Splitting projecct in Transit
Thread poster: Michal Guum
Michal Guum
Michal Guum
Slovakia
Jun 12, 2018

Hello,

I would like to ask you if there is a possibility to split a project in Transit into several smaller sub-projects and then merge them together (the best variant would be according to number of words).

I have several files visible in "Open language pairs." I tried to "Forward" ("Transit options" there and I then I chose "Selected files only") the project by selecting just part of the files and after the test translation I used "Unpacking" function of the partial p
... See more
Hello,

I would like to ask you if there is a possibility to split a project in Transit into several smaller sub-projects and then merge them together (the best variant would be according to number of words).

I have several files visible in "Open language pairs." I tried to "Forward" ("Transit options" there and I then I chose "Selected files only") the project by selecting just part of the files and after the test translation I used "Unpacking" function of the partial project into the main one but the main one was completely rewritten by the partial one and just the smaller amount of files remained (the number I selected for splitting - the rest disappeared/was deleted).

Can you please advise how to split and merge the project correctly?
Thank you very much for your advice.

Have a nice day!

Michal.
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Workaround Jun 14, 2018

I don’t think that there is an out-of-the-box solution.

However, you could easily edit copies of the .prj file, by removing the links to ‘unneeded’ language pairs. This way you create different .prj versions, that you can send to your co-workers.

Send the .prj with the desired language pair links and the corresponding language pairs themselves to the individual translators.

They should return the translated pairs in a ZIP. After receipt, you copy t
... See more
I don’t think that there is an out-of-the-box solution.

However, you could easily edit copies of the .prj file, by removing the links to ‘unneeded’ language pairs. This way you create different .prj versions, that you can send to your co-workers.

Send the .prj with the desired language pair links and the corresponding language pairs themselves to the individual translators.

They should return the translated pairs in a ZIP. After receipt, you copy them to the project folder.

Instead of deleting links to files, you can also place a semicolon at the start of the line:

[Files]
File1=1|1|1|0|1|c:\Documents\1022_BMW_FB_privat_Brosch_2017_DT_V15-RZ_to_translate.idml-Dutch-phrases.xlsx|1022_BMW_FB_privat_Brosch_2017_DT_V15-RZ_to_translate.idml-Dutch-phrases|1022_BMW_FB_privat_Brosch_2017_DT_V15-RZ_to_translate.idml-Dutch-phrases|0
;File2=1|1|1|0|1|c:\Documents\BMW_Blue_8-15_DE_to_translate.idml-Dutch-phrases.xlsx|BMW_Blue_8-15_DE_to_translate.idml-Dutch-phrases|BMW_Blue_8-15_DE_to_translate.idml-Dutch-phrases|0
;File3=1|1|1|0|1|c:\Documents\BMW_Blue_IV_Web_DE_to_translate.idml-Dutch-phrases.xlsx|BMW_Blue_IV_Web_DE_to_translate.idml-Dutch-phrases|BMW_Blue_IV_Web_DE_to_translate.idml-Dutch-phrases|0

[Edited at 2018-06-14 06:32 GMT]
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Edit the Files section in the project definition Jun 15, 2018

Hans Lenting wrote:

Instead of deleting links to files, you can also place a semicolon at the start of the line:

[Files]
File1=1|1|1|0|1|c:\Documents\1022_BMW_FB_privat_Brosch_2017_DT_V15-RZ_to_translate.idml-Dutch-phrases.xlsx|1022_BMW_FB_privat_Brosch_2017_DT_V15-RZ_to_translate.idml-Dutch-phrases|1022_BMW_FB_privat_Brosch_2017_DT_V15-RZ_to_translate.idml-Dutch-phrases|0
;File2=1|1|1|0|1|c:\Documents\BMW_Blue_8-15_DE_to_translate.idml-Dutch-phrases.xlsx|BMW_Blue_8-15_DE_to_translate.idml-Dutch-phrases|BMW_Blue_8-15_DE_to_translate.idml-Dutch-phrases|0
;File3=1|1|1|0|1|c:\Documents\BMW_Blue_IV_Web_DE_to_translate.idml-Dutch-phrases.xlsx|BMW_Blue_IV_Web_DE_to_translate.idml-Dutch-phrases|BMW_Blue_IV_Web_DE_to_translate.idml-Dutch-phrases|0

[Edited at 2018-06-14 06:32 GMT]

First you'll have to find where Transit saves the .PRJ project definition files on your computer. On my computer the folder is:

c:\Users\Public\Documents\Transit NXT\config\global\

Then you'll have to edit the Files section in the project definition as described above.

Should work with "Pack selected only" Jun 15, 2018

Hi Michal,

there *is* an out-of-box-solution and it is just the way you did it:
When packing a project with "selected files only", then the project package (PPF) contains only these files. Therefore, the returning translation (TPF) cannot contain more files i.e. cannot "overwrite" more than the selected files.

Therefore I am surprised it worked not as expected in your test.
Maybe you "played" to roles (sending project manager and receiving translator) on the
... See more
Hi Michal,

When packing a project with "selected files only", then the project package (PPF) contains only these files. Therefore, the returning translation (TPF) cannot contain more files i.e. cannot "overwrite" more than the selected files.

Maybe you "played" to roles (sending project manager and receiving translator) on the same computer? If so, you may have mixed up the two projects...
Can you please describe in detail how you did your test?

Best regards

O.N.

PS: With fiddling around in the PRJ files, you can create more damage than benefit. It makes no sense if you can use normal functions to reach your goal in a easier, more convenient and safer way.
Collapse

Hans Lenting

miso5152
miso5152
Slovakia
Working Jun 18, 2018

Oiseau noir wrote:

Hi Michal,

Maybe you "played" to roles (sending project manager and receiving translator) on the same computer? If so, you may have mixed up the two projects...
Can you please describe in detail how you did your test?

Best regards

O.N.

PS: With fiddling around in the PRJ files, you can create more damage than benefit. It makes no sense if you can use normal functions to reach your goal in a easier, more convenient and safer way.

Hello,

it is already working. I tried to "forward" translation and when I used "Unpack translation" function it rewrote just files I "Forwarded" and it kept changes made during translation just on the files I "Forwarded" and "Unpacked" via "Unpack translation"

Thanks for your help and replies.

Michal.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Splitting projecct in Transit

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »