Thread poster: Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:39
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Jan 11, 2021

Is it just me, or are we witnessing a new trend on Proz, namely reopening/reviving old/closed threads? On moment of writing I count around 20 cases (depends on where you draw the line).

On itself nothing wrong with it, but in some cases a bit confusing, reading an old post (+ recent answer) about an obsolete CAT-tool for example.

Are we out of questions?

[Edited at 2021-01-11 12:56 GMT]

Elena Feriani
Samara Serralheiro

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
No, it's an old trend Jan 11, 2021

Robert Rietvelt wrote:
Is it just me, or are we witnessing a new trend on Proz, namely reopening/reviving old/closed threads?

No, it's an old trend. I sometimes wish ProZ.com would indicate more clearly that it is an OLD thread, so that we don't spend time reading the first few posts, only to discover that the most recent post is (almost always) completely irrelevant.

Robert Rietvelt
Artur Heinrich
Bernhard Sulzer

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Samuel Jan 11, 2021

Samuel Murray wrote:

Robert Rietvelt wrote:
Is it just me, or are we witnessing a new trend on Proz, namely reopening/reviving old/closed threads?

No, it's an old trend. I sometimes wish ProZ.com would indicate more clearly that it is an OLD thread, so that we don't spend time reading the first few posts, only to discover that the most recent post is (almost always) completely irrelevant.

It is not the first time I noticed, but it seems to happen a lot more now then before.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 17:39
English to Russian
No problem for me Jan 11, 2021

In my opinion, having dozens of comments in one thread is better than having dozens of threads with short discussions of the same subject.

Jessica Noyes
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
expressisverbis
Zibow Retailleau
ahartje
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Angus Stewart

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 14:39
Japanese to English
Agree with both suggestions Jan 11, 2021

I see nothing wrong with necro threads. If it's the same issue, it doesn't necessarily need a new thread. But it would be nice to have an [OLD] marker for anything over a certain number of years old. That way posters can decide whether to update the thread or start a new one, and repliers won't get too worked up trying to resolve ancient troubles.

Christel Zipfel
Christine Andersen
MollyRose

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 22:39
Chinese to English
+ ...
Not new Jan 12, 2021

In fact it's gone down a lot over the last few months. There's been a dearth of 10-plus-year necros lately.

Jean Dimitriadis

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Not new 2 Jan 12, 2021

It's quite baffling and annoying at times, yet it seems necro-posting has always been extremely well tolerated in these forums.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Stepan Jan 12, 2021

Stepan Konev wrote:
In my opinion, having dozens of comments in one thread is better than having dozens of threads with short discussions of the same subject.

True, but these posters who raise threads from the dead typically do not read all of the previous posts. They read the first post, and then respond to it. Subsequent readers then have to figure out if it's worth reading and responding to that latest post, since it could well be that the poster is simply restarting a discussion that has already reached a conclusion somewhere in the previous pages. It's fine when a thread is current -- it is being followed by many people how generally keep up with the flow of the various arguments in it. But some resurrecting posters typically do not care about fruitful discussion: they just want to see their name appear in the posts list. Other necro-posters are genuinely interested in continuing the conversation, but I prefer them to start a new thread (with a link to the old thread).

[Edited at 2021-01-12 12:30 GMT]

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Search and rescue Jan 12, 2021

Sometimes an SAR approach can be really helpful. You know, you see what's been posted already and sometimes you get a lightbulb moment. When it helps you understand something you are currently dealing with, then previous - even ancient - posts can help you through the thinking process. It can start making sense thanks to ye olde poste.

I've done this on the KudoZ archives a couple of times in the past. For the record, I plead "not guilty" to ever multi updating anything, now or in
... See more
Sometimes an SAR approach can be really helpful. You know, you see what's been posted already and sometimes you get a lightbulb moment. When it helps you understand something you are currently dealing with, then previous - even ancient - posts can help you through the thinking process. It can start making sense thanks to ye olde poste.

I've done this on the KudoZ archives a couple of times in the past. For the record, I plead "not guilty" to ever multi updating anything, now or in ye olde paste.
Collapse

MollyRose

Lincoln Hui
Hong Kong
Chinese to English
+ ...
Necroposting and netiquette scriptures Feb 19, 2021

I think I found the reason why necroposting is frowned upon here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/2as5gh/eli5_why_is_a_necro_postposter_a_bad_thing/

It says: ‘[…] the fallout of user comments due to necro behavior can make the mods deal with many negative remarks surrounding it.’

... See more
https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/2as5gh/eli5_why_is_a_necro_postposter_a_bad_thing/

It says: ‘[…] the fallout of user comments due to necro behavior can make the mods deal with many negative remarks surrounding it.’

So we have this necroposting ‘rule’, which someone in his (surely a male) infinite wisdom defined for some obscure reason, believing that His word must surely be the law for everybody on the planet, and why not the entire Universe and beyond?

And necroposting is bad because people who subscribe to the view that once a ‘netiquette’ rule has been defined by some dictatorial hack, no sin on Earth – or in the entire Universe, for that matter, as I hinted – is worse than breaking it, so insulting the perpetrator is par for the course, whereas ‘religious’ netiquette followers secretly hope the miserable sod will be slowly roasted over an open fire.

One must conclude that it is bad because the netiquette scriptures say it is bad, and thus the ‘religious’ followers will demonstrate how bad it is by posting nasty comments that make it clear how bad it is, so they can feel vindicated in their self-righteous and glorious beliefs.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Lincoln Feb 19, 2021

Lincoln Hui wrote:

The thread you're linking to is just a question (why is it a bad thing) followed by about 5 individual, short opinions. It's not in any way definitive or even well-reasoned.

Yes, that's one of the 5 opinions.

Lincoln Hui
Hong Kong
Chinese to English
+ ...
Don't shoot the messenger Feb 19, 2021

I'm just regurgitating what my white masters told me. You'll need to bring it up with them if you have any complaints.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New trend?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »