How to apply SEO knowledge while translating websites?
Thread poster: JIAN LIU
JIAN LIU
JIAN LIU
China
Local time: 21:00
English to Chinese
Sep 11, 2020

When I am translating websites, client requires certain SEO knowledge. I read many SEO documents, but still not quite clear on how to do it. SEO is a big topic, and some SEO techniques got changed as time went by. As a translator, I think there are maybe two areas that I need most for the knowledge of SEO. For example, if I translate from Chinese to English.
1, Keywords
I need to find what is the best English keyword(e.g. here are some options: great scanner, excellent scanner... ) t
... See more
When I am translating websites, client requires certain SEO knowledge. I read many SEO documents, but still not quite clear on how to do it. SEO is a big topic, and some SEO techniques got changed as time went by. As a translator, I think there are maybe two areas that I need most for the knowledge of SEO. For example, if I translate from Chinese to English.
1, Keywords
I need to find what is the best English keyword(e.g. here are some options: great scanner, excellent scanner... ) to use. How could I know should I choose 'great scanner' or 'great scanner'...?
2, The rest of contents(tiltes, tags, discriptions, texts...)
I saw different opinions about it, some said: should use the keyword in the contents as many as possible, some said: use some, but do not use them too often/obviously. So what some basical principles for translator to follow?
Thanks.
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:00
Danish to English
+ ...
Google: write naturally Sep 11, 2020

The old days where you had to stuff a site with keywords and synonyms are gone. Google itself tells copywriters to write naturally for the user, not for the search engine. Keyword stuffing could be considered spam and result in search result penalties. Also, there is no need to list several synonyms nowadays, as Google automatically searches for synonyms.

Whether to write ‘great scanner’ or ‘excellent scanner’ is irrelevant for SEO purposes, but such adjectives don’t give
... See more
The old days where you had to stuff a site with keywords and synonyms are gone. Google itself tells copywriters to write naturally for the user, not for the search engine. Keyword stuffing could be considered spam and result in search result penalties. Also, there is no need to list several synonyms nowadays, as Google automatically searches for synonyms.

Whether to write ‘great scanner’ or ‘excellent scanner’ is irrelevant for SEO purposes, but such adjectives don’t give the user any useful information. You can always try to search and see if words like ‘great’ make any difference.

Old habits die hard and even today you’re still likely to find people insisting on keyword stuffing and lists of synonyms, because that’s what they did 20 years ago and they haven’t noticed that things have changed.

Of course, if you client has specific requirements, you need to take them into account.
Collapse

Erwin van Wouw
JIAN LIU
EHANLI

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to apply SEO knowledge while translating websites?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »