Rachel Freeman
Rachel Freeman  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:06
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 28, 2012

Hi everyone,

Well, we all have to deal with persnickity clients evey now and again. After translating a web site from Spanish to English for a client (who has proved to be quite picky) through an agency I recieved a long list of complaints. They even asked my Project Manager if a native speaker had done the translation. The I get back their list of concerns and it is FULL of errors in English. Simple grammar mistakes such as plurals where you need the singular and misuse of verbs. <
... See more
Hi everyone,

Well, we all have to deal with persnickity clients evey now and again. After translating a web site from Spanish to English for a client (who has proved to be quite picky) through an agency I recieved a long list of complaints. They even asked my Project Manager if a native speaker had done the translation. The I get back their list of concerns and it is FULL of errors in English. Simple grammar mistakes such as plurals where you need the singular and misuse of verbs.

My question is this, the company is a wholesale distributor, they are insisting on using a term I can not corroborate in any of my research. The term in Spanish was "representante" but the context they were giving me was client or customer. They insist that the correct term in "business English" is Principal. I have tried to document the use of this term in English with wholesale distribution web sites in the US and the UK and NO ONE seems to use it. I am concerned about letting this term slip by because I can not corroborate its use in orignal texts. Has anyone out there done a translation from Spanish to English in this field and used this term or has experience working with the wholesale distribution industry in English and has come accross the term: "Principal" before? Thank you all for your input.
Collapse

David Wright
David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 13:06
German to English
+ ...
Not Spanish but Nov 29, 2012

The term "principal" in an english contract context is actually the opposite of the agent or representative. In an agent-principal relationship the agent (representative) acts for the principal. I think your client has got it entirely wrong. Hope this helps.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spanish to English concerns about terminology: Representante/Principal

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »