Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:05
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 23, 2002

Dear colleagues: In fact, this is not my posting, but Robert Ingledew\'s (who had entered it as a Kudoz question)

Regards,

Clarisa Moraña

Robert says:

While the present situation in Argentina is not easy for the general population, with 53% living below the poverty level, Argentina has become a paradise for foreign tourists. For the same price you pay for two Trac3 razor blades, you can stay one night at a modest hotel, or
... See more
Dear colleagues: In fact, this is not my posting, but Robert Ingledew\'s (who had entered it as a Kudoz question)

Regards,

Clarisa Moraña

Robert says:

While the present situation in Argentina is not easy for the general population, with 53% living below the poverty level, Argentina has become a paradise for foreign tourists. For the same price you pay for two Trac3 razor blades, you can stay one night at a modest hotel, or have lunch or dinner at an all-you-can-eat grill (wine included). We are talking of an expense of less than 3 US Dollars for the night at the hotel or for the meal. An 8 day tour to the beatiful Iguazú waterfalls, including a 5 day stay at the Sheraton hotel overlooking the falls, airfare from Buenos Aires, breakfast, and all dinners included, is costing less than 200 US Dollars. Can you just imagine it?

It is expected that next Summer many tourists from other countries will take advantage of these incredible bargains to visit one of the most beautiful countries in the world.

(to say the truth, I really don´t need this translation, but believe that the Proz translators should not miss this opportunity)

TOURISM

Quien formula la pregunta: Robert INGLEDEW

Aug 23 1:02pm

Notes addedAsker: PLEASE NOT THIS

I am referring to the prices in Mar del Plata, a seaside Summer resort. Prices in Buenos Aires and other destinations are more expensive, but still incredibly cheap.

Asker: sorry for the typo

SORRY, PLEASE NOTE THIS

Asker: YOU CAN CHECK THIS INFORMATION, IF YOU WISH

Just to give you an idea, and not to recommend any specific service, have a look at this site: www.ativiajes.com

Asker: values in US$

Divide the rates in Pesos given at the site by 3.5 to obtain the values in Dollars.

Divide the rates in Pesos given at the site by 3.5 to obtain the values in Dollars.

Collapse

MikeGarcia
MikeGarcia  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
YOU HAVE MY VOTE. Aug 23, 2002

Robert is a very wise person, and I mean it, and Clarisa is a very wise lady. I can only add what I said to a good friend of mine , a well known journalist, literary man and poet, Esteban Peicovich, \" los pueblos tienen los gobiernos que se merecen \" and he left me jaw - open when he said \" no, Miguel, tienen los gobiernos que se les parecen \".

TGIF and have the best possible week - end, all of you, dear colleagues and friends.

Miguel.-
[addsig]

Patricia Posadas
Patricia Posadas  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
Argentina ... Aug 24, 2002

I can\'t agree on the fact that people get the governments they deserve, neither do they get governments that resemble them!

I can\'t agree that the Argentinians I have \'met\' at Proz or in my country fall into any of these categories.

The situation is hard enough to add defeatism to it. Argentinians are the victims, not the tyrants!

And the situation in Argentina is not an isolated one either. How about Venezuela or Uruguay to ment
... See more
I can\'t agree on the fact that people get the governments they deserve, neither do they get governments that resemble them!

I can\'t agree that the Argentinians I have \'met\' at Proz or in my country fall into any of these categories.

The situation is hard enough to add defeatism to it. Argentinians are the victims, not the tyrants!

And the situation in Argentina is not an isolated one either. How about Venezuela or Uruguay to mention but two examples?

Just as detectives do when they look for the author of a murder, I wonder ... Who benefits from this situation?, Who has an interest in it? Not Argentinians, not Venezuelans, not Uruguayans.

You have just given a cue ... tour operators? I\'m kidding
Collapse

Clarisa Moraña
United States
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tourism Aug 24, 2002

I believe that Robert is talking about tourism in Argentina. This is a beautiful country plenty of landscapes that deserve to be seen: the Train to the clouds, the incredible Bariloche, Iguassu falls, and of course, Buenos Aires city, with the café El Tortoni, Caminito, Av. de Mayo, Plaza Francia. I forgot many other places that right now are very cheap for the foreign tourist.

Regards,

Clarisa Moraña

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-
... See more
I believe that Robert is talking about tourism in Argentina. This is a beautiful country plenty of landscapes that deserve to be seen: the Train to the clouds, the incredible Bariloche, Iguassu falls, and of course, Buenos Aires city, with the café El Tortoni, Caminito, Av. de Mayo, Plaza Francia. I forgot many other places that right now are very cheap for the foreign tourist.

Regards,

Clarisa Moraña

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-24 04:09 ]
Collapse

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 04:05
Chinese to English
+ ...
Which is worse? Feb 26, 2021

The situation in Argentina, or the situation in Brazil?

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
English to German
+ ...
Which is worse? Feb 26, 2021

Lincoln Hui wrote:

Hi
what's the point in digging out messages dating back as far as 2002?

Clarisa Moraña
Cilian O'Tuama
Angie Garbarino
expressisverbis

Clarisa Moraña
United States
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Off topic off topic Feb 26, 2021

Lincoln Hui wrote:

I suggest you to read newspapers, from different sources and points of view, and them draw up your own conclusions.
The post you are quoting is 19 years old!

Baran Keki
Cilian O'Tuama
Angie Garbarino
expressisverbis

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
It might be a better idea to start your own threads Feb 27, 2021

rather than reviving SUCH old ones.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
He is doing it on purpose... Feb 27, 2021

Cilian O'Tuama wrote:

But, obviously, you don't mind, given your answer in the other thread.

Angie Garbarino

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 04:05
Chinese to English
+ ...
And... Feb 27, 2021

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

Cilian O'Tuama wrote:

But, obviously, you don't mind, given your answer in the other thread.

Neither do a lot of people, given their answers in other threads

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
I've said... Feb 27, 2021

Lincoln Hui wrote:

Neither do a lot of people, given their answers in other threads

...what I had to say on the matter. I'm out. Enjoy your silliness.

Angie Garbarino
Wolfgang Schoene
expressisverbis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

THE CONTRADICTIONS OF ARGENTINA

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »