What you think about "chat" and "sms" language?
Thread poster: Kamal Wallauer
Kamal Wallauer
Kamal Wallauer  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:08
German to Italian
+ ...
Oct 9, 2008

I think that young people is loosing the ability to write down complete words.

Anne Brackenborough (X)
Anne Brackenborough (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
just the latest trend Oct 10, 2008

I think the only reason we think young people spell and write very badly at the moment is that now, their spelling and writing is publically visible on the Internet for all to see, and has taken on a form we can give names to (lolspeak, Kitteh, txt) whereas before, it wasn't so visible and didn't have a special name.

I think it's just this generation's way of expressing themselves. My daughter (11) yesterday wrote an e-mail to her friend and I peeped over her shoulder. She was writi
... See more
I think the only reason we think young people spell and write very badly at the moment is that now, their spelling and writing is publically visible on the Internet for all to see, and has taken on a form we can give names to (lolspeak, Kitteh, txt) whereas before, it wasn't so visible and didn't have a special name.

I think it's just this generation's way of expressing themselves. My daughter (11) yesterday wrote an e-mail to her friend and I peeped over her shoulder. She was writing all the words wrong ("Wier" for "wir", etc.) - but deliberately; she gets very good marks in German. It's a form of code-switching that I think is pretty common: everyone writes in a different style to their friends to that they use to write a CV, for example. Sure, some people really can't spell, but to be honest I think literacy is improving in most countries.
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Just for fun! Oct 10, 2008

Kamal Wallauer wrote:
I think that young people is loosing the ability to write down complete words.

I don't think this is is true. Each group needs a language, and SMS and chat language is their language. They communicate more with less letters, but in general youngsters can spell quite well I reckon. Well, not perfectly, but "normally".

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:08
French to English
On the plus side Oct 10, 2008

I read somewhere, and it may only be anecdotal, that it can actually help literacy improve, to the extent that if you can't read and write, you are now out of the loop.

If you see some of the stuff that gets written in txt spk on social networking sites, you can only (begrudgingly?) admire some of it. It takes me about 4 times longer to read than conventional writing. That said, I can't help but wish it were written conventionally. Is any kind of literacy better than no literacy at
... See more
I read somewhere, and it may only be anecdotal, that it can actually help literacy improve, to the extent that if you can't read and write, you are now out of the loop.

If you see some of the stuff that gets written in txt spk on social networking sites, you can only (begrudgingly?) admire some of it. It takes me about 4 times longer to read than conventional writing. That said, I can't help but wish it were written conventionally. Is any kind of literacy better than no literacy at all...?

And I do hope that it does not spread. I sometimes see people posting in a "hey can u guys hlp pls" vein on here and quite frankly it makes me want to hit them on the knees with a shovel (possibly "untl dey bg 4 mrcy").
Collapse

kanajlo
kanajlo
Local time: 16:08
Esperanto to English
+ ...
"Chat" and "sms" language Oct 10, 2008

Every means of expression has its proper time and place. In the lower grades, we should encourage children to read and write clearly, with good grammar and spelling. There is no substitute for this, unless impoverishment of your native tongue is a thought that doesn't bother you. (Sorry, but it bothers me.) I've seen a general decline in English skills and general grammar among children _in my lifetime_, most notably a conflation of the past tense and past participle ("I shrunk the shirt," "I've... See more
Every means of expression has its proper time and place. In the lower grades, we should encourage children to read and write clearly, with good grammar and spelling. There is no substitute for this, unless impoverishment of your native tongue is a thought that doesn't bother you. (Sorry, but it bothers me.) I've seen a general decline in English skills and general grammar among children _in my lifetime_, most notably a conflation of the past tense and past participle ("I shrunk the shirt," "I've went to the rodeo several times,") and I'm not an old man. Get the basics first: teach or learn them well, then use any slang or code or creole you wish.Collapse

tweetie
tweetie  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:08
English to Vietnamese
Brace yourself for the new age Oct 10, 2008

Imagine what will happen when all those teens and their power get carried on with time? In the next century, it can be the one language used all over the world.

Maybe it's time to start to learn the sms and chat language in order to survive.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Too old to be terrified too early Oct 10, 2008

tweetie wrote:
Imagine what will happen when all those teens and their power get carried on with time? In the next century, it can be the one language used all over the world.
Maybe it's time to start to learn the sms and chat language in order to survive.

I am too old to be terrified too early about things. If things evolve that way, I will be happy to learn to use that language for my translations.

awilliams
awilliams
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:08
Italian to English
+ ...
txt spk Oct 10, 2008

i have no prbs wth txt spk - mayb im 2 tight 2 spnd lts on txts tho lol -

Times change. BUT the little pedant in me is sad that the use of "ur" for "you're" and "your" has served to exacerbate the national "you're/your" problem. Again, though, maybe this is just the way things are destined to go...? Food for thought.

l8rs

PS I neglected to say that I have a 21-year-old brother. Maintaining communication is vital!

[Edited at 2008-10-10 16:43]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What you think about "chat" and "sms" language?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »