Copywriting rates
Thread poster: Elena Doroshenko
Elena Doroshenko
Elena Doroshenko  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
Oct 11, 2017

Dear colleagues, tell me please about rates (per hour or other) for copywriting, if you know. Sometimes I receive such offers from agencies. I have the copywriting experience in my previous office life where money was paid on a salary basis, so I don't know what price I should set.
Thank you in advance!

Dr. Matthias Schauen
Dr. Matthias Schauen  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:17
Member (2007)
English to German
70-120 € per hour Oct 11, 2017

Hi Elena,

Just to get things rolling: A German professional copywriters association published the results of a study in 2008, with a rate of 70-120 € per hour (2 hours minimum):
http://www.mediafon.net/meldung_volltext.php3?id=4368f47e5632b&akt=empfehlungen_empfehlungen (text in German).

Best wishes
Matth
... See more
Hi Elena,

Just to get things rolling: A German professional copywriters association published the results of a study in 2008, with a rate of 70-120 € per hour (2 hours minimum):
http://www.mediafon.net/meldung_volltext.php3?id=4368f47e5632b&akt=empfehlungen_empfehlungen (text in German).

Best wishes
Matthias

[Edited at 2017-10-12 07:34 GMT]
Collapse

The Misha
The Misha
Local time: 12:17
Russian to English
+ ...
Not to be a critic, Oct 12, 2017

but if you plan to be writing copy in English as your profile suggests, based on the four lines of your original post, I'd say your copy will be very unlikely to command "70-120 € per hour" regardless of what the German copywriters association says.

Connected Tr (X)
Connected Tr (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:17
Chinese to English
+ ...
English copywriters Oct 12, 2017

See here for the rates charged by copywriters in England—apparently £339 per day on average.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Your normal rate Oct 13, 2017

Surely you should simply charge the same per hour for copywriting as you do for translation, given that either way they are just buying an hour of your time?

The real problem, I find, is that they want to know *how many hours* you need to do the job, which can be very difficult to judge. Think of a number and double it.

dropinka (X)
dropinka (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Per project Oct 13, 2017

Copywriting should be charged per project, not per hour. The value of your work does not depend on the time it took you to produce it.

Claudia

Elena Doroshenko
Elena Doroshenko  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Quintessentialized Uzhossss Oct 15, 2017

The Misha wrote:

but if you plan to be writing copy in English as your profile suggests, based on the four lines of your original post, I'd say your copy will be very unlikely to command "70-120 € per hour" regardless of what the German copywriters association says.

The Misha, it seems to me your tension has been quintessentialized in this post. Thank you for your "Uzhossss" and glad that is not "Uzhossss-Uzhossss-Uzhossss" as in commonly known - Odessan? - anecdote. To make you calm, I don't pretend to write copies in English (however I have got such experience), but only in my native language. If I'd like to put some ideas into English words, as a rater of my job you'd be the first to know.

[Редактировалось 2017-10-16 02:24 GMT]

Luke Hubbard (X)
Luke Hubbard (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:17
German to English
In agreement Oct 20, 2017

dropinka wrote:

Copywriting should be charged per project, not per hour. The value of your work does not depend on the time it took you to produce it.

Claudia

I agree with Claudia

You need to take into account the size of the project and target audience. Will it be distributed nationwide or only locally? Will you have to have meetings with them? Will you have to do extra research? There are many factors to consider and I would say once you've got these factors sorted out, you can then estimate how long it will take to produce the copy.

Regards

Ehsan Kiani

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Copywriting rates

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »