Thread poster: Luigi Benetton
Luigi Benetton
Luigi Benetton  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:27
French to English
+ ...
Nov 20, 2020

I'm using Wordfast Pro 3 on a Mac, macOS 10.15.7 (Catalina)

When I load a translation memory, I usually get confirmation messages telling me the memory is "connected" to the project.

When I try to load a 350+ MB memory, I can go through the steps, but I don't get confirmation messages. I get no messages, not even error messages. WFPro3 seems to work at it, then returns to the dialog for loading memories.

This memory works fine for other people, even on remo
... See more
I'm using Wordfast Pro 3 on a Mac, macOS 10.15.7 (Catalina)

When I load a translation memory, I usually get confirmation messages telling me the memory is "connected" to the project.

When I try to load a 350+ MB memory, I can go through the steps, but I don't get confirmation messages. I get no messages, not even error messages. WFPro3 seems to work at it, then returns to the dialog for loading memories.

This memory works fine for other people, even on remote server environments. It loads in a Windows remote environment I can access (but don't use).

Can anybody suggest why this might be happening, and how to fix it?
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:27
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Just an idea Nov 23, 2020

Luigi Benetton wrote:

This memory works fine for other people…

Do you know those other people personally? Then ask them to convert it to TMX, then try to import the TMX version.

Luigi Benetton
Luigi Benetton  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:27
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good idea, but... Nov 25, 2020

I exported the .txt to .tmx successfully (with a list of error messages that seems manageable). When "connecting" the .tmx to a project, though, Wordfast switched the source language of the translation memory so that it will not work with the text I tested.

Meanwhile, I can run a "pre-translation" on a server at the office, then download the Wordfast file to my computer to finish the job. That accomplishes the pre-translation I want out of this huge translation memory and I can use
... See more
I exported the .txt to .tmx successfully (with a list of error messages that seems manageable). When "connecting" the .tmx to a project, though, Wordfast switched the source language of the translation memory so that it will not work with the text I tested.

Meanwhile, I can run a "pre-translation" on a server at the office, then download the Wordfast file to my computer to finish the job. That accomplishes the pre-translation I want out of this huge translation memory and I can use the client translation memory on my computer as I work to capture new segments as I work.

Note: I only ever work off copies of the translation memories we have. I only write revised and validated segments back to the main translation memories.

Regardless, any other ideas, suggestions and questions are welcome.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Large translation memory (.txt) does not load

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »