Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:36
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Aug 12, 2020

Hello everyone

SDL Trados Studio 2021 was released over the weekend. What are your thoughts so far?

My first job with Trados 2021 was to edit a file with 10 segments in it. Trados was surprisingly slow to load the file. The target text loaded first, and then two seconds later the source text loaded. Resizing the window is also slower -- previously the window changed size as quickly as I dragged the window corners with my mouse, but now the window borders play catch-
... See more
Hello everyone

SDL Trados Studio 2021 was released over the weekend. What are your thoughts so far?

My first job with Trados 2021 was to edit a file with 10 segments in it. Trados was surprisingly slow to load the file. The target text loaded first, and then two seconds later the source text loaded. Resizing the window is also slower -- previously the window changed size as quickly as I dragged the window corners with my mouse, but now the window borders play catch-up with the mouse. And typing is also slower -- there is a fraction of a second delay for a letter to appear after I type it or for the cursor to move after I press the arrow key, and if I type several letters in quick succession the display of text gets "behind". And I have a reasonably fast computer.

Samuel

[Edited at 2020-08-12 06:42 GMT]
Collapse

Elena Feriani
Epameinondas Soufleros

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:36
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Useful, but concerning Aug 12, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:
And typing is also slower -- there is a fraction of a second delay for a letter to appear after I type it or for the cursor to move after I press the arrow key, and if I type several letters in quick succession the display of text gets "behind". And I have a reasonably fast computer.

Thank you for this Samuel. Slightly worrying to hear those issues with 2021, given that the previous version (2019) is not exactly snappy.

Dan

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 12:36
French to English
+ ...
Disappointing Aug 12, 2020

I haven't noticed any great (or not so great) improvements at all.
Here are my first impressions:

1. Menus seem to be identical. There seem to be a few more QA settings for agencies, which are of no interest to me.
2. There is no longer a five language limitation, unless I had a faulty installation, which is always possible. You can use any combination of languages you wish. Five languages were too many for me anyway. Now you have to wade through all the versions of all
... See more
I haven't noticed any great (or not so great) improvements at all.
Here are my first impressions:

1. Menus seem to be identical. There seem to be a few more QA settings for agencies, which are of no interest to me.
2. There is no longer a five language limitation, unless I had a faulty installation, which is always possible. You can use any combination of languages you wish. Five languages were too many for me anyway. Now you have to wade through all the versions of all the languages to select what you want.
3. The license server crashed and, in the fires of doom, all previously purchased product licenses down to version 2014 were erased. Support claims that the license for v. 2017 (the only one relevant as a backup) was bundled with 2019, and now 2019 is bundled with 2021, so...

Practically, this means it's a good idea to print ALL the license numbers from the site in Excel format BEFORE returning the license of v. 2019, for your records.

All other changes are minor:
- A direct menu to upload version-relevant apps from from the app store;
- The much-touted Live feature is very heavy to use and prepare and, at this stage, seems hardly worth the effort.

On the whole, Trados takes a VERY long time to load, including "Trados is not responding" Windows messages.

I feel a total idiot for upgrading.

Sandra
Collapse

Epameinondas Soufleros
Stepan Konev
Elena Feriani
Renata von Koerber
Rob Edwards

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 13:36
English to Russian
My first impression is that Trados works faster now Aug 12, 2020

1. With the 2019 version, I had to wait for a few seconds to select several hundreds of segments. 2021 selects the same number of segments without any delay. Files and TMs open faster. Unlike Samuel and Sandra, I feel Trados launches and works much faster. I launched 2021 and 2019 simultaneously. 2021 was ready after 54 seconds, 2019 was ready for work after 83 seconds. I don't experience any delay when typing. And I find it good that menus seem to be identical. Different interfaces for every ne... See more
1. With the 2019 version, I had to wait for a few seconds to select several hundreds of segments. 2021 selects the same number of segments without any delay. Files and TMs open faster. Unlike Samuel and Sandra, I feel Trados launches and works much faster. I launched 2021 and 2019 simultaneously. 2021 was ready after 54 seconds, 2019 was ready for work after 83 seconds. I don't experience any delay when typing. And I find it good that menus seem to be identical. Different interfaces for every next version is not an improvement at all.
2. Now you can save filtering output as sdlxliff exactly the way memoQ did a decade ago. But still not as docx/rtf — SDL needs 10 more years for that.
3. Now Trados can instantly add terms exactly the way memoQ did a decade ago again. No more popping Termviewer. Hurrah!
4. .... Err... That's it.
However some features were removed (e.g., Upgrade Translation Memories).
Old bugs are still there. Over 3 days working with Trados 2021, it has crashed two times with this message:

Bottom line: 2021 seems to be not worse than 2019. No small feat for SDL.

[Edited at 2020-08-12 21:24 GMT]
Collapse

Elena Feriani

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
English to German
+ ...
I cannot confirm slowliness Aug 12, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:

Hello everyone

My first job with Trados 2021 was to edit a file with 10 segments in it. Trados was surprisingly slow to load the file. The target text loaded first, and then two seconds later the source text loaded. Resizing the window is also slower -- previously the window changed size as quickly as I dragged the window corners with my mouse, but now the window borders play catch-up with the mouse. And typing is also slower -- there is a fraction of a second delay for a letter to appear after I type it or for the cursor to move after I press the arrow key, and if I type several letters in quick succession the display of text gets "behind". And I have a reasonably fast computer.

Samuel

Hi Samuel
I cannot confirm the problems you mention, I'd say like Stepan, v2021 is faster, resizing windows is OK, no delay in typing or in opening projects, the Termviewer is wobbling as ever, cannot see any improvement there. Studio crashed once yesterday. I did not find any new features useful for me, so far.

Renata von Koerber

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Termviewer Aug 12, 2020

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:
the Termviewer is wobbling as ever

I mean when you use the Quicke Add Term command, Termviewer does not open automatically now the way it did in all previous versions. A pair of terms just instantly appears in the Term Recognition window.
The Termviewer window will only open when you hover your mouse over it.

[Edited at 2020-08-13 13:36 GMT]

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
English to German
+ ...
Termviewer Aug 12, 2020

Stepan Konev wrote:

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:
the Termviewer is wobbling as ever

I mean when you use the Quicke Add Term command, the Termviewer does not open automatically now as did in all previous versions. A pair of terms just instantly appears in the Term Recognition window.
The Termviewer window will only open when you hover your mouse over it.

[Edited at 2020-08-12 15:45 GMT]

You're right, Stepan. I was used to detach the Termviewer window from the left frame and put it on another display where it's still wobbling when opened. If it stays in place terms are show in the Term Recognition only, and fast(er).

Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
Cloud version the future Aug 13, 2020

I wonder if this means this is the one of the last versions of the desktop app and the focus will shift to further development of the cloud app, and if that is a good thing? It seems fairly useless (for me) in its current state (I can't open a package in the cloud app and I can't import my main TM because it is too big) but I assume these things will be improved.

As for performance of the desktop app, I find it to be quicker on the whole than 2019. It does take just as long to launc
... See more
I wonder if this means this is the one of the last versions of the desktop app and the focus will shift to further development of the cloud app, and if that is a good thing? It seems fairly useless (for me) in its current state (I can't open a package in the cloud app and I can't import my main TM because it is too big) but I assume these things will be improved.

As for performance of the desktop app, I find it to be quicker on the whole than 2019. It does take just as long to launch and to open a project, but once I'm in a project and working it's all nice and smooth. Am particularly happy that adding terms is no longer as laggy (though still not quite as fast as MemoQ) and that the preview in Word and the interaction with it refreshes much faster. But agree with everyone else that not much else has changed.

Olly
Collapse

Renata von Koerber
Rob Edwards

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Hopefully the cloud version will only be an addon to Studio Aug 13, 2020

Oliver Pekelharing wrote:
Olly

If SDL abandons the desktop version totally and only goes for the cloud version I probably will leave Studio. I hope, though, that they rather choose the way memsource have chosen: Having both a desktop and a cloud based version. The experience from memsource is that the cloud based CAT tools all are inferior to the desktop based ones. That seems to be the case for memsource, for XTM, for Coach, for WebCATT, for … (Please feel free to continue the list – so far I have not found even one cloud CAT tool which works as well as our trusted oldtimers of desktop CAT tools.)

Besides being slower it seems the developers have to do some compromises for the cloud based CAT tools to work properly. That means for instance QA functions suffer, searches in TM and termbases suffer etc. etc.

The result is that I for quite some time have declined work in any cloud based CAT tool if it is not possible to download an xliff file so that I can work in it offline. (With one or two exceptions for a couple of agencies I've worked for for a long time.)

Darius Sciuka
Stepan Konev
Aline Amorim
Dan Lucas
Renata von Koerber
Isabelle Pelchat

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 12:36
French to English
+ ...
Crashing... then crashing... then crashing some more... Aug 16, 2020

At some point, and for no apparent reason, the 2021 version started crashing repeatedly and annoyingly - such as when opening a file, when trying to confirm a TU and other such mundane, innocuous tasks.

In the end, I got a message that threw some light on the source of the problem: a warning that my connection was broken (!?) and that the Live app could not sync the file I was working on in real time!

Although I played around with the Live thing, I never uploaded any
... See more
At some point, and for no apparent reason, the 2021 version started crashing repeatedly and annoyingly - such as when opening a file, when trying to confirm a TU and other such mundane, innocuous tasks.

In the end, I got a message that threw some light on the source of the problem: a warning that my connection was broken (!?) and that the Live app could not sync the file I was working on in real time!

Although I played around with the Live thing, I never uploaded any projects or files other than one TM for backup purposes and had not instructed the app to sync anything.
I have no idea what connection they were talking about, since my internet was on, or how to repair the broken connection, assuming I wanted to.

It became clear to me that this "feature" was going to become a major headache and so I did a clean uninstall/reinstall. I also reverted to v. 2019 for work for the foreseeable future.

Sandra
Collapse

Stepan Konev

Regi2006
Regi2006  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 17:36
Member (2007)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Exactly same issue here Sep 4, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:
And typing is also slower -- there is a fraction of a second delay for a letter to appear after I type it or for the cursor to move after I press the arrow key, and if I type several letters in quick succession the display of text gets "behind". And I have a reasonably fast computer.

Samuel

This is exactly the same issues that I've encountered, and I also have a fast computer. Any solutions to this issue, SDL support staff?

Thanks

Peter Motte
Peter Motte  Identity Verified
Belgium
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Please, no cloud app Sep 4, 2020

Oliver Pekelharing wrote:

If they would turn to a cloud app, I would be obliged to stop using Trados, because some of my clients don't want me to use things like that.

I also suspect a cloud app would be to make it easier for Trados to demand us to pay each year.
It's kind of ransomware.

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Local time: 06:36
Member (2011)
English to German
Hi Samuel! Sep 4, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:

What are your thoughts so far?

After having had so many problems with the former version, I enjoyed working with SDL Trados Studio 2021 today – no problems, no crashes. Do you know if it is still possible to use the Google Translation API?

Tomi Dobaj
Tomi Dobaj  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Member (2007)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
x64? Sep 12, 2020

Hi!

Is it x64 now finally?

Any improvements on working with huge TMs and TBs?
I still have 2017, but now it should have improved by now I would seriously hope!

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Don't celebrate just yet Sep 13, 2020

Marina Steinbach wrote:
I enjoyed working with SDL Trados Studio 2021 today – no problems, no crashes.

So did I. But you need a longer experience than 'today'

@Tomi Dobaj
No, it's 32-bit

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio 2021 released

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »