Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Poll: I consider my lifestyle to be a healthy one.
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Bubble butts Nov 2, 2020

Tom in London wrote:
You have to be cruel to be kind.

Hmm, maybe in theory, but I’ve never seen it work in practice.

And I can’t believe you said “OMG”. Your standards are slipping. Been spending too much time watching The Kardashians now Jeremy Kyle has been cancelled?!

But good luck with the streamlining programme. I see from my wife’s clients that it takes something special to stick with it.

Barbara Cochran, MFA
Kay Denney
expressisverbis

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Maltesers Nov 2, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:
Tom, I don't know what choc bar you eat every Sunday, but if it isn't an Aero, maybe it's not too late to make the switch. Think of all the non-calories you could be notching up simply because of the air in there that isn't chocolate.

You’re obsessed with Aeros aren’t you?!

But everyone knows that the best chocolate snack for weight loss is Maltesers.

There was a widely derided advertising campaign for Maltesers maybe a decade ago which was all about them being ideal for stick-thin ballerinas.

Which might be true if you just ate one. Or even one packet. But they’re so more-ish you’re likely to eat a whole jumbo multipack in one sitting.

That’s a lot of air, to be fair.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Kay Denney
expressisverbis
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Michael Harris

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:28
Spanish to English
+ ...
A decade ago Nov 2, 2020

After my time. There was a kind-of-same-vein Malteser ad well before that, in which a woman is offered a Malteser by another woman, and woman 1 says warily "Chocolate?" (subtext = yeeugh, that's SO fattening), whereupon the other woman says in a kind of oh-no-no-certainly-not tone, "Maltesers!" (subtext = no, surprisingly this chocolate isn't like that).

No, the Aero thing was just to see how many levels I could ratchet up at once ...

Christopher Schröder
Kay Denney
expressisverbis

Gibril Koroma
Gibril Koroma  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:28
French to English
+ ...
Yes Nov 2, 2020

I would say yes. I don't drink alcohol or smoke, go for long walks, watch my weight and avoid junk food. I feel good when I wake up every morning. What else?

Muriel Vasconcellos

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:28
Member (2008)
Italian to English
What it takes Nov 2, 2020

Chris S wrote:

.... I see from my wife’s clients that it takes something special to stick with it.

It takes hating yourself for not sticking to it. Thinking of yourself as a failure, unable to set goals for yourself and attain them, is not good. So if your lifestyle is not healthy, you have to take decisions as to how to make it healthy and then, importantly, you have to implement those decisions. There will of course be failures/slippages/backslidings along the way, but your direction of travel must not change. The important thing is not to set goals for yourself that you know would be impossible to achieve, e.g. losing 10 Kg in 10 weeks. But losing 10 kg in a year might be feasible and could be integrated into your normal life without causing you to suddenly change everything you do.

[Edited at 2020-11-02 18:26 GMT]

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Christopher Schröder

Felipe Lacerda
Felipe Lacerda  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:28
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I'm kind of healthy. Nov 2, 2020

My diet is fairly healthy, I avoid junk food and exercise pretty much daily - no joke, you should see my delts.

The unhealthiest thing I do with my life is probably working as a translator. And some chemistry here and there.

Muriel Vasconcellos

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Nov 3, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

Chris S wrote:

That’s a little insensitive, Tom!

You have to be cruel to be kind. It's what I did when I realised that I needed to lose a lot of kilos. I went into the kitchen and took a 1 kg bag of rice, and said to myself OMG that is what I'm carrying around. (x several) No wonder I feel tired all the time! And how I'm straining my heart ! BTW I still have to lose several more of those bags, which at my current gentle rate of weight loss will - I estimate - take me until March 2021. I will then be at the top end of my ideal BMI so after that I should still lose more Kg.

[Edited at 2020-11-02 14:55 GMT]

when being the crucial word, timing is of utmost importance. Right now Neilmac is just admitting that he needs to lose some weight because of this poll, he knows it but isn't necessarily looking to do something about it right now. He's probably got plenty of other issues to deal with first. With lockdowns and Christmas and winter looming, I'm not sure it's really a time to be obsessing over losing weight - and I say that knowing that obesity is an aggravating factor for covid, 10 kilos isn't obesity. Who knows, we might be facing food shortages during the coming World War if Trump wins a second term, in which case those who have a little extra padding will be better off.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Philippe Etienne
Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales
expressisverbis
Zibow Retailleau

Alexandra Speirs
Alexandra Speirs  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
not very healthy Nov 3, 2020

Sitting too long in front of the computer...
Did lose about 10 kg a few years back, but put them back on again.
Now my husband has been ordered by the doctor to lose weight, so we are cutting out the goodies.

Still, we feel quite sylph-like in comparison to the folk on "My 600 lb life" ....

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:28
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
What happened to "Other"? Nov 3, 2020

I eat a low-calorie diet and try to walk a mile a day, but decades of sitting in front of the computer are not "healthy."

Tina Vonhof (X)

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I have 2 horrible habits Nov 3, 2020

I have been reading a little more about to maintain a healthy lifestyle, since this pandemic came. So, I picked the most important steps to follow them.
1. Smoking and drinking coffee. (Yes, and I shouldn't, I know!)
2. Be physically active every day. (Yes, I try to, in the morning walk for a while.)
3. Eat a diet rich in whole grains, proteins, vegetables, and fruits. (Yes. I don't like fats and I avoid pork meat. I also eat bread in a moderate way, and I don't drink alcohol.
... See more
I have been reading a little more about to maintain a healthy lifestyle, since this pandemic came. So, I picked the most important steps to follow them.
1. Smoking and drinking coffee. (Yes, and I shouldn't, I know!)
2. Be physically active every day. (Yes, I try to, in the morning walk for a while.)
3. Eat a diet rich in whole grains, proteins, vegetables, and fruits. (Yes. I don't like fats and I avoid pork meat. I also eat bread in a moderate way, and I don't drink alcohol. There is a story behind alcohol)
4. Get vitamin D (Yes, when you have an autoimmune disease, you certainly need it.)
5. Maintain my weight. (Yes, I try. I used to go to the gym, but Coronavirus stole that from me too!)
6. Challenge your mind. (Of course, every day! What could be better than translation to challenge my mind?)
I don't consider my lifestyle 100% healthy, because I have those 2 most horrible habits (smoking and drinking coffee).
I think I have good genes, and I'm sure I have other bad habits, like worrying myself.

[Edited at 2020-11-03 19:08 GMT]
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Smoking Nov 3, 2020

God, how I used to love smoking, Exy. With the coffee in the morning. The Breakfast of Champions. I still miss it sometimes. But it had to go, I knew it, and that was that. Yes, that was it. I gave up cigarettes at the same time.

[Edited at 2020-11-03 19:16 GMT]

expressisverbis

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Two years ago ... Nov 3, 2020

... I began to suffer severely of hyperuricemia and refused the medicaments usually prescribed and tried 'cold turkey' (no more beer, fish or meat), and I lost more than 15 pounds. Today, I take these bloody pills, and all has been put back again. Oh yes, one advice: please don't sit, when working. Sitting is considered the new smoking (which I sometimes - a bit too often these days - enjoy).

[Bearbeitet am 2020-11-03 20:41 GMT]

expressisverbis
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Zibow Retailleau

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I need an incentive, and I know I will quit... some day or other Nov 3, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

God, how I used to love smoking, Exy. With the coffee in the morning. The Breakfast of Champions. I still miss it sometimes. But it had to go, I knew it, and that was that. Yes, that was it. I gave up cigarettes at the same time.

[Edited at 2020-11-03 19:16 GMT]

As we say here: Brave man!
I will quit, I promise...

Matthias Brombach wrote:

... I began to suffer severely of hyperuricemia and refused the medicaments usually prescribed and tried 'cold turkey' (no more beer, fish or meat), and I lost more than 15 pounds. Today, I take these bloody pills, and all has been put back again. Oh yes, one advice: please don't sit, when working. Sitting is considered the new smoking (which I sometimes - a bit too often these days - enjoy).

[Bearbeitet am 2020-11-03 20:41 GMT]

Oh! I’m sorry to hear that, Matthias.
I am “hyper” in everything, so you are not alone.

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
That disease ... Nov 3, 2020

expressisverbis wrote:

... has spoilt my hyper activity in fishing and for fish too, a passion, which I think I share with you as a Portuguese? Nothing compares to freshly caught fish, but when you have to take pills to enjoy, what will be left? Pea sausage or potato soufflé? Not really, I have to confess late this evening.

expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Let's go fishing Nov 3, 2020

Matthias Brombach wrote:

expressisverbis wrote:

... has spoilt my hyper activity in fishing and for fish too, a passion, which I think I share with you as a Portuguese? Nothing compares to freshly caught fish, but when you have to take pills to enjoy, what will be left? Pea sausage or potato soufflé? Not really, I have to confess late this evening.

Ohh... Are you serious? But if you take pills to "relief" that disease don't you feel better?
Yes, Portuguese like to go fishing. We can see them in river Douro seaside in the weekends.
Ok, we need to do something about that. You can't enjoy your passion where you live, but I'm sure you can enjoy it in another place.
You're invited to come here. Let's go fishing everyone! We can make pea soup, a healthy one that you can eat and enjoy it!

Matthias Brombach

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: I consider my lifestyle to be a healthy one.

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »