Which CAT tool supports curly (French) apostrophes?
Thread poster: François Marcoux
François Marcoux
François Marcoux
Canada
Local time: 20:42
French to English
+ ...
Nov 20, 2017

I have been a MemoQ user for aprox. 4 years. Currently I am using MemoQ 2015 and I have a major client who wants their French translations with inclined (curly) apostrophes (’). With original documents in Word, Excel, etc format, that is no problem. My problem resides in the fact that the client sends me source documents as Wordfast files. MemoQ imports them with no problem. But MemoQ won't let me type curly apostrophes, only straight ones ('), even if my default keyboard is French.The same ke... See more
I have been a MemoQ user for aprox. 4 years. Currently I am using MemoQ 2015 and I have a major client who wants their French translations with inclined (curly) apostrophes (’). With original documents in Word, Excel, etc format, that is no problem. My problem resides in the fact that the client sends me source documents as Wordfast files. MemoQ imports them with no problem. But MemoQ won't let me type curly apostrophes, only straight ones ('), even if my default keyboard is French.The same keyboard will type OK in Word, but not in MemoQ. So, after each translation project, I make a search in MemoQ of all straight apostophes and manually type (or paste) a curly apostrophe. This is becoming time consuming and frustrating. Does anybody know which CAT tool supports curly apostrophes? Thank you.Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
CafeTran can Nov 20, 2017

François Marcoux wrote:

My problem resides in the fact that the client sends me source documents as Wordfast files. ... Does anybody know which CAT tool supports curly apostrophes? Thank you.

CafeTran can do this (but I think that many other tools can do this too).

Automatic conversion is also possible, including the non-breaking spaces that are required for French.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:42
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@François Nov 20, 2017

François Marcoux wrote:
But MemoQ won't let me type curly apostrophes, only straight ones ('), even if my default keyboard is French.

Try this little script that I used for typing those characters in places that don't support them directly:
http://leuce.com/autoit/idiomhotkeys_v4a.zip
It might not work for you.

François Marcoux
François Marcoux
Canada
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your quick replies Nov 20, 2017

Thanks so much Murray for passing along that script. The Ctrl+) = single closing quote (or curly apostrophe) worked in MemoQ!

François Marcoux
François Marcoux
Canada
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry, thanks Samuel Nov 20, 2017

Sorry, thanks Samuel

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Search and replace Nov 21, 2017

François Marcoux wrote:
So, after each translation project, I make a search in MemoQ of all straight apostophes and manually type (or paste) a curly apostrophe. This is becoming time consuming and frustrating.

Translation at final stage.
If many files, create a view.
Type Ctrl H (search and replace), scope all
Search straight quote (keyboard), replace with Alt0146
Confirm and update all
Done in 15 secs.

I suppose you can also set some autoreplace feature, which replaces ' with ’ every time the key ' is hit.

Philippe

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:42
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Change layout Nov 21, 2017

Just change your keyboard layout to a good one.

François Marcoux
François Marcoux
Canada
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Search and replace Nov 23, 2017

I had tried search and replace before but for some reason, gave it up. I gave it another try on a 4,000 work doc after your suggestion and was successful. Thank you.

François Marcoux
François Marcoux
Canada
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Search and replace revisted Nov 23, 2017

Actually. after reviewing my document I noticed that MemoQ did not change all the straight apostrophes (') searched for in all the active document, even after several attempts. For Some sections which contain more than one apostrophe, some were changed, some not. Weird.

Philippe Etienne
Spain
English to French
Weird indeed Nov 23, 2017

François Marcoux wrote:

Actually. after reviewing my document I noticed that MemoQ did not change all the straight apostrophes (') searched for in all the active document, even after several attempts. For Some sections which contain more than one apostrophe, some were changed, some not. Weird.

There must be a common feature that prevents those remaining straight apostrophes from being replaced.
Did you try the various options in the search and replace panel? "Wrap around" enabled?
Are the remaining straight apostrophes characters that you didn't type yourself?
Could it be that the remaining straight apostrophes are actually not the same character as the character on your keyboard? Due to Wordfast import?
Maybe try pasting one of the remaining straight apostrophes into the Search field to see if it's picked up for replace.

Philippe

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 00:42
Danish to English
+ ...
Only the first occurrence in each segment Nov 23, 2017

François Marcoux wrote:

For some reason MemoQ seems to change only the first occurrence in each segment when I use Replace all. I had noticed that recently. I don't know if it's a bug or a feechur. Maybe they should rename the function to Replace nearly all.

Philippe Etienne
Spain
English to French
Ho ho ho Nov 23, 2017

Thomas T. Frost wrote:
For some reason MemoQ seems to change only the first occurrence in each segment when I use Replace all. I had noticed that recently. I don't know if it's a bug or a feechur. Maybe they should rename the function to Replace nearly all.

That's quite scary. And you've kept it to yourself all this time!
No such behaviour with MQ 2013 R2, I just tried in order to make sure...
If current MQ "replaces-all" only the first occurrence in each segment without your realising, good luck with consistency.

Philippe

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 00:42
Danish to English
+ ...
MQ2015 Nov 23, 2017

Philippe Etienne wrote:

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

That's quite scary. And you've kept it to yourself all this time!
No such behaviour with MQ 2013 R2, I just tried in order to make sure...
If current MQ "replaces-all" only the first occurrence in each segment without your realising, good luck with consistency.

Philippe

That's in MemoQ 2015. I don't know what the latest version 8.2 is doing, as I refuse to use it until I get a toggle function back for Shift+F3 to change case instead of their mindless menu. I'm moving to Trados Studio because of this, so I'm losing interest in MemoQ, which is why my reaction was a bit slow; sorry.

François Marcoux
François Marcoux
Canada
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Find and replace needs multiple runs Nov 25, 2017

Ok, I finally was able to replace all straight apostrophes with curly ones in a target text (2000+ words), but only after running the Find and Replace function like 5 times. Each time it would capture some and leave some until they were all were replaced.

[Edited at 2017-11-25 03:04 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which CAT tool supports curly (French) apostrophes?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »