Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >
Off topic: Resuscitation of 20 years old threads is disturbing
Thread poster: Angie Garbarino
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 19:55
Chinese to English
+ ...
I once was blind, but now I see the light Feb 17, 2021

So we have this necroposting ‘rule’, which someone in his (surely a male) infinite wisdom defined for some obscure reason, believing that His word must surely be the law for everybody on the planet, and why not the entire Universe and beyond?

And necroposting is bad because people who subscribe to the view that once a ‘netiquette’ rule has been defined by some dictatorial hack, no sin on Earth – or in the entire Universe, for that matter, as I hinted – is worse than brea
... See more
So we have this necroposting ‘rule’, which someone in his (surely a male) infinite wisdom defined for some obscure reason, believing that His word must surely be the law for everybody on the planet, and why not the entire Universe and beyond?

And necroposting is bad because people who subscribe to the view that once a ‘netiquette’ rule has been defined by some dictatorial hack, no sin on Earth – or in the entire Universe, for that matter, as I hinted – is worse than breaking it, so insulting the perpetrator is par for the course, whereas ‘religious’ netiquette followers secretly hope the miserable sod will be slowly roasted over an open fire.

One must conclude that it is bad because the netiquette scriptures say it is bad, and thus the ‘religious’ followers will demonstrate how bad it is by posting nasty comments that make it clear how bad it is, so they can feel vindicated in their self-righteous and glorious beliefs.

Now that we all agree the OP is wrong, let us all fall in line and move along
Collapse

Jean Dimitriadis
Daryo

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Point made Feb 17, 2021

Context is everything: https://www.proz.com/forum/off_topic/5384-making_own_music_cds_with_mp3_files-page3.html#2889821

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:55
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Buttons Feb 17, 2021

His Ownership should just add two buttons next to the "Agree" one.
"Ignore" and "Bill" (for time wasted).

Angie Garbarino
P.L.F. Persio
Daryo

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Lincoln Hui
Hong Kong
Chinese to English
+ ...
Falling in line Feb 17, 2021

Like I've said multiple times, I'm just falling in line with the community's stance that snark, one-line responses to 20 year-old threads that are completely anachronistic and do nobody any good are to be defended, encouraged and promoted. Criticism of necroposting is not just self-righteous, it's also misogynistic.

It seems rather disproportionate to start a new thread to complain about what the community has declared to be not just perfectly normal, but above reproach.

Daryo

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not against the rules Feb 17, 2021

Lincoln Hui wrote:

It seems rather disproportionate to start a new thread to complain about what the community has declared to be not just perfectly normal, but above reproach.

In my opinion there is problem here, so I decided to make it explicit. Forums here are very important, and I would like to avoid they become like Facebook. Resuscitating some of them (not all of them) is childish and disrespectful.

Zibow Retailleau
expressisverbis

Lincoln Hui
Hong Kong
Chinese to English
+ ...
Well then Feb 17, 2021

You'll have to take it up with the community. I am simply following what my white masters have decreed in no uncertain terms. It is not my place to have free will.

[Edited at 2021-02-17 08:50 GMT]

Daryo

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:55
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Anachronistic Feb 17, 2021

Lincoln Hui wrote:

..... 20 year-old threads that are completely anachronistic ....

As it happens, I like things that are completely anachronistic and 20 years old, or even 200 years old. I find them useful and relevant. If you're not interested in them yourself, just leave them. They're not bothering you.

P.L.F. Persio
Daryo

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Not sure... Feb 17, 2021

what race has to do with it. White masters?

[Edited at 2021-02-17 10:02 GMT]

Angie Garbarino
Rachel Fell
P.L.F. Persio
Zibow Retailleau
expressisverbis

Lincoln Hui
Hong Kong
Chinese to English
+ ...
Well then... Feb 17, 2021

Tom in London wrote:

Lincoln Hui wrote:

..... 20 year-old threads that are completely anachronistic ....

As it happens, I like things that are completely anachronistic and 20 years old, or even 200 years old. I find them useful and relevant. If you're not interested in them yourself, just leave them. They're not bothering you.

Well then, you have nothing to complain. Our interests are completely aligned. And Angie has nothing to complain either; if she's not interested in them, she should leave them because they're not bothering her.

[Edited at 2021-02-17 09:38 GMT]

Lincoln Hui
Hong Kong
Chinese to English
+ ...
Who knows? Feb 17, 2021

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

But we are certainly in agreement that gender has something to do with this self-righteous, religious crusade against necroposting?

Daryo

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The gender what? Feb 17, 2021

Now it is really impossible to understand your sentences, and this is not a matter of native or non native language.

[Edited at 2021-02-17 10:53 GMT]

Tom in London
Kay Denney
Andy Watkinson
expressisverbis

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
I have to apologize! Feb 17, 2021

Lincoln Hui wrote:

I am simply following what my white masters have decreed in no uncertain terms. It is not my place to have free will.

I see now that it was me who started this endless flow of legacy posts, because I ordered Lincoln to do so, as can be seen here:

https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/819-are_we_officially_in_recession-page2.html#2891488

(please scroll a bit up, when the link opens)

You may please forgive him, that he doesn't realize that proz.com wasn't alive in those times (at least not online and I don't know when they started with their printed edition): That's why he keeps on searching, and searching, and searching ...
Lincoln, stop it! Now!

P.L.F. Persio
Angie Garbarino
Chiara Foppa Pedretti
Tom in London

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Not really... Feb 17, 2021

Lincoln Hui wrote:

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

But we are certainly in agreement that gender has something to do with this self-righteous, religious crusade against necroposting?

Not everybody shows their gender here...

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Resuscitation of 20 years old threads is disturbing

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »