Thread poster: Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:18
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Apr 3, 2007

Can any kind French colleagues tell me the correct way to pronounce the name of the French composer Poulenc?
I listen to the BBC's Radio 3 a lot - an erudite channel mostly for classical music.
The announcers *always* pronounce Poulenc as if it ended in "in", as in "vin" or "individu", but I thought that "en" in French should be pronounced with an "open" vowel, as in "encre", "rentrée", etc.
Please enlighten me!
Jenny.

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:18
English to Hungarian
+ ...
The Longman Pronunciation Dictionary says Apr 3, 2007

Poulenc ["pu:l\ae\ng || French: pul\~\ae k]
where
\ae is raised open front unrounded wovel, English "trap, bad",
\ng is the voiced velar nasal, English "ng"
while \~\ae is the nazalized raised open front unrounded wovel, French "in" (like in "pain").
HTH
Attila

[Edited at 2007-04-03 08:34]

Jennifer Forbes
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Thanks, Attila Apr 3, 2007

Attila Piróth wrote:

Poulenc ["pu:l\ae\ng || French: pul\~\ae k]
where
\ae is raised open front unrounded wovel, English "trap, bad",
\ng is the voiced velar nasal, English "ng"
while \~\ae is the nazalized raised open front unrounded wovel, French "in" (like in "pain").
HTH
Attila

[Edited at 2007-04-03 08:34]

Thank you, Attlia,
So if I've understood you, the BBC is pronouncing Poulenc correctly, to rhyme with "cinq", yes?
Regards,
Jenny.

Daniel Bird
Daniel Bird  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
Personal experience... Apr 3, 2007

A late friend of mine who knew Poulenc personally always pronounced his name as described by Attila/Longman.
DB

Rebecca Hendry
Rebecca Hendry  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Poulenc Apr 3, 2007

Hi Jenny,

I know it doesn't help explain it but I played a Poulenc piece for my grade 8 flute exam many years ago and my teachers and examiners all pronounced it in the way you describe as well.

Cheers!

Becky.

Richard Benham
Richard Benham  Identity Verified
France
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
According to Larousse... Apr 3, 2007

...and this is how I've always heard it, it’s pronounced as if spelt “Poulinque”. They actually use phonetic notation, but my HTML skills don’t extend to doing an epsilon with a tilde over it. Certainly, this is how I have always heard and pronounced the name, although I am not a native speaker of French and don’t remember where I first heard it.

I know there are other examples where -en- is pronounced as if spelt -in-, but I can’t think of any. Except, of
... See more
...and this is how I've always heard it, it’s pronounced as if spelt “Poulinque”. They actually use phonetic notation, but my HTML skills don’t extend to doing an epsilon with a tilde over it. Certainly, this is how I have always heard and pronounced the name, although I am not a native speaker of French and don’t remember where I first heard it.

I know there are other examples where -en- is pronounced as if spelt -in-, but I can’t think of any. Except, of course, among people from the Midi, who are known to say in bin vin blinc....
Collapse

Jim Tucker (X)
Jim Tucker (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Hungarian to English
+ ...
bbc link on this very subject Apr 3, 2007

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/magazinemonitor/2006/11/how_to_say_francis_poulenc.shtml

(or it might be bbc "lanque" - I'm not sure)

[Edited at 2007-04-03 09:26]

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 16:18
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Why care Apr 3, 2007

Has anyone ever heard any French person pronounce any foreign name correctly?
Just kidding. Most English pronounce "van Beethoven" like "wan BeetHOUwen" in German spelling instead of "fan BEEThofen".
Cheers
Heinrich

TvNellen (X)
TvNellen (X)
United States
Local time: 09:18
English to Dutch
+ ...
Examen Apr 3, 2007

Richard Benham wrote:

I know there are other examples where -en- is pronounced as if spelt -in-, but I can’t think of any. Except, of course, among people from the Midi, who are known to say in bin vin blinc....

Hi Richard,

Examen is one...

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Precisely, Heinrich Apr 3, 2007

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Heinrich

Winston Churchill agreed with the French on that one:

"Everybody has a right to pronounce foreign names as he chooses" (in The Observer, 5 August 1951).

Cheers,

Giles

Cilian O'Tuama

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Why care Apr 3, 2007

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Why care - this is a very interesting question. And whether we can speak of "the" correct pronunciation is another one.
I particularly like the Longman Dictionary of Pronunciation because it lists both (English and original) pronunciations for a lot of proper names.
Having a localized version for "Alexander the Great" ("Nagy Sándor" in Hungarian) shows the importance of the person to the culture in question. The same goes for place names: Vienna, Bratislava, Venise, Naples, Paris all have different names in Hungarian - and the situation is very similar in a lot of languages.
As for pronunciation, the same may apply to some extent. More to the point, including a word with distinctly foreign sounds may be unnatural or even considered pretentious. Heinrich's example, Beethoven illustrates this point quite well (Perhaps "Eiffel" would have been my example.) Nevertheless when speaking (in English) with a German, you might be inclined to pronounce Beethoven the German way.
I am sure most of us have some first-hand experience of mispronouncing a proper name and feeling quite embarassed, or correcting the other when not using the original-language pronuncation (e.g., "Puskás", the football legend is pronounced in Hungarian with "sh" and not "s"). I remember a very fervent discussion at proZ.com 3 or 4 years ago about the way "Rubik" should be pronounced. It has shown that this is a very sensitive issue indeed.
Attila

Jennifer Forbes
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Thank you, everyone Apr 3, 2007

Attila Piróth wrote:

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Why care - this is a very interesting question. And whether we can speak of "the" correct pronunciation is another one.
I particularly like the Longman Dictionary of Pronunciation because it lists both (English and original) pronunciations for a lot of proper names.
Having a localized version for "Alexander the Great" ("Nagy Sándor" in Hungarian) shows the importance of the person to the culture in question. The same goes for place names: Vienna, Bratislava, Venise, Naples, Paris all have different names in Hungarian - and the situation is very similar in a lot of languages.
As for pronunciation, the same may apply to some extent. More to the point, including a word with distinctly foreign sounds may be unnatural or even considered pretentious. Heinrich's example, Beethoven illustrates this point quite well (Perhaps "Eiffel" would have been my example.) Nevertheless when speaking (in English) with a German, you might be inclined to pronounce Beethoven the German way.
I am sure most of us have some first-hand experience of mispronouncing a proper name and feeling quite embarassed, or correcting the other when not using the original-language pronuncation (e.g., "Puskás", the football legend is pronounced in Hungarian with "sh" and not "s"). I remember a very fervent discussion at proZ.com 3 or 4 years ago about the way "Rubik" should be pronounced. It has shown that this is a very sensitive issue indeed.
Attila

Thank you, again, Attila, and everyone who answered.
Heinrich, I don't CARE exactly, or think it MATTERS, or want to raise a sensitive issue, I was just interested in the correct pronunciation of that particular name, especially by the BBC which I believe goes to some lengths to pronounce foreign names correctly, and was sure that the combined grey cells of the Prozians would provide the answer.
So it seems that the BBC is right and Poulenc is pronounced as if it rhymed with "cinq", which has resolved my query. And Poulenc must have known how to pronounce his own name! Perhaps he was a mériodinal? Ooops! I hope I haven't inadvertently raised another sensitive issue ...
Yours,
Jenny.

Helene Martin-Hernandez
Helene Martin-Hernandez  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
Absolutely Apr 3, 2007

Hello all,

As the first (only?) French native to reply to this thread, I confirm that Poulenc should rhyme with cinq. Although, I'm from Southern France, so I may have a slight tendendy to exaggerate my pronunciations (I would make it sound like something along the lines of "pouleïnk"), but the correct pronunciation still corresponds to the phonetics given by Attila.

I also confirm that we, the French, always have problems to pronounce foreign names, and we always "tra
... See more
Hello all,

As the first (only?) French native to reply to this thread, I confirm that Poulenc should rhyme with cinq. Although, I'm from Southern France, so I may have a slight tendendy to exaggerate my pronunciations (I would make it sound like something along the lines of "pouleïnk"), but the correct pronunciation still corresponds to the phonetics given by Attila.

I also confirm that we, the French, always have problems to pronounce foreign names, and we always "transform" them to give them a French-like pronunciation, otherwise it would be too difficult, you see...

If you're in England and watch cooking programmes, you probably know what I mean

Have a good day!
Hélène
Collapse

Stéphanie Argentin
Stéphanie Argentin  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
Italian to French
+ ...
It's correct, Poulenc rhyme with "cinq" Apr 3, 2007

I'm an another French native but from the Northern France and I confirm that the name Poulenc has to be pronunciated like this "Poulinq".

Good bye

Stéphanie

Richard Benham
Richard Benham  Identity Verified
France
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Thanks.... Apr 4, 2007

TvNellen wrote:

Richard Benham wrote:

Hi Richard,

Examen is one...

That was the one I was trying to think of! It’s amazing in retrospect that, even reading about Rebecca’s flute exam, I still couldn’t think of it.... Maybe traumatic recollections of my own music exams.

Oh, and I had a private French tutor from Toulouse, and, although she tried very hard to speak “standard” French, she used to let slip the occasional lindi.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pronunciation of "Poulenc"

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »