SmartCat not fully compatible with MAC?
Thread poster: Shvettiko
Shvettiko
Shvettiko
Chinese to Russian
+ ...
Nov 21, 2020

Hi all! Is anyone using SmartCat on a Mac? My Mac is High Sierra 10.13.6, and I have noticed that I do not have some important features, for example, I am not able to add a glossary/translation memory to a project or not able to choose "use machine translation" option. I tried on my partner's Windows computer and had all those features! Why they are not on Mac yet? And what would be your recommendation? I got a few projects that need to be completed on SmartCat. Thank you!

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
  Nov 21, 2020

Can't find the system requirements, but have you tried on a different browser, like Chrome?

Shvettiko
Shvettiko
Chinese to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not working on Chrome! Nov 21, 2020

Same issue on Chrome! ;(

I also got in touch with Smartcat’s customer support. They said they would look into it. But they have not got back to me. And I contacted them with another issue before, and they were not very helpful either.

Jean Dimitriadis
English to French
+ ...
  Nov 22, 2020

I am sorry to hear that.

You said you need to work on some SmartCat projects.

The good news is that you can probably Export your SmartCat XLIFF files, complete the translation on a different CAT tool and Import them back int
... See more
I am sorry to hear that.

You said you need to work on some SmartCat projects.

The good news is that you can probably Export your SmartCat XLIFF files, complete the translation on a different CAT tool and Import them back into SmartCat.

https://help.smartcat.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000240072-Export-XLIFF-from-Smartcat
Collapse

Gregory Lassale
Gregory Lassale  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:03
English to French
following up Jan 10, 2021

Following up on this to see how things turned out for OP. I was actually debating switching to a browser based CAT tool and pas wondering about the pros/cons vs desktop apps. I was considering both Smartcat and Matecat (another others that might come recommended)

GL

Shvettiko
Shvettiko
Chinese to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Now working Jan 10, 2021

Hi! I wrote to smartcat support and they have fixed the problem. Now all the features are also available on Mac. So I ended up working on smartcat on my Mac.

Jean Dimitriadis
English to French
+ ...
SmartCat and Mac Jan 10, 2021

Hello Gregory,

Are you also missing some SmartCat features on a Mac, like the OP?

Theoretically, an advantage of a browser-based CAT is that it can work in different operating systems...

Gregory Lassale
Gregory Lassale  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:03
English to French
Haven't checked Jan 10, 2021

Hi there,

I just created an account on the platform yesterday and haven't really given it a spin yet, but if the issue was fixed by Smartcat I'm sure it's all there.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

SmartCat not fully compatible with MAC?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »