Any tips on how to start?
Thread poster: Tamires Costa
Tamires Costa
Tamires Costa
United States
Apr 12, 2021

Hello! I am currently working at a field that I do not like, and I also do not have the means to pay for a education... All I have is the fact that I can speak two languages (Portuguese - Brazilian and English). I have always had a passion for translating music, and that is how I learned English, so I thought that subtitling should be something that would make me happy. I am currently living in Idaho, US- but would love to get a remote job as a translator.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:44
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Tamires Apr 13, 2021

I’m sorry, but the only tip I can give you is that being a translator requires much more than being fluent in a foreign language. Education is a must either in translation itself or in another subject you’re an expert.

P.L.F. Persio
Rui Domingues
Robert Rietvelt
Nikki Scott-Despaigne
expressisverbis
Yuri Larin
Angus Stewart

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:44
French to English
Translation, interpreting, subtitling Apr 13, 2021

Perhaps it would be useful to search the above three activities. They are "cousins" but each requires specific skill sets.

I think if you search the forums in the "Getting established" section, you will find a number of discussions on the basics of getting started.

expressisverbis
Edward Potter

Ivana Kahle
Ivana Kahle  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:44
Member (2007)
German to Croatian
+ ...
Check Udemy Apr 14, 2021

There is a course on that topic on Udemy, but it's not for free.
The price is reasonable though.
Good luck!

expressisverbis

David Jones
David Jones  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 23:44
Chinese to English
+ ...
Proz forums are your friend Apr 16, 2021

Read and then re-read and then re-read again the getting established forum on Proz.com. It's full of useful information. Don't get disheartened, it's slow going in the beginning.

Edward Potter

Joy Donovan
Joy Donovan
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Research Apr 16, 2021

Hi Tamires,

I agree with the others. You will need more than just the ability to speak/comprehend two languages; that's unfortunately a misconception of many people who want to enter the language field. Industry knowledge and translation skills and strategies are also necessary.

With that being said, I would suggest you first do research to understand what is actually entailed in translation.
-What industry do you want to translate for? Maybe consider doing transl
... See more
Hi Tamires,

I agree with the others. You will need more than just the ability to speak/comprehend two languages; that's unfortunately a misconception of many people who want to enter the language field. Industry knowledge and translation skills and strategies are also necessary.

With that being said, I would suggest you first do research to understand what is actually entailed in translation.
-What industry do you want to translate for? Maybe consider doing translation work for the industry you're currently in, although you may decide you have more knowledge in the music industry.
-What tools are used in the industry and field? Do you know about CAT tools and do you have good dictionaries for your language pair?
-What is an appropriate rate? Proz also has a page for this: https://search.proz.com/employers/rates

These are just some questions you might want to consider before/while you're starting. I would also highly recommend finding some way to educate yourself in translation, whether it be webinars, online courses, or a university program. There are a lot more affordable and remote options these days. However, the investment is worth it, if it's really what you want to do.

Wishing you the best of luck on your journey!
Collapse

Ludovicap
Agnes Fatrai
Lisa Tremblay
deseji

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:44
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Groups Apr 17, 2021

Boa tarde Tamires,

There are many interesting FB groups you can enter, including Tradutor Iniciante and another group exclusively for beginners, something like 'iniciantes com medo de perguntar' (can't remember the name as I was refused entry).

Don't know if it is available in Idaho, but one suggestion is Ana Júlia Perrotti's 'Como ingressar no mercado de tradução'. Published by Editora Transitiva, so they may know how (and if) it can be sent to Idaho. Another great
... See more
Boa tarde Tamires,

There are many interesting FB groups you can enter, including Tradutor Iniciante and another group exclusively for beginners, something like 'iniciantes com medo de perguntar' (can't remember the name as I was refused entry).

Don't know if it is available in Idaho, but one suggestion is Ana Júlia Perrotti's 'Como ingressar no mercado de tradução'. Published by Editora Transitiva, so they may know how (and if) it can be sent to Idaho. Another great work is Laila Compan's 'Tradutor iniciante'.

Escola de Tradutores regularly has courses on 'Quero ser tradutor, e agora?' but once again I don't know how the course could be paid from the US. The next one is on 29 April at 19.30 to 22.30 Brasília time, at a cost of 128 reais (about 25 USD). https://www.escoladetradutores.com.br/cursos/tradutor.htm

Translating music could be interesting. I know someone who translated the Flamengo anthem into English and also the 'marchinhas de carnaval'. Just beware of author's rights considerations.

Beijos e boa noite,

PAUL
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »