Ilde Grimaldi
Ilde Grimaldi  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:55
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Jan 22, 2021

Dear all.
I am quite new to advanced use of Wordfast Pro.
I have completed a large proofreading assignment (60.000 words). Now I have another very similar and rush assignment to proofread, completed by a different translator. I would like to apply my updated TM to the translated files. But I only wish to change and lock/mark translated possible 100% matches found in TM.
It seems that there is not such on option in order to only apply the perfect and 100% match found and leav
... See more
Dear all.
I have completed a large proofreading assignment (60.000 words). Now I have another very similar and rush assignment to proofread, completed by a different translator. I would like to apply my updated TM to the translated files. But I only wish to change and lock/mark translated possible 100% matches found in TM.
It seems that there is not such on option in order to only apply the perfect and 100% match found and leaving untouched the other translated segments (in this case I risk to apply a fuzzy match and not been able to see the proposed translation of translator).
This option is available in other CAT tools (DVX for example).
Thank you
Ilde
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Ilde Jan 22, 2021

Ilde Grimaldi wrote:

Which version of Wordfast Pro? 3 or 5?

Ilde Grimaldi
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wordfast Pro 5. Latest release. Jan 22, 2021

Samuel Murray wrote:

Ilde Grimaldi wrote:

Which version of Wordfast Pro? 3 or 5?

Andriy Yasharov
Andriy Yasharov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 13:55
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Pre-Translation in Wordfast Pro 5 Jan 22, 2021

www.wordfast.net/wiki/Pre-Translation_in_Wordfast_Pro_5

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Ilde Jan 22, 2021

Ilde Grimaldi wrote:
Now I have another very similar and rush assignment to proofread, completed by a different translator. I would like to apply my updated TM to the translated files. But I only wish to change and lock/mark translated possible 100% matches found in TM.

I believe it may be possible. I haven't done this, so test it on a copy (!).

After you've created your TXLF file (it is in the project folders somewhere), go to the Quick Tools section (Ctrl+5) and go to the Analysis tab. Drag-and-drop the TXLF file into the left pane, and select your TM in the top right pane. In the bottom right pane, select various options. Then click the Analyze button in the bottom right.

analyze options

(The Analysis tab is actually meant for creating a word count analysis of the file, hence "report" everywhere, but it has a few pre-translation options.)

[Edited at 2021-01-22 19:18 GMT]

Ilde Grimaldi
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dear Manuel, it worked Jan 22, 2021

I checked on a smaller file (7000 words) and now 47% is locked so I can clearly see it correctly applied TM on >98%. I had missed the part "drag and drop a file" (thought this would apply only while creating the project, because I could not see the files of the project) and "select a TM" (I thougth the TM already currently setup in relevant tab of the project was enough).
Thank you so much, I think my health will gain from sparing some thousands of clicks, this time.

... See more
I checked on a smaller file (7000 words) and now 47% is locked so I can clearly see it correctly applied TM on >98%. I had missed the part "drag and drop a file" (thought this would apply only while creating the project, because I could not see the files of the project) and "select a TM" (I thougth the TM already currently setup in relevant tab of the project was enough).
Thank you so much, I think my health will gain from sparing some thousands of clicks, this time.

PS: do you work for/with Wordfast? It is a pity that segments cannot be selected in order to apply something on them (status). I have read in an old topic here, that this was discussed but not implemented yet.
Thank you!
Ilde
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Ilde Jan 23, 2021

Ilde Grimaldi wrote:
Do you work for/with Wordfast?

Nope.

I had missed the part "drag and drop a file" (thought this would apply only while creating the project, because I could not see the files of the project) and "select a TM" (I thought the TM already currently setup in relevant tab of the project was enough).

As noted in the post by Andriy, you can do this while inside a project. But the Quick Tools are outside of projects. Some of the processes that are present in Quick Tools are also available inside projects, but I find it easier in some cases to just use the Quick Tools directly.

[Edited at 2021-01-23 16:51 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

pretranslating only applying 100% matches

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »