Language in output file is set to source not target language
Thread poster: Philip Lees
Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 22:53
Greek to English
Jun 29, 2020

I've searched the forum for this but can't find precisely this problem.

When I do a translation from Greek to English in Cafe Tran Espresso, I set the target language to (say) en-GB.

However, when I export the translated document to a Word file, the language is still set to Greek. I have to select the entire file and reset the language myself, so that the spell checker, etc., will work.

Is there a way to get Cafe Tran to do this automatically? I am rather s
... See more
I've searched the forum for this but can't find precisely this problem.

When I do a translation from Greek to English in Cafe Tran Espresso, I set the target language to (say) en-GB.

However, when I export the translated document to a Word file, the language is still set to Greek. I have to select the entire file and reset the language myself, so that the spell checker, etc., will work.

Is there a way to get Cafe Tran to do this automatically? I am rather surprised it isn't the default behaviour.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:53
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Philip Jun 29, 2020

Philip Lees wrote:
Is there a way to get CafeTran to do this automatically? I am rather surprised it isn't the default behaviour.

I'm not a CafeTran user, but: this is quite a common occurrence in simpler CAT tools. The CAT tool does not edit the non-translatable parts of the file but simply extracts the translatable content and replaces it with the translation. In such CAT tools, if you have three paragraphs and they are marked as e.g. French, Spanish and German, and you translate the file into English, the paragraphs will still be marked as French, Spanish and German.

Philip Lees
Greece
Greek to English
TOPIC STARTER
So it's only the file name Jun 29, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:

I'm not a CafeTran user, but: this is quite a common occurrence in simpler CAT tools.

Thanks Samuel. So specifying the target language when starting a new project essentially affects only the output file name, and not the content of that file. Is that right?

I've also noticed that the specified target language has no filtering effect on the MT suggestions, which may be in either en-GB or en-US, apparently at random. However, I suppose that is to be expected.

Igor Kmitowski
Igor Kmitowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
Latest version Jun 29, 2020

Hi Philip,

If you still experience it for your language pair in the latest version of CafeTran 10.7.5, please submit a support ticket at CafeTran's support site (https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/) attaching a sample Word document.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Philip Jun 29, 2020

Philip Lees wrote:
So specifying the target language when starting a new project essentially affects only the output file name, and not the content of that file. Is that right?

The main reason why one would want to specify the language codes in a CAT tool is to match up the translations with the correct resources, e.g. translation memory. In some CAT tools, it also helps match the project with a language-specific glossary. Not all CAT tools change the file name based on the language name.

I've also noticed that the specified target language has no filtering effect on the MT suggestions, which may be in either en-GB or en-US, apparently at random.

I know of no MT service that distinguishes between the two variants of English, no.

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
  Jun 29, 2020

Hello Philip,

As far as I know, it is expected that the Word spell checking language is set to the appropriate target language variant upon target document export. If needed, create a support ticket as offered by Igor, the developper.

Philip Lees
Greece
Greek to English
TOPIC STARTER
Old version Jun 30, 2020

Igor Kmitowski wrote:

If you still experience it for your language pair in the latest version of CafeTran 10.7.5, please submit a support ticket at CafeTran's support site (https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/) attaching a sample Word document.

Thanks Igor. Turns out this was a rather old version I downloaded a while back. I tried installing the latest version, but it won't run on my old Win 7 machine.

When I have time I'll install a new Cafe Tran on a Win 10 computer and see if it has the same issue.

It's hardly a tragedy, anyway. I was just wondering if there was some setting somewhere that I'd got wrong.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Language in output file is set to source not target language

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »