FlexiPDF (rebranded Infix): Sentence split mid-line into several non-mergeable segments
Thread poster: Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov  Identity Verified
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
Dec 18, 2016

Has anyone using Infix, FlexiPDF, or a similar PDF tool encountered a situation where a sentence in the exported XML file is split in the middle of a line into several non-mergeable segments? How do you fix this?

Example:

PDF source: "Do not do bad stuff." (The entire sentence is on one line and in one textbox, "not" is bold.)

XML source segments:
[1]Do
[2]not
[3]do bad stuff.

Segments [1]-[3] cannot be merged in the S
... See more
Has anyone using Infix, FlexiPDF, or a similar PDF tool encountered a situation where a sentence in the exported XML file is split in the middle of a line into several non-mergeable segments? How do you fix this?

Example:

PDF source: "Do not do bad stuff." (The entire sentence is on one line and in one textbox, "not" is bold.)

XML source segments:
[1]Do
[2]not
[3]do bad stuff.

Segments [1]-[3] cannot be merged in the SDL Trados Studio.

UPDATE: It looks like it's because of how Studio imports and segments the file. In TagEditor from the old SDL Trados 2007 Freelance suite, when using the .ini file that comes with FlexiPDF (and I guess Infix), the sentence is not split.

UPDATE 2: SDLX from the same SDL Trados 2007 Freelance suite also splits the sentence without the option to merge the resulting segments.

[Edited at 2016-12-18 23:47 GMT]
Collapse

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Local time: 00:18
Confirmation Dec 19, 2016

Did you actually get confirmation that FlexiPDF is a rebranded Infix?

Andrzej Mierzejewski
Andrzej Mierzejewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
Two solution suggestions. Dec 19, 2016

I understand that your issue starts in Trados.

If you'ved checked the "Allow source editing" option:
In the new project preparation box, you can copy (or type by hand) the entire sentence into segment 1 (Source column) and delete the text from the other two segments. That would be a "sentence for sentence" translation.

If the "Allow source editing" has not been checked:
Write the entire sentence translation in segment 3 (Target column) being the longest of
... See more

In the new project preparation box, you can copy (or type by hand) the entire sentence into segment 1 (Source column) and delete the text from the other two segments. That would be a "sentence for sentence" translation.

Write the entire sentence translation in segment 3 (Target column) being the longest of them all. In the other segments, write any combination of signs (e.g. rrrrrr) that you can easily remove in the final text edition phase. Still, in this solution, be aware that Trados can memorize "rrrrrr" as a translation of both "do" and "not".

That's what I do from time to time.

HTH

[Zmieniono 2016-12-19 09:13 GMT]
Collapse

Oscar Martin
Oscar Martin
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
PDF layout Dec 19, 2016

The content in pdf may be distributed in several text boxes. Just go to the "Do" text box and select all. If the rest of sentence is not selected, the text has been splitted into several boxes.

Artem Vakhitov
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not official, but you can guess Dec 19, 2016

CafeTran Training wrote:

iceniflexi

I haven't got an official confirmation, but you can guess it from their look and feel which is very similar (though not identical). In addition, there is at least one Readme file where the Iceni name hasn't been replaced.

Artem Vakhitov
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Source editing allowed, doesn't work for this file type Dec 19, 2016

Andrzej Mierzejewski wrote:

Write the entire sentence translation in segment 3 (Target column) being the longest of them all. In the other segments, write any combination of signs (e.g. rrrrrr) that you can easily remove in the final text edition phase. Still, in this solution, be aware that Trados can memorize "rrrrrr" as a translation of both "do" and "not".

That's what I do from time to time.

HTH

[Zmieniono 2016-12-19 09:13 GMT]

Thank you. I do know about source editing, but while allowed for the project (and working for DOC files), it doesn't work for this specific XML-based file format.

As for the second workaround, I don't like it and tend to avoid the workflows where it's necessary.

Artem Vakhitov
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The content is in the same text box Dec 19, 2016

Oscar Martin wrote:

The content in pdf may be distributed in several text boxes. Just go to the "Do" text box and select all. If the rest of sentence is not selected, the text has been splitted into several boxes.

In FlexiPDF, the content is in the same text box. That's what surprises me. Looking at the XML that it produces, the text is inside the same STORY tag and P tag. The sentence gets split by SPAN tags that specify character style. I've just asked in the SDL Trados Support forum if it's possible to avoid this splitting in Studio at the segmentation stage.

Premium✍️
Premium✍️  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:18
Member (2006)
English to French
+ ...
Import XLIFF Dec 21, 2016

Artem Vakhitov wrote:

Oscar Martin wrote:

In FlexiPDF, the content is in the same text box. That's what surprises me. Looking at the XML that it produces, the text is inside the same STORY tag and P tag. The sentence gets split by SPAN tags that specify character style. I've just asked in the SDL Trados Support forum if it's possible to avoid this splitting in Studio at the segmentation stage.

Hi Artem,

Have you tried to import or request the XLIFF file from the client and import it into Infix? That could be an alternative approach. I find it to be a much faster and uneventful process. You will have to make a detour through TransPDF to upload, download and preview the files.
So far thankfully, I have not had any issues with Infix and I am quite enjoying it! Good luck.

Roy OConnor (X)
Roy OConnor (X)
German to English
You could try editing the Word file Dec 21, 2016

As I understand it, you are translating a PDF source file in Trados, so that there should be a Word file available in the source file project folder (e.g. de-DE). You can edit this in Word and then import it into Trados and translate the Word file.

It works with "normal" PDF files, but I have no experience of Infix, etc.

Roy

Artem Vakhitov
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I don't like the TransPDF approach Dec 22, 2016

MultiPro wrote:

Have you tried to import or request the XLIFF file from the client and import it into Infix? That could be an alternative approach. I find it to be a much faster and uneventful process. You will have to make a detour through TransPDF to upload, download and preview the files.
So far thankfully, I have not had any issues with Infix and I am quite enjoying it! Good luck.

I don't like the TransPDF approach for three main reasons: it causes confidentiality issues, makes me depend on Internet connection, and introduces an external variable I cannot control (namely, the availability of the TransPDF server). The site has been down for me for several days already.

UPDATE: I was wrong about the TransPDF wesite being down. The correct website URL is https://transpdf.iceni.com/.

[Edited at 2016-12-22 22:24 GMT]

Artem Vakhitov
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The method using the Word file is interesting Dec 22, 2016

Roy OConnor wrote:

As I understand it, you are translating a PDF source file in Trados, so that there should be a Word file available in the source file project folder (e.g. de-DE). You can edit this in Word and then import it into Trados and translate the Word file.

It works with "normal" PDF files, but I have no experience of Infix, etc.

Roy

Thank you Roy — the method using the Word file looks interesting. However, I'm not translating the PDF file directly.

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
You were right! Jan 21, 2017

Artem Vakhitov wrote:

CafeTran Training wrote:

iceniflexi

I haven't got an official confirmation, but you can guess it from their look and feel which is very similar (though not identical). In addition, there is at least one Readme file where the Iceni name hasn't been replaced.

Just received the latest volume of C't. Here I read:

Screen Shot 2017-01-21 at 19.17.42

And furthermore:

Screen Shot 2017-01-21 at 19.18.00

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

FlexiPDF (rebranded Infix): Sentence split mid-line into several non-mergeable segments

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »