Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you use your full name as a professional online?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Eirini Tomprou
Eirini Tomprou  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 23:21
English to Greek
+ ...
Absolutely true Aug 25, 2020

Kay-Viktor Stegemann wrote:

All of my local friends call me Kay (which rhymes to "Guy", by the way), but for international business, I use my full first name "Kay-Viktor" (yes, that is one name, we Germans simply love compounds). The "Viktor" part serves to illustrate that I am a guy and not a gal. Like it or not, if you are taken for a female translator, people are more likely to ascribe you fashion and beauty expertise than tech and IT expertise. I hasten to add that this is just prejudice, but when competing for jobs, it is a factor.

Absolutely true. I don't do at all such material and I do forward such requests to my male counterparts that use such products much more.

Yuni Nuraini Roslan
Yuni Nuraini Roslan
Malaysia
Local time: 05:21
English to Malay
+ ...
Yes, professionalism purposes. Sep 2, 2020

I use my real name so as to build trust with clients, and for professionalism purposes. Nicknames only in game to hid my identity. ;P

Rachel Waddington

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:21
Dutch to English
+ ...
Deleted Sep 3, 2020

[Edited at 2020-09-03 15:28 GMT]

Peter Motte
Peter Motte  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 22:21
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Money's involved Sep 3, 2020

When money is involved, I always use my full name.
You could, of course, also use a company name. It depends on the situation. But I don't do that often.

Gina Centanni

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
@Rachel Sep 3, 2020

Rachel Waddington wrote:
Having taken the trouble to get a first-class honours degree in engineering, it's nice to hear that your first thought when looking for someone to refer technical work to is that you need to find a man!

I think Eirini was (a) referring to beauty jobs and (b) joking...

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I hate "Becca" Sep 3, 2020

Becca Resnik wrote:

My given birth name is Rebecca, which I *despise.* No real reason why - I just really hate how it sounds. I used "Becca" everywhere I could.....

I know a person called Rebecca who also insists on being called Becca. I hate it!

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
Ah ... Sep 3, 2020

Chris S wrote:

Rachel Waddington wrote:
Having taken the trouble to get a first-class honours degree in engineering, it's nice to hear that your first thought when looking for someone to refer technical work to is that you need to find a man!

I think Eirini was (a) referring to beauty jobs and (b) joking...

Apologies to Eirini in that case. The subject clearly touches a nerve ...

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:21
Spanish to English
+ ...
Definitely Sep 4, 2020

It's such a relief to be able to use my forename online, instead of having to listen to reactions such as What?-How do you spell that?-What a strange name! and even ... What does it mean? What does it mean? What do you mean, what does it mean? I think if you trace it back it means little prince or something odd, but what does it matter what it means? If I happen upon an Aloysius Shrewsbury, I don't tell him "Well, I get the Shrewsbury part because it's a place, but it's the Aloysius bit I can't ... See more
It's such a relief to be able to use my forename online, instead of having to listen to reactions such as What?-How do you spell that?-What a strange name! and even ... What does it mean? What does it mean? What do you mean, what does it mean? I think if you trace it back it means little prince or something odd, but what does it matter what it means? If I happen upon an Aloysius Shrewsbury, I don't tell him "Well, I get the Shrewsbury part because it's a place, but it's the Aloysius bit I can't handle."

Shorteners can be highly controversial, though. At one point they were going to change Thomas the Tank Engine's name to Tom the Tank Engine. Can you imagine? Shortening Thomas to Tom. The very idea! Tank Engine fans were justifiably outraged. A young lady named Violet Elizabeth, aged eight and a half, remarked on the subject: "That ith jutht tho, tho thilly! If they dare change it to Tom, I'll thkweem and thkweem and thkweem until I'm thick."

[Edited at 2020-09-04 11:11 GMT]
Collapse

Zibow Retailleau
Christopher Schröder
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you use your full name as a professional online?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »