What is the difference b/w these two e-mail settings?
Thread poster: soaper
soaper
soaper
Türkiye
Local time: 01:28
Turkish to English
Nov 9, 2016

The proz.com e-mail preferences page shows me these two options below:

The difference - if I understand correctly - is that members are those who pay for a membership, and users are those who do not.

This is so off-putting and dispiriting. As a comparison, some of the best content available anywhere on the web is at the stackexchange.com family of sites,
... See more

The difference - if I understand correctly - is that members are those who pay for a membership, and users are those who do not.

This is so off-putting and dispiriting. As a comparison, some of the best content available anywhere on the web is at the stackexchange.com family of sites, and there, it is all free. No membership fees, no grouping of users into camps of paid vs unpaid.

One more reason why I won't pay for a proz.com membership.
Collapse

Paula Durrosier
Paula Durrosier  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 19:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
You can choose to be contacted by either logged in site users or site members Nov 10, 2016

Hi soaper,

Thanks for writing.

The first option will allow logged in ProZ.com users to contact you via your profile.

The second option will allow only logged in ProZ.com members to send you emails via your profile.

Site or ProZ.com 'users' are basic users of the site, and site 'members' are site users who have a current paid membership subscription. To learn more about the site's terminology, yo
... See more
Hi soaper,

Thanks for writing.

The first option will allow logged in ProZ.com users to contact you via your profile.

The second option will allow only logged in ProZ.com members to send you emails via your profile.

Site or ProZ.com 'users' are basic users of the site, and site 'members' are site users who have a current paid membership subscription. To learn more about the site's terminology, you can check the FAQ on the matter here http://www.proz.com/faq/3964#3964

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Paula
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:28
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
It's about spammers and scammers Nov 10, 2016

soaper wrote:

This is so off-putting and dispiriting. As a comparison, some of the best content available anywhere on the web is at the stackexchange.com family of sites, and there, it is all free. No membership fees, no grouping of users into camps of paid vs unpaid.

One more reason why I won't pay for a proz.com membership.

I agree that it's a really confusing wording, but it really doesn't have anything to do with restricting anybody to a lesser service if they don't pay. It's simply so we can filter out totally unknown entities who like to send messages to everyone, for their benefit rather than ours. I believe there are "bots" that can send messages as not-logged-in users, i.e. automatic programs rather than visitors to the site. So, many of us prefer to ensure that the sender is at least a real person who has logged on to the site. I personally don't care whether they've paid or not.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the difference b/w these two e-mail settings?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »