Elena Aclasto
Elena Aclasto  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 14:23
English to Italian
+ ...
Jun 8, 2016

Hi everyone,

I hope to post correctly since I always read you but don't write a lot.
I have received this invitation from a translation agency, but my gut feeling is that there is something not clear in it...I cannot find them here on the BB, they don't show any VAT registration number on their website (which is, by the way, very vague) and the request itself does not convince me...the agreement they attached is a mere copy of the email. Maybe I am too suspicious, but I prefer
... See more
Hi everyone,

I have received this invitation from a translation agency, but my gut feeling is that there is something not clear in it...I cannot find them here on the BB, they don't show any VAT registration number on their website (which is, by the way, very vague) and the request itself does not convince me...the agreement they attached is a mere copy of the email. Maybe I am too suspicious, but I preferred to politely decline the offer for the time being.
What do you think?
Thanks for your replies

Elena

"Dear translator,

I am manal Abdulrahman from magic-trans.net Center for Translation; I work as a mediator Between clients & translators.

I assure that you would be very lucky if you agree to cooperate with us as a translator and I will be as a mediator. So It's a pleasure to invite you to be a close member of our team.

Therefore, Can you give us permission, authorization, and agreement in order to send your CV to our clients?
If yes, we will remove your contact details to avoid any direct contacts with our clients. If you agree, you will be considered as a close team member and consequently, you will be eligible for any updated plan.
This is part of group work based on mutual cooperation because the translation market is full of competition.
Please let me have your opinion for long-term cooperation between us. If you agree, sign this authorization and agreement document Attachment, and send it signed with your CV and
a cover letter.
Thank you for your time.
looking forward to having a long-term cooperation between us.
I very much appreciate an early reply.
Best wishes,

Project manager: manal Abdulrahman
Email: [email protected]

http://www.magic-trans.net/
Collapse

Alistair Gainey
Alistair Gainey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:23
Russian to English
It looks like you're right to be suspicious Jun 8, 2016

You will find them mentioned here:

http://www.translator-scammers.com/translator-scammers-notes.htm

Katarzyna Slowikova

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Similar domain name. Jun 8, 2016

By consulting Google, I got these results:

http://magic-trans.ru/

vs.

Spot the difference?

Hope it was OK to post these links, just wanted to demonstrate how they played with the domain name (at least I think they did).

Tom in London
Nara Hwang (X)

Alistair Gainey
Alistair Gainey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
Coincidence? Jun 8, 2016

Lingua 5B wrote:

vs.

Spot the difference?

Hope it was OK to post these links, just wanted to demonstrate how they played with the domain name (at least I think they did).

I'm not sure. The top one is a transport, not translation, company, so I'd guess that's just a coincidence.

Elena Aclasto
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Is there any way not to have your "identity" stealed? Jun 8, 2016

Thank you all, I have read the file, in the end I was right ...but my doubt is, can they "steal" my CV here on ProZ? Or whenever I put it? Now I'm worried... :-/

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
It's about the name. Jun 8, 2016

Alistair Gainey wrote:

Lingua 5B wrote:

vs.

Spot the difference?

I'm not sure. The top one is a transport, not translation, company, so I'd guess that's just a coincidence.

That's what scammers do, take a name of a legitimate business, alter it a little, and create a website (don't have to be the same kind of business at all, it's about stealing the name). So that when you go and check them on Google, the legitimate business appears but the name difference is so slight you may get confused easily. This is a very common scam. I am just talking generally, can't confirm 100% it's the case here, but I can't see the first agency on BB either.

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
In theory, yes. Jun 8, 2016

Elena Aclasto wrote:

Thank you all, I have read the file, in the end I was right ...but my doubt is, can they "steal" my CV here on ProZ? Or whenever I put it? Now I'm worried... :-/

Yes, they can definitely steal it. And once they do, if they do the damage, eg. apply for a project with your files without you being aware of it at all, do the "translation", the translation is bad, your name is behind it... it will be very difficult to prove anything in case you want the police involved. In conclusion, don't leave your CV open to them if you don't need to. It's comforting to know that serious clients are aware of all this and will check everyone's background twice.

[Edited at 2016-06-08 09:45 GMT]

Elena Aclasto
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
access restricted for CV Jun 8, 2016

Lingua 5B wrote:

Yes, they can definitely steal it. And once they do, if they do the damage, eg. apply for a project with your files without you being aware of it at all, do the "translation", the translation is bad, your name is behind it... it will be very difficult to prove anything in case you want the police involved. In conclusion, don't leave your CV open to them if you don't need to. It's comforting to know that serious clients are aware of all this and will check everyone's background twice.

[Edited at 2016-06-08 09:45 GMT]

Oh my..well, good to know, now I have restricted the access to my cv here on ProZ even if I suspect they'll always find a way to do their tricks elsewhere..

Thank you all again for your enlightening comments!

Serena Basili
Serena Basili  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Italian
+ ...
Google Street View Jun 8, 2016

I had a look on google at their alleged address, and it's really in the middle of nowhere, only building present is a very old, small and crumbling house.
Not the best place for a legitimate business, I guess!

Paweł Hamerski
Paweł Hamerski
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
see Languagemet Jun 8, 2016

for the same wording - and please ask for joining the threads to avoid duplication

[Edited at 2016-06-08 12:05 GMT]

Paula Durrosier
Paula Durrosier  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 10:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
Please submit a support request Jun 8, 2016

Hello,

Thanks for raising an alert about the email you received. Could you please submit a support request here http://www.proz.com/support including the full email you received together with its full headers? This will help us look into this issue further. Thank you!

Best regards,

Paula

Corbett AM
Corbett AM  Identity Verified
Ireland
French to English
+ ...
bad English as well Jun 9, 2016

The person's English is not very good either but yeah they sound very dodgy anyway.

Btw, not all agencies are on Proz's blueboard, legitimate or not.

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
True. Jun 9, 2016

CorbettAM wrote:

The person's English is not very good either but yeah they sound very dodgy anyway.

Btw, not all agencies are on Proz's blueboard, legitimate or not.

I also had legitimate projects from legitimate agencies whose PMs spoke very bad English.

Danijela Plavsic
Danijela Plavsic
English to Bosnian
+ ...
I got the same email! Jun 16, 2016

Elena Aclasto wrote:

Hi everyone,

I have received this invitation from a translation agency, but my gut feeling is that there is something not clear in it...I cannot find them here on the BB, they don't show any VAT registration number on their website (which is, by the way, very vague) and the request itself does not convince me...the agreement they attached is a mere copy of the email. Maybe I am too suspicious, but I preferred to politely decline the offer for the time being.
What do you think?
Thanks for your replies

Elena

"Dear translator,

I am manal Abdulrahman from magic-trans.net Center for Translation; I work as a mediator Between clients & translators.

I assure that you would be very lucky if you agree to cooperate with us as a translator and I will be as a mediator. So It's a pleasure to invite you to be a close member of our team.

Therefore, Can you give us permission, authorization, and agreement in order to send your CV to our clients?
If yes, we will remove your contact details to avoid any direct contacts with our clients. If you agree, you will be considered as a close team member and consequently, you will be eligible for any updated plan.
This is part of group work based on mutual cooperation because the translation market is full of competition.
Please let me have your opinion for long-term cooperation between us. If you agree, sign this authorization and agreement document Attachment, and send it signed with your CV and
a cover letter.
Thank you for your time.
looking forward to having a long-term cooperation between us.
I very much appreciate an early reply.
Best wishes,

Project manager: manal Abdulrahman
Email: [email protected]

I got the same email, and just like you, I thought it looks fishy. Their English is broken at best, and their 'contract' is a joke. Something a 10 year old would come up with. Luckily, I decided to Google the senders email, and found this thread. Thanks!

AIKATERINI KATERINA RONTOGIANNI

Aritonović
Aritonović
English to Serbian
+ ...
I received two emails from them Jul 14, 2016

Hello everybody,

I also received almost the identical email from this magic-trans translation agency at the beginning of last month. I didn't even bother to reply because the whole approach didn't sound convincing and I was sure it was a scammer.

But the fact that I had not replied to the first email and sign that suspicious document attached did not prevent them from sending another email today, offering me to do some test translation for a pretty large project.
... See more
Hello everybody,

I also received almost the identical email from this magic-trans translation agency at the beginning of last month. I didn't even bother to reply because the whole approach didn't sound convincing and I was sure it was a scammer.

But the fact that I had not replied to the first email and sign that suspicious document attached did not prevent them from sending another email today, offering me to do some test translation for a pretty large project.

I received both mails from Amal2 Amal2, i.e. Amal Dawood (who claimed to be a Project Manager) from a rather strange email, [email protected].

I will also submit a support request as suggested by Ms Paula Durrosier. Hopefully that would, along with our comments here, help other people realise what kind of business this is.

Regards,
Ksenija
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Did you receive this invitation?..it sounds strange to me

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »