Thread poster: Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 01:16
English to Italian
Sep 26, 2017

Hi everyone.

Has someone here been able to successfully implement CSS/JS code in their "About me" sections?

In the site FAQ, I read:
19.1 - Why might some ProZ.com profiles include user-supplied dynamic content (javascript)?

Some users have chosen to customize their ProZ.com profiles with dynamic content such as instant messaging tools, clocks, hit counters, etc. This dynamic content may be implemented in a scripting language such as javascript, which
... See more
Hi everyone.

Has someone here been able to successfully implement CSS/JS code in their "About me" sections?

In the site FAQ, I read:
19.1 - Why might some ProZ.com profiles include user-supplied dynamic content (javascript)?

Some users have chosen to customize their ProZ.com profiles with dynamic content such as instant messaging tools, clocks, hit counters, etc. This dynamic content may be implemented in a scripting language such as javascript, which can be run by the viewer's web browser.

19.8 - Can I include CSS in my profile?

CSS styles can be defined inline in your profile, inside of HTML "style" tags. External stylesheets are filtered unless the user viewer has allowed dynamic content.
http://www.proz.com/faq/10126#10126

And, on the forum: http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_translator_coop/142348-changes_made_to_the_way_java_is_handled_in_prozcom_profiles.html

In fact, my profile does show a (not so reassuring, truth be told...) "Dynamic content (javascript) enabled in this profile" message with a yellow warning sign, which asks visitors whether to enable JS or not...

So, based on that, both CSS and JS are supposed to be supported in our profiles, however, I have so far been unable to use them in the 'About me' section, while (at least) some support seems to be enabled in customs tabs, for instance (which I used to add a localized version of a tab, since localization of custom tabs is not natively supported...). Am I missing something?

P.S. I also opened a support ticket about this, but I haven't received an answer to my original question.
Collapse

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Why do you want to know? Sep 27, 2017

Hi Mirko,

I'd never use JavaScript on this website because of the ugly warning vistitors get.

Normally the link to CSS resides in the head element of the html file. Our profiles on ProZ only give us access to the body elemen
... See more
Hi Mirko,

I'd never use JavaScript on this website because of the ugly warning vistitors get.

Normally the link to CSS resides in the head element of the html file. Our profiles on ProZ only give us access to the body element.

At
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/11833325/css-hack-adding-css-in-the-body-of-a-website
people discuss ways to use CSS anyhow, including placing a head element within the body element.

But CSS is only an efficient way to apply styles on multiple pages. You could apply your styles in a less efficient way, since it's only one profile page.

Cheers,
Gerard
Collapse

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Why not? Sep 29, 2017

Hi Gerard. Thanks for your reply

Why do I want to know? Why not?

Specifically, I wanted to use a few lines of code (I tried both JS and CSS) to show a popup when clicking or hovering over a picture, instead of using plain HTML to open a new browser window. But it could be anything else, really...

Also, since both forum posts and FAQs (as previously quoted) say this should be possible, I'd like to know how to do that...

Gerard de Noord wrote:

Yeah, I know. In fact that's a con...

Normally the link to CSS resides in the head element of the html file. Our profiles on ProZ only give us access to the body element.

At
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/11833325/css-hack-adding-css-in-the-body-of-a-website
people discuss ways to use CSS anyhow, including placing a head element within the body element.

But CSS is only an efficient way to apply styles on multiple pages. You could apply your styles in a less efficient way, since it's only one profile page.

Well, I'm not a coder, so going out of my way to circumvent limitations in "creative" ways (as suggested in the link you provided) is not really an option for me. I just thought it would've been possible to use some CSS and JavaScript, as advertised. If I'm told I can use JS and CSS, but then it doesn't work, I'd expect to be told how to make it work, or why it doesn't work (while the "instructions" say otherwise), also considering that, as I previously wrote, there seems to be a difference between the behavior of code entered in "About me" and in custom tabs. At any rate, I didn't find a guide anywhere on the site about his, and my question to support (which also included the simple code I wanted to use) went unanswered...
I find the whole thing "a bit less than satisfactory", to use a slight euphemism.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CSS & JS in profiles

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »