.edu/certificates/localization-customizing-software-for-the-world

There is an even shorter (and cheaper) course that the Localization Institute offers and a more advanced one for people with management experience (which it sounds might be more appropriate for you)....
Collapse

Sucheta Marathe
India
Marathi to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Career in Localization Mar 16, 2016

Thanks Alyssa.
I will definitely have a look and opportunities as an international student.

Rgds,
Sucheta

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wish to start a career in Localization

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »