Version 9.4.11 When my PC occasionally blows up and I restart MemoQ my work is lost
Thread poster: gregfordreus
gregfordreus
gregfordreus
United Kingdom
Aug 23, 2020

I'm a Trados man, through and through. That said I find myself with a 200k project to be completed in MemoQ. That' fine. Problem is that when my PC occasionally blows up (MemoQ does something odd and falls over) and I restart MemoQ my work is sometimes lost.

Here's the thing. The project is made up of hundreds of small files. And so I've been gluing twenty or so files together at a time (more than 30 files means that a search and replace will take about a week). There are repetitio
... See more
I'm a Trados man, through and through. That said I find myself with a 200k project to be completed in MemoQ. That' fine. Problem is that when my PC occasionally blows up (MemoQ does something odd and falls over) and I restart MemoQ my work is sometimes lost.

Here's the thing. The project is made up of hundreds of small files. And so I've been gluing twenty or so files together at a time (more than 30 files means that a search and replace will take about a week). There are repetitions and the auto-propagation function does work within views or single documents. When I re-open a view or an individual document and find that the target segments are no longer as I left them, low and behold the TM entries ARE as I left them. The TM, which is online, is evidently being updated correctly.

I know from many years of experience with Trados that if this were a Trados project and the same thing were to happen, then upon re-starting Trados simply confirming the first segment would result in Trados sequentially completing all subsequent 100% match target segments.

I can find absolutely no way to encourage MemoQ to do the same thing. I'm faced with having to press Ctrl+1 a few hundred times in order to return to where I was before the latest crash or hang.

Has this problem been encountered before? Is there a solution do you think?

PC just a few months old. Works perfectly. SSD hard drive, fastest computer I've ever owned.
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 19:37
Danish to English
+ ...
Pre-translate Aug 23, 2020

You can always run Pre-translate under the Preparation tab, but it's odd that a new PC (with Windows 10, I presume) crashes so often. I can only recall one so-called blue screen of death during the two years I've been using Windows 10.

You may want to contact MemoQ support, as it could be a technical problem (you don't need your own licence to report bugs). I have not encountered any similar problem with MemoQ. Even when my old PC with Windows 7 crashed more frequently, MemoQ didn't
... See more
You can always run Pre-translate under the Preparation tab, but it's odd that a new PC (with Windows 10, I presume) crashes so often. I can only recall one so-called blue screen of death during the two years I've been using Windows 10.

You may want to contact MemoQ support, as it could be a technical problem (you don't need your own licence to report bugs). I have not encountered any similar problem with MemoQ. Even when my old PC with Windows 7 crashed more frequently, MemoQ didn't lose anything else than the current segment.
Collapse

Katherine Mérignac
Katherine Mérignac  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:37
Member (2004)
Odd indeed Aug 24, 2020

I find this odd too, I do all my work in MemoQ, have done for ten years, and it probably crashes once a month max. - it was in fact one of the reasons I switched from Trados initially, not only it didn't crash but also customer support generally responded very quickly. I also glue all the documents together as a 'view' for most projects, and it always works smoothly. Another thing that seems odd is that you lose your work. Whenever MQ does crash, my work is always exactly as I've left it when I... See more
I find this odd too, I do all my work in MemoQ, have done for ten years, and it probably crashes once a month max. - it was in fact one of the reasons I switched from Trados initially, not only it didn't crash but also customer support generally responded very quickly. I also glue all the documents together as a 'view' for most projects, and it always works smoothly. Another thing that seems odd is that you lose your work. Whenever MQ does crash, my work is always exactly as I've left it when I restart the program, whether or not I've entered the segment in the TM.

Maybe it's something to do with the version you've installed? Or it could be because you're working on an online project, so something to do with the connection? You might want to try checking Manual Synchronization under Documents/Synchronization Behavior. You can synchronize regularly to make sure your work is saved (if you're nervous about losing work). To be fair, I very rarely work on online projects and if I do always avoid being permanently connected to the server.

As Thomas said, it's worthwhile sending a support ticket (if you say it's urgent they should get back to you quite quickly): https://helpcenter.memoq.com/hc/en-us/requests/new.
Collapse

gregfordreus
gregfordreus
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
Title of my reply? I'm the one who posted the question in the first place.... Aug 24, 2020

Yes, the Blue Screen of Death, thankfully it has been many, many years since I've seen one of those. The application just hangs and decides not to respond. Anyway, news, I think I may have found the problem. I think it's associated with the translation agency's paranoia. I tried pre-translating one of the files from the project (I'd completed it yesterday, every target segment has its own correct TM result) - nill, nunca nada, niente. I tried all of the available options - zilch.

R
... See more
Yes, the Blue Screen of Death, thankfully it has been many, many years since I've seen one of those. The application just hangs and decides not to respond. Anyway, news, I think I may have found the problem. I think it's associated with the translation agency's paranoia. I tried pre-translating one of the files from the project (I'd completed it yesterday, every target segment has its own correct TM result) - nill, nunca nada, niente. I tried all of the available options - zilch.

Rummaging through the settings I discovered this:

Settings are locked by the project manager
Machine translation is not configured for this target language

Somehow, somewhere, when the application tries to populate target segments it's becoming discombobulated by some deep, dark and mysterious configuration setting.

I'll try to explain to the PM what's happening and if they say, "non me ne frega niente", I'll just carry on regardless - after all, the proof that I've done the work lies in the TM, no?

But thanks ever so much for taking the time to reply)
Collapse

Kathryn Britton
Kathryn Britton
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:37
Italian to English
so it wasn't just me ... Aug 25, 2020

Ten nightmare days with MemoQ (and I am a huge MemoQ fan) ...... Hope you found a solution (in all honesty, I had to walk away ..... the stress of working for hours and then seeing it all undone and worse, trying to change a fuzzy back to the correct translation (which the TM had kept) for MemoQ to then reject my translation and confirm the fuzzy!!! a complete nightmare

gregfordreus
gregfordreus
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
Yes resolved, sort of, depending on your point of view Aug 25, 2020

I'm not about to say dark words about memoQ - not constructive. Let's look on the bright site, my productivity is up! After 35 years working in engineering design you'd think I'd be wary of assumptions - not a hope. I wrongly assumed that memoQ, upon having a big fat juicy 100% match to work with would follow in the footsteps of Trados and auto compete a previously populated target segment. Ohhhh no. IF the segment is clear then yes, by all means, works like magic, otherwise niente. So then, you... See more
I'm not about to say dark words about memoQ - not constructive. Let's look on the bright site, my productivity is up! After 35 years working in engineering design you'd think I'd be wary of assumptions - not a hope. I wrongly assumed that memoQ, upon having a big fat juicy 100% match to work with would follow in the footsteps of Trados and auto compete a previously populated target segment. Ohhhh no. IF the segment is clear then yes, by all means, works like magic, otherwise niente. So then, you have to clear a shed load of target segments , select pre-translate and then Ctl+Enter to confirm. Wish I'd known that four days ago when I started out upon this adventure.

The PM at the agency has been sending e-mails backwards and forwards, here there any everywhere, mainly to memoQ technical support. Now when I synchronise the project, I see a little message saying your MT settings are being updated. I must admit that I do quite like the friendly little messages that are dotted about the UI.

So then, in summary, no one has the foggiest idea why I lost my work but the good news is that it hasn't happened since, I was at 32% then, I'm at 50% as of close of play today. I've also made friends with the search and replace dialogues and, most importantly, I now know how to drive the pre-translate engine.

One annoying detail, I also lost a load of text notes. One of them was a particularly interesting discourse regarding Philips and crosshead screwdrivers. No, it really was quite interesting. Absolutely can't be bothered to re-write it...

...trying to change a fuzzy back to the correct translation (which the TM had kept) for MemoQ to then reject my translation and confirm the fuzzy!!!...

That's a bit under the belt Kathryn. I feel your pain. You probably know how to drive memoQ far better than I - just to say that I use the funky "search for something and chuck all of the results onto a separate tab" feature quite a lot now. It searches all of the documents - all 8 million of them - within the project. Within that search tab you can then change whatever and re-confirm just those segments. Quietly quite impressed with that functionality.
Collapse

gregfordreus
gregfordreus
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
*ugger me, it's done it again! Aug 31, 2020

I was at 100% at close of play last night. Came to came to have a look at the QA step this morning and, hey-ho, 90% complete. Basically all of the work from yesterday has been lost. How great is that? Dis I synchronise the project last night? Yes I did. I can sort it easily enough insofar as all of the solution were duly written to the TM. Pero' che cose rottonde ragazzi!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Version 9.4.11 When my PC occasionally blows up and I restart MemoQ my work is lost

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »