Katherine McMonagle (X)
Katherine McMonagle (X)
United States
Local time: 04:37
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 27, 2020

Hello everyone,
I just started applying to agencies this summer and I have been looking through the Blue Board. When I have visited some of these agency websites, a lot of them don't have an option to apply or to send a resume via email. Would it be best to cold contact these agencies? And if so, does anyone have any tips on how to best go about that? Or is it better to just stick to the agencies that specifically have an application?

Thanks!

Elena Feriani
Elena Feriani
Italy
Local time: 10:37
French to Italian
+ ...
Apply for jobs Aug 27, 2020

Hi Katherine,

My experience is that it's easier to start a collaboration with an agency when you apply for jobs here on Proz. Agencies get lots of applications for language pairs they don't need everyday... if you contact the agencies that are actively looking for people like you, you'll have better chances in my opinion.
And apply as soon as the job offer is posted!
Good luck

Katherine McMonagle (X)

Katherine McMonagle (X)
Katherine McMonagle (X)
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Aug 27, 2020

Awesome, thank you Elena. I actually haven't tried applying for jobs directly on Proz yet, I've been going through the Blue Board lists and checking agencies out directly on their websites. But you make a good point and I will try that instead. Thanks again!

Kristopher Brame
Kristopher Brame  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:37
Member (2018)
German to English
+ ...
Probably not Aug 28, 2020

I tried cold contacting tons of agencies a while back (and still sometimes do). I had very little success doing that. It was mainly successful when I contacted agencies who offer the same niche specializations I do. You are much better off waiting for agencies to make a post looking for someone who does what you do and write them. Also, a lot of times agencies will actually come to you. So just make sure you have a good profile and be available. LinkedIn is another great platform to have a prese... See more
I tried cold contacting tons of agencies a while back (and still sometimes do). I had very little success doing that. It was mainly successful when I contacted agencies who offer the same niche specializations I do. You are much better off waiting for agencies to make a post looking for someone who does what you do and write them. Also, a lot of times agencies will actually come to you. So just make sure you have a good profile and be available. LinkedIn is another great platform to have a presence on.Collapse

Elena Feriani
María Paula Gorgone
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Kevin Fulton
Katherine McMonagle (X)
Esther Dodo
Christine Andersen

Elena Feriani
Elena Feriani
Italy
Local time: 10:37
French to Italian
+ ...
Proz find Aug 28, 2020

Kristopher Brame wrote:

Also, a lot of times agencies will actually come to you. So just make sure you have a good profile and be available.

I agree.

@Katherine In Proz Find, you can check where you are in the ranking, and try to improve your position, so clients are more likely to find you.

https://www.proz.com/find?slwz=esl&tlwz=eng&nl_wz=target&st=1&q=&sl=esl&tl=eng&nit=y&lpe=3

Katherine McMonagle (X)

Katherine McMonagle (X)
Katherine McMonagle (X)
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you everyone Aug 28, 2020

You all are the best! Thanks for helping this newbie out

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:37
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Not good Aug 28, 2020

The market in Brazil is terrible. I have tried cold calling and speculative e-mail or (in the past) snail mail but no success, only one client came this way. ProZ is a good idea but you only get anything out of it if you are a member. So there is a vicious circle, can't be a paying member (and get jobs) without paying fees, and can't pay fees without jobs.

I see you translate into Spanish, I sometimes get requests and could recommend you. In the meantime, if you know any jobs for Br
... See more
The market in Brazil is terrible. I have tried cold calling and speculative e-mail or (in the past) snail mail but no success, only one client came this way. ProZ is a good idea but you only get anything out of it if you are a member. So there is a vicious circle, can't be a paying member (and get jobs) without paying fees, and can't pay fees without jobs.

I see you translate into Spanish, I sometimes get requests and could recommend you. In the meantime, if you know any jobs for Brazilian Portuguese please let me know. Spanish is very big in Brazil, more than English, because of Mercosur. As for me, non parlo español, solamente el portuñol. (Portuñol is a blend of Portuguese and Spanish, spoken around the BR/AR and BR/UY borders. A bit like Spanglish in the Southern US).

In Brazil we have a translators' conference every two years. Pandemic permitting, the next one is scheduled for 2021. Maybe you would like to attend? Maybe even as a speaker? Seria um grande prazer ouvir a sua palestra e conhecê-la! (It would be a great pleasure for me to attend your lecture and meet you!) International speakers are always welcome and attract huge crowds.

I am sure they have similar conferences in the US, the most famous being the ATA Annual Conference which this year shall be in Boston, Massachusetts (spelling?): https://ata61.org/, pandemic (and hurricanes) permitting. This way you can meet colleagues working in different language pairs for collaboration. This is what I do - sadly two major conferences here were cancelled due to covid.
Collapse

Katherine McMonagle (X)

Katherine McMonagle (X)
Katherine McMonagle (X)
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Conferences sound like a good idea Aug 28, 2020

Thanks Paul! I do hope that conferences can get up-and-running again soon as it sounds like a great way to network and find opportunities. Maybe there are some virtual ones I could look into.

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:37
Portuguese to English
+ ...
ATA Aug 28, 2020

I have just checked and the ATA Conference this year is online. This may be easier although less opportunities for networking. It saves you a train trip to Boston though - and no need to stay in a hotel!

Katherine McMonagle (X)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cold contacting translation agencies

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »