Pages jaunes scam
Thread poster: Cécile Gaultier
Cécile Gaultier
Cécile Gaultier  Identity Verified
Member (2012)
English to French
+ ...
Apr 11, 2021

Good morning to the Proz community. I guess scammers are getting better and better...

Email received a few days ago:

Bonjour Mme,
je me permets de vous contacter pour besoin d'un traducteur disponible pour répondre à une mission de traduction de document en anglais vers le français(traduction non assermentée).

Merci de me contacter pour plus de détails concernant cette mission.

Cordia
... See more
Good morning to the Proz community. I guess scammers are getting better and better...

Email received a few days ago:

Bonjour Mme,
je me permets de vous contacter pour besoin d'un traducteur disponible pour répondre à une mission de traduction de document en anglais vers le français(traduction non assermentée).

Merci de me contacter pour plus de détails concernant cette mission.

Cordialement,
Email : [email protected]

Have a nice Sunday everyone.

Cécile
Collapse

Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:49
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Cécile Apr 11, 2021

Hi

The 'gentleman' certainly didn't give much away in his message, but we are missing the next chapter, in which he may have explained his 'mission' in detail. (Ugh!)
What happened, and where do the Yellow Pages come in?
Look forward to knowing more about this scam. Hope you didn't fall for it.
Thanks.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
writeaway

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:49
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Cécile Apr 11, 2021

Son courriel figure sur le Translator Scammers Directory. J'espère que vous l'avez regardé avant de tomber dans le piège...

[Edited at 2021-04-11 13:19 GMT]

Barbara Carrara

Cécile Gaultier
Cécile Gaultier  Identity Verified
Member (2012)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Merci Barbara and Teresa Apr 14, 2021

Thank you for your replies and sorry for getting back to you so late. I received the email through the YP website.
And then... to answer your question: I answered the first email (I had not looked up into the scammers directory), but for some reason, something did not sound right. Just a gut feeling... And I got this message:

bonjour

Pour nous établir un devis merci de se référer aux informations suivantes:

RAISON SOCIALE: B.S.N.G CONSEIL ET GESTIO
... See more
Thank you for your replies and sorry for getting back to you so late. I received the email through the YP website.
And then... to answer your question: I answered the first email (I had not looked up into the scammers directory), but for some reason, something did not sound right. Just a gut feeling... And I got this message:

bonjour

Pour nous établir un devis merci de se référer aux informations suivantes:

RAISON SOCIALE: B.S.N.G CONSEIL ET GESTION.
ADRESSE:5 RUE PAULE DE VIGUIER 31600 SAUBENS
SIRET: 81941093700018
CHARGE DE LA GESTION DES AFFAIRES: LUDOVIC BAUTE

veuillez aussi me faire parvenir votre RIB pour le virement de l'acompte.

Bien cordialement

Well, I guess at that very moment... I saw the light
Have a lovely evening,
Cécile
Collapse

Barbara Carrara

Marion de Luzan
Marion de Luzan
France
Local time: 16:49
English to French
+ ...
Thank you May 20, 2021

Good afternoon,

Thank you very much for the information!

I received the exact same first email. I answered it and sent a quote with advance payment, then a "facture d'acompte" (down-payment invoice), and on the next day I received the following email:

Bonjour.

Je vous informe que le comptable a déjà procédé au virement depuis par contre il vient de m'informer qu'il y a eu une erreur concernant le montant envoyé, au lieu de vous tra
... See more
Good afternoon,

Thank you very much for the information!

I received the exact same first email. I answered it and sent a quote with advance payment, then a "facture d'acompte" (down-payment invoice), and on the next day I received the following email:

Bonjour.

Je vous informe que le comptable a déjà procédé au virement depuis par contre il vient de m'informer qu'il y a eu une erreur concernant le montant envoyé, au lieu de vous transférer xxx, xxeuro couvrant votre acompte , il vous a confondu avec le conférencier et vous a transféré xxxx,xx€ Couvrant la facture Totale du conférencier, il a donc dû contacter la banque tout à l'heure pour rectifier l'erreur mais la somme a déjà été comptabilisée par la banque.
Je suis tout confus!
La seule solution serait qu'une fois le virement des xxxx€ reçus, vous enlèverez vos xxx,xxeuro constituant votre acompte puis nous retournerons la différence afin que nous puissions payer le conférencier à bonne échéance.
Veuillez me tenir informé une
le virement des xxxx€ reçus afin que je puisse vous faire parvenir mon RIB pour que vous puissiez nous retourner la différence dans les plus brefs délais.
Pouvons-nous vous envoyer notre RIB en même temps pour que vous nous ajoutiez comme bénéficiaire en attendant de recevoir le virement des xxxxeuro pour pouvoir nous renvoyer la différence du trop-perçu ?

En Attendant votre retour, je vous souhaite une bonne journée

I haven't replied and I think I am going to leave it there
The bright side is, it was the first time I was asking for an advance payment, so I learned how to prepare a quote for advance payment and a down-payment invoice.
I am so glad I stopped here before getting into any more problems.

Again thank you very much for the information!

Marion

[Edited at 2021-05-20 13:02 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pages jaunes scam

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »