Thread poster: GraceAlicia
GraceAlicia
GraceAlicia
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:01
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 28, 2017

I have been told I will be given a task as a test by a translation company which I am confused about.

I have been told that I will receive a PDF file with which I will need to make a transcription in word (format paragraphs, fonts, symbols) without using any kind of software or converter.

Could anybody please give me any suggestions as to how to approach this?

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 12:01
Dutch to English
+ ...
Re-type? Jun 28, 2017

It looks like you are asked to re-type the text in word and preserve all the formatting. By why, what does that tell them about your translation skills? I would ask them for clarification.

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 19:01
English to Italian
What role did you apply for? Jun 28, 2017

GraceAlicia wrote:

I have been told I will be given a task as a test by a translation company which I am confused about.

I have been told that I will receive a PDF file with which I will need to make a transcription in word (format paragraphs, fonts, symbols) without using any kind of software or converter.

Could anybody please give me any suggestions as to how to approach this?

As per subject. Were they looking for a translator or a transcriber? Answering to that should also answer your question...

More in detail, if you applied as a translator, I could understand transcription+translation, but personally I'd steer clear of that (unless it's paid a premium).

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
DTP test? Jun 29, 2017

GraceAlicia wrote:

If they are testing your translation skills (if indeed you are translating the text), then they shouldn't be dictating your work process. As a freelancer hired to produce a translation of the source document, you should be free to.produce the formatted translation in whatever way you see fit, using any appropriate software and skills, as long as the chosen method doesn't cause the Word file to be a mess 'behind the scenes'. I imagine that's the result they want to avoid.

If it's a test of your Word skills, it's only a relevant test (in my opinion) if that's made totally clear and you're OK with it.

GraceAlicia
GraceAlicia
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Proofreader Jun 29, 2017

The job is for proofreading.

I am just confused about how if I re-write the text I can add the symbols?

I have actually been told that it will be a scanned PDF and in German.

I cannot understand how I will be able to add any photos or symbols if I re-type the text.

Do you have any suggestions?

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Nonsense Jun 30, 2017

GraceAlicia wrote:

The job is for proofreading.

I am just confused about how if I re-write the text I can add the symbols?

I have actually been told that it will be a scanned PDF and in German.

I cannot understand how I will be able to add any photos or symbols if I re-type the text.

Do you have any suggestions?

Unless there's something I'm missing here this requirement, this test, makes absolutely no sense at all. The last thing you want to do when proofreading is to touch anything before you start marking up the text. The whole idea is to change nothing apart from those things you explicitly mark for further attention. You could introduce new errors! If they want you to proofread a PDF, that's possible nowadays even with the free version of Acrobat Reader. Printing it out, marking it up in pen, scanning it back in - that's also preferable to doing what they're asking. Let's face it, anything is preferable!

Go back to the agency and query it? It's all I can think of.

PS: I've just noticed you said the PDF is in German; yet your profile says you translate between English and Spanish, and makes no mention of German. What gives here?

[Edited at 2017-06-30 10:10 GMT]

Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:01
English to Spanish
... Jun 30, 2017

The document is in German, you are an EN-SP translator. Don't you see the obvious deception?

Clearly this is really not a test, but an unpaid job, and the job is to convert the PDF file to an editable format (Word), so it can later be translated by a suitable translator, from German into the language they want.

They do not want you to use a PDF-Word converter because of the less than perfect results those programs produce. They want something perfect and usable later in
... See more
The document is in German, you are an EN-SP translator. Don't you see the obvious deception?

Clearly this is really not a test, but an unpaid job, and the job is to convert the PDF file to an editable format (Word), so it can later be translated by a suitable translator, from German into the language they want.

They do not want you to use a PDF-Word converter because of the less than perfect results those programs produce. They want something perfect and usable later in the translation process.

They want a good job, for free, and at your expense!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PDF transcription into word

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »