Federica Mantica
Federica Mantica  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 23:34
Dutch to Italian
+ ...
Feb 20, 2018

Hello everybody,

Hope you can help me out on this one. I recently relocated from Belgium to the United States and I'm going to keep my Belgian bank account. The only issue is that my Belgian bank requested me to fill out the form W9 - Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification. Besides my new address in the US, I am supposed to give my Belgian bank either my Taxpayer Identification Number, which I don't have, or my Social Security Number, which I do have, yet, as a
... See more
Hello everybody,

Hope you can help me out on this one. I recently relocated from Belgium to the United States and I'm going to keep my Belgian bank account. The only issue is that my Belgian bank requested me to fill out the form W9 - Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification. Besides my new address in the US, I am supposed to give my Belgian bank either my Taxpayer Identification Number, which I don't have, or my Social Security Number, which I do have, yet, as a general rule, I was recommended not to give to anyone.
Has any of you ever experienced a similar situation? Should I give my Belgian bank my SSN? All recommendations are welcome.

Thank you very much!
Federica
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 22:34
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I would have no problem giving my SSN to my bank Feb 20, 2018

I also relocated from Belgium to Portugal two years ago and I left there two bank accounts (a private one and a professional one) in different banks. Neither asked me for anything else but for my new address, but I wouldn’t have any problem giving them my Tax Identification Number or my Social Security Number…

nef_rsa
nef_rsa
United States
Local time: 15:34
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
SSN Feb 20, 2018

Welcome in USA!
Yes, you can keep your Belgian bank account. If you are Freelancer and/or Self-employed in USA and you haven't Taxpayer Identification Number, you can give them your Social Security Number (SSN).
Also if you are Freelancer and/or Self-employed in USA and you haven't Taxpayer Identification Number (in this case it is not necessary), you have to use W-9 and you ave to issue invoices for your services. You will receive form 1099 to report and file your income for Tax R
... See more
Welcome in USA!
Yes, you can keep your Belgian bank account. If you are Freelancer and/or Self-employed in USA and you haven't Taxpayer Identification Number, you can give them your Social Security Number (SSN).
Also if you are Freelancer and/or Self-employed in USA and you haven't Taxpayer Identification Number (in this case it is not necessary), you have to use W-9 and you ave to issue invoices for your services. You will receive form 1099 to report and file your income for Tax Return. In this case you have to use your SSN.
Have a nice day.
Kind Regards,
Neli Vitchev
Tax prepare and freelancer translator
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

USA - Form W9

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »