German banking TANS
Thread poster: Rebecca Holmes
Rebecca Holmes
Rebecca Holmes
United States
Local time: 13:43
German to English
Mar 14, 2019

I live and work in the US but maintain a bank account in Germany. 99% of my clients pay into this account and I make an international transfer once a month into my US bank account. This transfer requires a TAN number. Until now, my German bank sent me a list of about 50 TANs for this purpose on paper in the mail.
Now I have received notification that they are doing away with paper-based TANs. As of May 31, the only way to get TANs for completing online transactions will be a) through Germa
... See more
I live and work in the US but maintain a bank account in Germany. 99% of my clients pay into this account and I make an international transfer once a month into my US bank account. This transfer requires a TAN number. Until now, my German bank sent me a list of about 50 TANs for this purpose on paper in the mail.
Now I have received notification that they are doing away with paper-based TANs. As of May 31, the only way to get TANs for completing online transactions will be a) through German apps that generate the TANs or b) by having a TAN sent to a German mobile phone number.
Because I live and work in the US, I have a US smartphone with the US Google Play Store on it. It will not allow me to access or download the German apps (specifically these are 1822TAN+ and QRTAN+). I would need the German Google Play Store for that. I cannot have a TAN sent to my phone either, because it is a US mobile number, not a German one.
So essentially as of May 31 I will have no way of completing money transfers from my German account. This is NOT good.
Has anyone encountered the same problem? Any workarounds or suggestions?
Thank you!
Collapse

James Heppe-Smith
James Heppe-Smith  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 20:43
German to English

Moderator of this forum
Two possible solutions Mar 14, 2019

Hi Rebecca,

Two ideas which came to mind.

My bank here (Sparkasse) stopped producing paper TAN lists a few years ago. They provide a TAN generator which, using your bank card, scans a "bar code" on the website page when you need a TAN. This then appears on the generator, you enter it and Bob's your uncle. I think you can purchase these from your bank, but they may also be available online.

Second idea, and one which may be easier, is to get an international
... See more
Hi Rebecca,

My bank here (Sparkasse) stopped producing paper TAN lists a few years ago. They provide a TAN generator which, using your bank card, scans a "bar code" on the website page when you need a TAN. This then appears on the generator, you enter it and Bob's your uncle. I think you can purchase these from your bank, but they may also be available online.

Second idea, and one which may be easier, is to get an international account (I use Transferwise, other firms are available) which provide you with IBAN and BIC (for Euro accounts), GBP Account no & sort code, USD, AUD and I think NZD account numbers.

This comes with a mastercard, or you can convert to USD and transfer to your account in the US. I believe that they offer individual and business accounts.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your search.

James
Collapse

Julio Madrid

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:43
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Create another Google Play Account (different e-mail & Country) and download the app Mar 14, 2019

Dear Rebecca,

the downloading problem can be solved creating another Google Play account with different e-mail and Country. I did have the same issue the other way round with my US phone - I couldn't download the US apps having the phone "linked" to an Austrian account - "not available in your store". Therefore, I created a new account choosing the US as Country. And now I can switch from the menu between the two accounts on both phones, a charm.

Giuliana

Veronika Hoffmann
Veronika Hoffmann
Germany
Local time: 19:43
English to German
TAN generator? Mar 14, 2019

Hi Rebecca,

Is a TAN generator not an option? I don't know if all the banks offer this, but Sparda Bank does (and they're one of the few banks who still offer free accounts). It's a little gadget you slip your EC-Karte into, then you hold it up to a flickering field on the screen and it will generate a TAN for you. It's a strange system but it works. TAN generators are about 15 EUR or so.

Veronika

Rebecca Holmes
Rebecca Holmes
United States
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
How to set up alternative Gmail account with the "right" country information,? Mar 15, 2019

How did you create another Google Play account? Is it "just" another Gmail account? I tried setting up another gmail account and toggling between the two in Google Play. I can toggle between the two accounts, but when setting the new account up in Google it never asked me for a physical address or country, so Google Play "knows" it is still also q US account and shows the US Google Play. How do I create a "German" account if it never asks for country information?
Can you tell me exactly ho
... See more
How did you create another Google Play account? Is it "just" another Gmail account? I tried setting up another gmail account and toggling between the two in Google Play. I can toggle between the two accounts, but when setting the new account up in Google it never asked me for a physical address or country, so Google Play "knows" it is still also q US account and shows the US Google Play. How do I create a "German" account if it never asks for country information?
Can you tell me exactly how you set up your new account with the "right" country settings to get the "right" coutry version of Google Play?

Giuliana Buscaglione wrote:

Dear Rebecca,

the downloading problem can be solved creating another Google Play account with different e-mail and Country. I did have the same issue the other way round with my US phone - I couldn't download the US apps having the phone "linked" to an Austrian account - "not available in your store". Therefore, I created a new account choosing the US as Country. And now I can switch from the menu between the two accounts on both phones, a charm.

Giuliana
Collapse

RobinB
RobinB  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:43
German to English
Workarounds Mar 15, 2019

Hi Rebecca,

The reason they're getting rid of paper TANs is the EU PS2 Directive.

Please contact me via PM (check my ATA profile for details) to discuss workarounds for this problem. It's too sensitive to discuss in an open forum

Robin

Juno Bos
Juno Bos  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2011)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Had the same issue Mar 15, 2019

Normally this happens when you are on a foreign network while trying to download the banking app. At least that is the issue I had with my Dutch bank.
My possible solution (hope this works for you): Download an app to use a German VPN network from Google Play Store (there are several VPN app's to use for free). Activate the VPN, download the app you need, activate it and you should be able to use this app on any network.
Also as mentioned before, Transferwise is also a very handy s
... See more
Normally this happens when you are on a foreign network while trying to download the banking app. At least that is the issue I had with my Dutch bank.
My possible solution (hope this works for you): Download an app to use a German VPN network from Google Play Store (there are several VPN app's to use for free). Activate the VPN, download the app you need, activate it and you should be able to use this app on any network.
Also as mentioned before, Transferwise is also a very handy solution for international transfers.
Collapse

Julio Madrid

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
German phone number? Mar 15, 2019

Rebecca Holmes wrote:

Can you tell me exactly how you set up your new account with the "right" country settings to get the "right" coutry version of Google Play?

Perhaps you´ll need a German phone number (SIM card of a German provider) running on your mobile.

Alena Povolná

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:43
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
See my message Mar 15, 2019

Dear Rebecca,

I have sent you a message. A VPN could be a solution, but I am not sure it works for all apps, especially as far as sensitive ones are concerned, i.e. might be able to download them, but not to use them actively.

Giuliana

Rebecca Holmes
Rebecca Holmes
United States
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Transferwise Mar 15, 2019

Thanks so much, James. So is Transferwise like having a "European/German" bank account?
My customers could pay into that via IBAN and BIC and then I could transfer the money out to my American business account once a month?
If so, that would be perfect....

James Heppe-Smith wrote:

Hi Rebecca,

Second idea, and one which may be easier, is to get an international account (I use Transferwise, other firms are available) which provide you with IBAN and BIC (for Euro accounts), GBP Account no & sort code, USD, AUD and I think NZD account numbers.

This comes with a mastercard, or you can convert to USD and transfer to your account in the US. I believe that they offer individual and business accounts.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your search.

James

Julio Madrid

Rebecca Holmes
Rebecca Holmes
United States
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 15, 2019

Hi Giuliana,

Thanks so much for your suggestions. I have tried both the VPN app route to connect to a German server and establishing a new Gmail account. Neither of them work for me. When I go into Google Play, it is still the US Google Play.
I will keep trying though. Something will work eventually.
Lucky you living in three countries! What fun!

Many thanks,s
Rebecca

Giuliana Buscaglione wrote:

Dear Rebecca,

Giuliana

Rebecca Holmes
Rebecca Holmes
United States
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
SIM Card Option Mar 15, 2019

Hi Matthias,

That is going to be my next technical approach.
Neither the VPN nor the different Google account is working for me.
My provider is TMobile, so if anybody knows if I can get a German SIM card and get it to work in my phone, it would be them.
I am going to check with a branch here next week. I will let you know what they say.
Thank you for trying to help!

Many kind regards,
Rebecca

Matthias Brombach wrote:

Rebecca Holmes wrote:

Perhaps you´ll need a German phone number (SIM card of a German provider) running on your mobile.

Rebecca Holmes
Rebecca Holmes
United States
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
TAN Generator Mar 15, 2019

Hi Veronika,

That sounds like something from StarTrek! I am intrigued...
I don't know if my bank offers that or not. If they do, they have not told me about it.
I will call them next week and ask.

Thanks so much for trying to help.

Many kind regards,
Rebecca

Veronika Hoffmann wrote:

Hi Rebecca,

Is a TAN generator not an option? I don't know if all the banks offer this, but Sparda Bank does (and they're one of the few banks who still offer free accounts). It's a little gadget you slip your EC-Karte into, then you hold it up to a flickering field on the screen and it will generate a TAN for you. It's a strange system but it works. TAN generators are about 15 EUR or so.

Veronika

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:43
Danish to English
+ ...
SIM and 1822 Direkt Mar 15, 2019

Rebecca Holmes wrote:

That is going to be my next technical approach.
Neither the VPN nor the different Google account is working for me.
My provider is TMobile, so if anybody knows if I can get a German SIM card and get it to work in my phone, it would be them.

Matthias Brombach wrote:

You could try to get a SIM card from for example a German Lidl store. You buy the card in the shop and activate it online. I could post it to you if you pay the fees. You need a credit card for automatic topping up. I cannot guarantee that it will work and that you can register it with a foreign address and credit card, but it may be worth a try. Still, 1822 Direkt will charge you a small amount for each text message.

You could also simply ask the bank if they are aware of the Google Play store problem, and if the app could be made more generally available. They may not be aware of the problem. That would be the best solution. I was not aware of the geoblocking. I have banking apps from other European countries. It wasn't a problem to find them. But maybe the Play store is common for the EU. This 1822 Direkt app is quite new, so this problem may be something they still need to fix.

Ali Göznek
Ali Göznek  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 20:43
German to Turkish
+ ...
Try PayPal or Payoneer Mar 15, 2019

Hi Rebecca,
My suggestion is kind of radical.
You can try PayPal or Payoneer and eliminate the need to have a bank account in Germany.
As PayPal is the most common money transfer tool I recommend that.
I hope this helps you for the transfers from now on.
Ali

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

German banking TANS

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »