Legal advice for compensation from translation agency
Thread poster: Anette Pollner
Anette Pollner
Anette Pollner  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:20
German to English
+ ...
Mar 15, 2019

I have had a recent experience with a translation agency who reneged on their contract. It is an ugly affair, with the representative of the agency fabricating lies and going behind my back to replace me - and various other issues. Is there someone at PROZ who I can ask for legal advice? Is there something like the small claims court in other EU countries where I could sue them for compensation?
Any advice is appreciated!

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Suggestions Mar 19, 2019

Anette,

I think you may have no replies to date as appropriate legal advice can only come from someone who is qualified. You don't give any information about the countries involved, a key factor in anything legal. Also, it may be just me, but I don't understand what you mean by "reneged". From the rest of your post though, I think you are saying that at some point, your client (agency) pushed you out of the picture on a job.

The way forward will depend on:
- the
... See more
Anette,

I think you may have no replies to date as appropriate legal advice can only come from someone who is qualified. You don't give any information about the countries involved, a key factor in anything legal. Also, it may be just me, but I don't understand what you mean by "reneged". From the rest of your post though, I think you are saying that at some point, your client (agency) pushed you out of the picture on a job.

The way forward will depend on:
- the nature of the agreement you had with the client
- the applicable law.

I hope you manage to find a solution.
Collapse

Anette Pollner
Anette Pollner  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks for replying Mar 19, 2019

HI Nikki thanks so much for your reply.
I wasn't asking for legal advice - of course not, we are translators. I was hoping that someone may have had a similar experience and learn from it. Thanks for replying!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Legal advice for compensation from translation agency

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »