Thread poster: Clara Gomez and Marcelo Bellizzi
Clara Gomez and Marcelo Bellizzi
Clara Gomez and Marcelo Bellizzi
Local time: 14:57
English to Pohnpeian
+ ...
Dec 22, 2012

Dear Fellow Translators,

While reviewing a translation by another professional, I think the following is a mistranslation. I am kindly requesting your honest feedback and would appreciate if you have a suggestion to improve the quality. To give you some context, this is in an Agreement between an Exhibitor and a Trade Show representative from the Maritime Industry.

Text in Portuguese:

O Valor de lançamento somente será válido para o pagamento do sinal
... See more
Dear Fellow Translators,

While reviewing a translation by another professional, I think the following is a mistranslation. I am kindly requesting your honest feedback and would appreciate if you have a suggestion to improve the quality. To give you some context, this is in an Agreement between an Exhibitor and a Trade Show representative from the Maritime Industry.

Text in Portuguese:

O Valor de lançamento somente será válido para o pagamento do sinal efetivado até o dia 03/12/12 após essa data será aplicada a tabela da
data da quitação do sinal.

Translated text:

The POSTING amount shall only be valid for the down payment effected until 12/03/2012; after this date, the table of the down payment's settlement date shall be considered.

------------------
YOUR SUGGESTIONS WILL BE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED.

BEST REGARDS,

CLARA GOMEZ
TOTAL TRANSLATIONS, INC.
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 20:57
Spanish to English
+ ...
Post as kudoz query Dec 23, 2012

Although I am not a Portuguese translator myself, I agree that on face value that "POST value" for "Valor de lançamento" looks like it could be a mistranslation. The end of the sentence looks a bit awkward too.
Google translates offers "valor de lançamento" as "release value" which is used in shipping of goods, but I think more context is needed. To have a better idea, I'd need more context, so I recommend posting it as a kudoz query to see what our colleagues suggest.

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:57
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
This is a perfect example... Dec 24, 2012

of a translation worth .06 a word. Garbage!

Vítor Cortes
Vítor Cortes
Portugal
Local time: 19:57
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Eu penso que será mais assim... Apr 11, 2013

O MONTANTE de lançamento será apenas válido para o pagamento do sinal efetivado até o dia 12/03/2012, após essa data, o valor a pagar será referente à tabela de datas para liquidação de pagamento de sinais.

Espero ter ajudado.

Vítor Cortes

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 15:57
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Source text is not any good Apr 11, 2013

Clara Gomez and Marcelo Bellizzi wrote:

Text in Portuguese:

O Valor de lançamento somente será válido para o pagamento do sinal efetivado até o dia 03/12/12 após essa data será aplicada a tabela da data da quitação do sinal.

"Valor de lançamento" is the amount entered on accounting records. Therefore a timely payment made will be entered as the same amount appearing on the corresponding notice, while a late payment will include any penalties for the delay.

"será aplicada a tabela da data da quitação" is poorly written. From a PT-PT standpoint, this is going too far beyond PT-BR in leaving things implied, rather than stating them explicitly. Either "a tabela será aplicada para a data da quitação" or "o índice/fator da tabela será aplicado para a data da quitação" should do.

Clara Gomez and Marcelo Bellizzi wrote:
Translated text:

The POSTING amount shall only be valid for the down payment effected until 12/03/2012; after this date, the table of the down payment's settlement date shall be considered.

If we take what is actually meant here, a possible option would be:

The amount payable/due shown (on the notification? agreement?) shall be valid only if the down payment is made by 12/03/12; thereafter the down payment table (index? factor?) for the actual payment date shall be applied.

I hope this is not another job like the one I'm doing right now... a possibly 20+ pages agreement crammed into just one! All in 4-pt Arial, single-spaced lines. They apparently felt so sure that nobody would be able to read it without a good magnifying glass (yet OCR worked!), that typos and missing words abound. People tend to get careless when they know that nobody will be watching.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help with this translation Portuguese to English

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »