Wordfast Pro supported and operating correctly on macOS 11.0 (Big Sur)?
Thread poster: Jeff Chapman
Jeff Chapman
Jeff Chapman  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 21:53
Japanese to English
+ ...
Nov 15, 2020

macOS Big Sur (11.0) is out. Any Wordfast users here who have upgraded to Big Sur? Any issues or new problems that were not present in Catalina (10.15)?

The Wordfast website specifies that "Mac 10.11 and higher" (SIC) is required, but the software still has issues even more than a year after the release of 10.15 (Catalina) as documente
... See more
macOS Big Sur (11.0) is out. Any Wordfast users here who have upgraded to Big Sur? Any issues or new problems that were not present in Catalina (10.15)?

The Wordfast website specifies that "Mac 10.11 and higher" (SIC) is required, but the software still has issues even more than a year after the release of 10.15 (Catalina) as documented in their release notes (https://www.wordfast.com/support_release_notes). Without belaboring the ever-present "crash on quit" issue and "accessibility nag" issue that Wordfast 5 still suffers from, I'm curious if the app will even run on the new OS.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:53
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Normal practice Nov 15, 2020

Jeff Chapman wrote:

The Wordfast website specifies that "Mac 10.11 and higher" (SIC) is required, but the software still has issues even more than a year after the release of 10.15 (Catalina) as documented in their release notes (https://www.wordfast.com/support_release_notes). Without belaboring the ever-present "crash on quit" issue and "accessibility nag" issue that Wordfast 5 still suffers from, I'm curious if the app will even run on the new OS.

It is normal practice not to use new iterations of the Mac OS until it has been through at least two or three updates. The first version will always contain numerous glitches that could affect your work. You can, of course, install it on a separate computer, drive, or partition and try it out, but for serious activity you should stay with what you know works.

Jeff Chapman

Jeff Chapman
Japan
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Prudent advice Nov 15, 2020

Yes, Tom, that is of course prudent advice. I'm just wondering if there are any specific issues right off the bat that anyone has encountered.

Petar Zivanic

JohnWhi
JohnWhi
United Kingdom
French to English
No problem so far Nov 15, 2020

I have not noticed any problem so far with Wordfast Pro 5.18 in 11.0.1. I admit I have not yet completed a project in Big Sur, just looked around Wordfast to see things were in place.

Jeff Chapman
Japan
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So far, so good... Nov 16, 2020

Wordfast 5.18.0 on macOS 11.0.1 does seem to open, and I'm able to reload one of my previous projects. So far, so good, although I haven't done much else with it yet.

It does still crash on quit. (I haven't seen a single app that exhibited such behavior in a very long time.) This was occurring back on macOS 10.15, though. Wordfast apparently released a beta that fixed it, but their official releases haven't caught up yet, and the latest official release still behaves the same.
... See more
Wordfast 5.18.0 on macOS 11.0.1 does seem to open, and I'm able to reload one of my previous projects. So far, so good, although I haven't done much else with it yet.

It does still crash on quit. (I haven't seen a single app that exhibited such behavior in a very long time.) This was occurring back on macOS 10.15, though. Wordfast apparently released a beta that fixed it, but their official releases haven't caught up yet, and the latest official release still behaves the same.

Will post back with more, once I start using it a bit more as usual. (Obviously, as Tom mentioned, it's not advisable to upgrade your OS to the latest and shiniest version that's relatively untested, unless you're willing to live with more wonky behavior than usual. I just got curious about it and decided to try it out—I've got a few other machines that I can fall back on to return to "business as usual," in case it doesn't work out.)
Collapse

Joanna M Cas (X)
Joanna M Cas (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Italian to English
I'm having problems with Big Sur Nov 20, 2020

Updated to Big Sur yesterday. Wordfast Pro working ok but (i) not highlighting the tag I want to include and (ii) not providing an open window with options from the glossary - I have to expand the window each time. And (iii) for some reason I can't now log into proz, so I've had to move over to the old iMac (Catalina) to write this message!
Update: Oh and now Wordfast has started crashing....

[Edited at 2020-11-20 13:28 GMT]

James Muir
James Muir  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 20:53
Chinese to English
All working normally Nov 25, 2020

I am running Wordfast 5.19.RC1-SNAPSHOT (whatever all that means), which is a beta, I think (see that thread on freezing for d/l link).

Big Sur: I tried it on my MacBook 1st and found no issues, so then installed it on the iMac.

The only problem I have had is that Winzip stopped working - which caused a panic and sent me off to find another MacBook with Catalina to use. However, I have since installed Keka for my zipping issues and my zip files are now readable on the
... See more
I am running Wordfast 5.19.RC1-SNAPSHOT (whatever all that means), which is a beta, I think (see that thread on freezing for d/l link).

Big Sur: I tried it on my MacBook 1st and found no issues, so then installed it on the iMac.

The only problem I have had is that Winzip stopped working - which caused a panic and sent me off to find another MacBook with Catalina to use. However, I have since installed Keka for my zipping issues and my zip files are now readable on the Windows computer I u/l to once again.

So, all in all, it's fine for me.
Collapse

Jeff Chapman
Japan
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Keka Nov 25, 2020

Yes, Keka seems to work really well for archiving files on macOS to send to Windows users. Good mention. I haven't heard any complaints from clients using Windows so far.

Jeff Chapman
Japan
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wordfast Pro crashing—more details? Nov 25, 2020

Joanna M Case wrote:

Wordfast Pro working ok but (i) not highlighting the tag I want to include and (ii) not providing an open window with options from the glossary - I have to expand the window each time.
Update: Oh and now Wordfast has started crashing....

[Edited at 2020-11-20 13:28 GMT]

What kind of crashing have you experienced, Joanna? If it's crashing on quit, that's a known problem. The latest beta (release candidate) seems to fix this problem.

Joanna M Cas (X)
Joanna M Cas (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Italian to English
No crashing on quit Nov 25, 2020

Jeff - it just suddenly auto-quits mid work. Usually when I'm doing something with the glossaries rather than actually processing segments.

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:53
Member (2006)
French to English
Download and install 5.19 Nov 25, 2020

Hello,

Version 5.19 is now available for download at wordfast.com

Please see if that resolves the issue.

Kind regards,
John

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Pro supported and operating correctly on macOS 11.0 (Big Sur)?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »