Andrea Kaspryk
Andrea Kaspryk  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:12
Member (2018)
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Mar 5, 2021

This company "hired" me in December 2020, and I did some translation work for them, but they never made a wireless payment to me, so I stopped working for them.

The company claimed to have paid me, and showed me invoices and payments sent to me, but I received no payments in my account. This went on for weeks or over a month. I had a representative from my bank contact them, and my bank representative assured me that the paperwork and account numbers and SWIFT number was correct,
... See more
This company "hired" me in December 2020, and I did some translation work for them, but they never made a wireless payment to me, so I stopped working for them.

The company claimed to have paid me, and showed me invoices and payments sent to me, but I received no payments in my account. This went on for weeks or over a month. I had a representative from my bank contact them, and my bank representative assured me that the paperwork and account numbers and SWIFT number was correct, so the problem is at the company end.

There is a legit company IQVIA, but the office or purported company that claims to be this company is not genuine.
Collapse

Adieu

3089491 (X)
3089491 (X)  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 12:12
Sender Email Mar 6, 2021

Hi,

You are saying "wireless payment". Sure there were not any signals you unconsciously ignored?

When a big company writes from an email address that is not on their domain, one should start paying attention to every detail of the interaction.

When we get cheated upon - and this can happen to any of us - , usually there is also some dishonesty on our side as well. And we think no one knows. 😀

Unfortunately, "right" email address is no guara
... See more
Hi,

You are saying "wireless payment". Sure there were not any signals you unconsciously ignored?

When a big company writes from an email address that is not on their domain, one should start paying attention to every detail of the interaction.

When we get cheated upon - and this can happen to any of us - , usually there is also some dishonesty on our side as well. And we think no one knows. 😀

Unfortunately, "right" email address is no guarantee. Email spoofing is very easy to do. I could write you a message from Henry Dotterer's address himself, if you wish. But, I would break the law. Better not.

Regards,

Mihai
Collapse

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Hmmm Mar 6, 2021

But wasn't the subject matter of their translations ACTUAL verifiable Iqvia projects?

How would they be someone else, then?

PS i am NOT defending them, these people ALSO OWE ME MONEY. I just don't see how it could be someone else, they're way too complex for a fake company outfit that briefly subcontracts one specific client's (presumable "real Iqvia's") work out to freelancers for a few months and then runs out on the bill --- they got a memoQ server license, they do 2
... See more
But wasn't the subject matter of their translations ACTUAL verifiable Iqvia projects?

How would they be someone else, then?

PS i am NOT defending them, these people ALSO OWE ME MONEY. I just don't see how it could be someone else, they're way too complex for a fake company outfit that briefly subcontracts one specific client's (presumable "real Iqvia's") work out to freelancers for a few months and then runs out on the bill --- they got a memoQ server license, they do 2-step revisions, they bother with massive amounts of junk mail like style guide pdfs, some boss lady there is sending out invites to seminars, they have a social media presence... they haggle over prices and try to save on rush rates etc. And all their content is actual Iqvia projects.

Seems too complex. I've hired freelancers before with nothing more than an unverified proz account and a Russian domain free email account, so such deepfake roleplaying seems way over the top (...although then again I actually PAID my freelancers, so that probably helped).

For now, I'm leaning towards negligent incompetence... maybe employees stealing?

[Edited at 2021-03-06 10:22 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-03-06 10:26 GMT]
Collapse

3089491 (X)
Luxembourg
Turning the wave Mar 6, 2021

@Adieu

Interesting. Perhaps what we might want to try is to turn the wave. Offer some concessions. Perhaps it is not too late even in this frustrating situation (a small reduction, extension of deadline etc.).

It might be more efficient to offer concessions in the initial stage of negotiations, before any work begins. With agencies, for instance, one could offer to take some business risk (e.g. if the final client doesn't pay, I will reduce my invoice by 25%).
... See more
@Adieu

Interesting. Perhaps what we might want to try is to turn the wave. Offer some concessions. Perhaps it is not too late even in this frustrating situation (a small reduction, extension of deadline etc.).

It might be more efficient to offer concessions in the initial stage of negotiations, before any work begins. With agencies, for instance, one could offer to take some business risk (e.g. if the final client doesn't pay, I will reduce my invoice by 25%).

FAQ
What do I do if dishonest clients try to take advantage?

First, you might want to grant a generous extension.

If the final client still doesn't pay, you might want to request some reasonable proof of that.

Fellow translators,

It is a harsh world we are living in. Prepare for landing.
Collapse

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Say what? Mar 6, 2021

Mihai Badea wrote:

@Adieu

FAQ
What do I do if dishonest clients try to take advantage?

First, you might want to grant a generous extension.

If the final client still doesn't pay, you might want to request some reasonable proof of that.

Fellow translators,

It is a harsh world we are living in. Prepare for landing.

What are you even talking about?

No discounts.

Small claims court for deadbeat clients
Class action lawsuit for deadbear clients who fail to pay multiple translators
Police for scammers who impersonate people

Discounts what discounts???

[Edited at 2021-03-06 20:47 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-03-06 20:47 GMT]

Yolanda Broad
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Katarzyna Slowikova

3089491 (X)
Luxembourg
No discounts Mar 6, 2021

@Adieu

Discounts as a strategy, that's different. If displayed rate is 0.20 per word, you can afford to grant a generous discount.

It might work...

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
? Mar 6, 2021

Mihai Badea wrote:

@Adieu

Discounts as a strategy, that's different. If displayed rate is 0.20 per word, you can afford to grant a generous discount.

It might work...

What does that have to do with a company that presents itself as a subsidiary of billion-dollar multinational IQVIA owing at least two of us money for work completed???

[Edited at 2021-03-06 22:47 GMT]

Katarzyna Slowikova

3089491 (X)
Luxembourg
My appologies Mar 6, 2021

@Adieu: But good luck with getting your money back.

Andrea Kaspryk
Andrea Kaspryk  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:12
Member (2018)
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
IQVIA - Career Page - Fraud Alert - Page on company website Mar 6, 2021

Below I have cut and pasted from the IQVIA website, at the bottom of the Career Page there is a link to a Fraud Alert. I have provided the link also:

https://www.iqvia.com/about-us/corporate-responsibility/protect-yourself-from-fraudulent-job-offers

---

Protect Yourself from Fraudulent Job Offers... See more
Below I have cut and pasted from the IQVIA website, at the bottom of the Career Page there is a link to a Fraud Alert. I have provided the link also:

https://www.iqvia.com/about-us/corporate-responsibility/protect-yourself-from-fraudulent-job-offers

---

Protect Yourself from Fraudulent Job Offers

IQVIA has become aware of job scams in which fraudsters impersonate company representatives and make fraudulent job offers, most recently around the role titled ‘Covid-19 Test Administrator IQVIA’. Please know that IQVIA never requests personal banking information or payment of any kind as a condition of employment. If you provided bank details to anyone in relation to a role at IQVIA, please immediately contact your bank.

IQVIA has zero tolerance for fraud and deception in the employment marketplace. If you have been contacted by anyone representing themselves as being from IQVIA and are concerned about their legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected]. To avoid becoming a victim, be vigilant. You can find more information on job scams, as well as how to report a scam, on the Citizens Advice website.
Collapse

3089491 (X)
Luxembourg
Well, well Mar 6, 2021

They do seem to be a legit company. Reviews on Glassdoor are rather good. Some of them, very good. There are employees who consider them to be an outstanding company.

And they seem to be good people as well. The dedicated ethics email address demonstrates empathy.

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Describes a different scam, though Mar 6, 2021

Andrea Kaspryk wrote:

---

Protect Yourself from Fraudulent Job Offers

IQVIA has become aware of job scams in which fraudsters impersonate company representatives and make fraudulent job offers, most recently around the role titled ‘Covid-19 Test Administrator IQVIA’. Please know that IQVIA never requests personal banking information or payment of any kind as a condition of employment. If you provided bank details to anyone in relation to a role at IQVIA, please immediately contact your bank.

IQVIA has zero tolerance for fraud and deception in the employment marketplace. If you have been contacted by anyone representing themselves as being from IQVIA and are concerned about their legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected]. To avoid becoming a victim, be vigilant. You can find more information on job scams, as well as how to report a scam, on the Citizens Advice website.

Different scam. Some kind of phishing or pay-to-play signup, not translation related.

Have you tried writing that "business ethics" email about our issue of getting paid for translations?

Also, just to be clear: was your stuff translation of jobs clearly related to actual Iqvia projects with multiple mentions of Iqvia subsidiaries, Iqvia personnel, etc. littered throughout the texts? Because mine sure was.

To avoid getting into NDA problems, a very vague and general description: bureaucratic correspondence between Russian regulators and an authentic local subsidiary concerning various existing clinical trials.

[Edited at 2021-03-06 23:59 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-03-07 00:00 GMT]

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
A direct job offer from IQVIA is already a red flag Mar 7, 2021

IQVIA is a big multinational company conducting clinical research. They need huge volumes and many language pairs, so it's very unlikely they will work with individual freelancers. I've done a lot of work for them and it's always been through agencies.

Baran Keki
Marzena Malakhova

3089491 (X)
Luxembourg
This thread might get deleted Mar 7, 2021

As a matter of fact, we are discussing an outsourcer who is registered in Blue Board. They even posted a job, some months ago. There might have been some dissatisfaction with the Proz.com jobs system, and the wrong people got penalized (please note the deleted profile page associated with the Blue Board entry).

Indeed, usually companies, especially big ones, prefer working with other companies. Translation agencies are the likely winner for translation jobs. But cutting the middle m
... See more
As a matter of fact, we are discussing an outsourcer who is registered in Blue Board. They even posted a job, some months ago. There might have been some dissatisfaction with the Proz.com jobs system, and the wrong people got penalized (please note the deleted profile page associated with the Blue Board entry).

Indeed, usually companies, especially big ones, prefer working with other companies. Translation agencies are the likely winner for translation jobs. But cutting the middle man is rather in fashion lately, and the result can sometimes be unexpected.

Good faith, patience and persistence might be the key to this situation.

Honestly, good luck to everyone!
Collapse

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
... Mar 7, 2021

Mihai Badea wrote:

Indeed, usually companies, especially big ones, prefer working with other companies. Translation agencies are the likely winner for translation jobs. But cutting the middle man is rather in fashion lately, and the result can sometimes be unexpected.

Good faith, patience and persistence might be the key to this situation.

Honestly, good luck to everyone!

...are you in some way an interested party?

Feels like you're trying multiple alternative ways to sink this thread.

This entity owes us money and hasn't paid.

I fully 100% believe that Andrea is operating in good faith and sharing an honest opinion, because this post is describing a very very familiar situation with the same exact client. Even the dates roughly match up. And I had similar suspicions as well.

My only difference of opinion is that it is likely incompetence or bad business ethics, not full on false flag scamminess. Too elaborate, would need to create an army of fake profiles for the ~20 people on their emails (because I checked, they DO have social media claiming to be from that organization), subcontract huge orders from that company (because the jobs are undoubtedly actually Iqvia-related), AND hack the main website of the parent company, because that's how they recruit. At least in my case.

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
That said... Mar 7, 2021

ANY suspicious client you need to run around doing detective legwork about after missing payments is already deserving of a cautionary thread.

[Edited at 2021-03-07 20:23 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Impersonator of IQVIA - someone claiming to represent this company

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »