Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 22:13
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Nov 16, 2020

Hello everyone

Is it possible, in a view, to filter out all but one instance of a repetition? Alternatively, if that is not possible, is it possible to set a filter that will show only repeating segments (and then set another filter later that shows only non-repeating segments)?

I tried using advanced filters, using "Status > Repetition" (oddly, you can select both "Repetition" and "Not a repetition" at the same time).

Anyway, if I select "Repetition" in t
... See more
Hello everyone

Is it possible, in a view, to filter out all but one instance of a repetition? Alternatively, if that is not possible, is it possible to set a filter that will show only repeating segments (and then set another filter later that shows only non-repeating segments)?

I tried using advanced filters, using "Status > Repetition" (oddly, you can select both "Repetition" and "Not a repetition" at the same time).

Anyway, if I select "Repetition" in the advanced filter, no segments are shown (the segment list comes up empty). But if I cancel the filter and then sort by frequency, I can see hundreds of repetitions (i.e. identical segments).

So, how does that work? Does MemoQ use the word "repetition" or something else, perhaps?

Thanks
Samuel

[Edited at 2020-11-16 15:01 GMT]
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
It is a possibility in the views Nov 16, 2020

When you create a view, choose the Advanced options, and there you choose "Minimum frequency:" 2 and disable "Keep duplicates". This should do it!

Craig Thomas Smith

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
"Repetition" is based upon segment status Nov 16, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:
Anyway, if I select "Repetition" in the advanced filter, no segments are shown (the segment list comes up empty). But if I cancel the filter and then sort by frequency, I can see hundreds of repetitions (i.e. identical segments).

To me, when you use "Status" you are working with the status of segments; if you have not translated them yet, they have a Not started status. Using "Repetition" with Status would require that you have already had repetitions by propagation, i.e. your document is translated and has some segments that are translated, but are repetitions.

If what you need is to translate all repetitions of something that is not translated yet, it would be the Frequency route, I would say.

Katherine Mérignac
Katherine Mérignac  Identity Verified
France
Member (2004)
Auto-propogated Nov 16, 2020

Hi Samuel,
You can also try ticking the Auto-propogated box in Advanced filters/Status.
I do that quite regularly to isolate the segments that have been auto-propogated (so the first and original instance of the segment is not selected), to then lock them and exclude them from a bilingual export in Word for proofreading.
You simply have to remember to unlock the segments when you import your proofread Word document to ensure all instances of the segment are updated when you c
... See more
Hi Samuel,
You can also try ticking the Auto-propogated box in Advanced filters/Status.
I do that quite regularly to isolate the segments that have been auto-propogated (so the first and original instance of the segment is not selected), to then lock them and exclude them from a bilingual export in Word for proofreading.
You simply have to remember to unlock the segments when you import your proofread Word document to ensure all instances of the segment are updated when you confirm the original segment (if you've made changes).
I hope that makes some kind of sense!!!
Kate
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Thomas Nov 16, 2020

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT wrote:
When you create a view, choose the Advanced options, and there you choose "Minimum frequency:" 2 and disable "Keep duplicates". This should do it!

Thanks, that sounds like an idea.

I had my suspicions that "repetition" would not mean in MemoQ what repetition usually means in the world outside of MemoQ, but it's good to know that there is an alternative way to skin the cat.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 00:13
English to Russian
Min. frequency: 1 + 'Keep duplicates' unchecked Nov 16, 2020

If you want to see first instances among other non-rep segments, the 'Min. frequency' value must be 1. If you choose 2 instead, the result will show you the first instances only, net of other segments.

[Edited at 2020-11-16 18:23 GMT]

SpecializedTR

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to filter repetitions

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »