Dorothee Rault (Witt)
France
Local time: 07:27
Member (2007)
French to German
+ ...
Sep 9, 2014

Dear All,

Since some time now I have a problem with the reception of mails, i. e. I receive mails with big attachments some hours later. Although I have a professional account with a big French telecommunication company and pay dearly for this, the problem could not be resolved.

I have been told that the company is not responsible for the reception of attachments, but just for the reception of mails...

To find a way out of this jungle, I am wondering if a s
... See more
Dear All,

Since some time now I have a problem with the reception of mails, i. e. I receive mails with big attachments some hours later. Although I have a professional account with a big French telecommunication company and pay dearly for this, the problem could not be resolved.

I have been told that the company is not responsible for the reception of attachments, but just for the reception of mails...

To find a way out of this jungle, I am wondering if a server could be an alternative for me. For my own peace of mind I would not like to use free mail services like yahoo or gmail.

Does anyone has experience with this?

I would be glad for any help!

Best,

Dorothee
Collapse

Victoria Britten
Victoria Britten  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
WeTransfer Sep 9, 2014

I use WeTransfer, which is quick (3-4 minutes for a 700 Mo file) and easy to use.

Since I live and work in France too and am considering changing phone provider, I would be interested in knowing which company it is which charges you for a professional account without providing the service - PM me?

Andrzej Lejman
Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
Slow Internet access Sep 9, 2014

may be responsible for this, not your account itself.

Obtain a broad band access per cable or mobile LTE.

Dorothee Rault (Witt)
Dorothee Rault (Witt)
France
Member (2007)
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Sep 9, 2014

I know WeTransfer, but in fact, the problem is not me sending mails, but receiving them from my clients.

And I am quite sure that the Internet access is not the problem as Internet otherwise is working really fine.

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
First find out the reason Sep 9, 2014

Dorothee Rault wrote:

I am wondering if a server could be an alternative for me.

Look at the header lines of such a delayed mail. By default, that header is hidden but any e-mail software is able to display it upon request. In that header you'll find a lot of gibberish, including several lines starting with "Received:"

Example:
Received by QWETRTZ from ASDFG at 10 o'clock
Received by ASDFG from XYZ at 7 o'clock

QWETRTZ, ASDFG & XYZ are stopovers within the Internet. The example means that ASDFG is the culprit, it acts as a bottleneck: It stored (=delayed) the mail for 3 hours, then passed it on to QWERTZ.

Note that the "Received by" lines are displayed in descending order. So the bottommost line is the very first one. It's "From" entry may be either a local computer at your client's company or your client's Internet provider – the names will indicate this. (Note that the time stamps may take into account the local time.) The culprit may be any of the involved stopovers. So, first of all, you have to find out who the culprit is.

http://kb.mediatemple.net/questions/892/Understanding%20an%20email%20header

If you want to avoid the delay, your mail has to be transferred via a different path. This may be or not be achievable by using a personal web server. It depends on where that server is located resp who hosts it. Of course the concrete path may depend on your client as well, especially if the client is located in your country.

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
No service can work faster than the local Internet connection Sep 9, 2014

Victoria Britten wrote:

I use WeTransfer, which is quick (3-4 minutes for a 700 Mo file)

700 MB @ 3 min = 31 Mbit/s, but you have to add about 2o % for overhead.

So you need a fast Internet access. I've got 50 Mbit/s, but many colleagues don't get more than 2 Mbit/s.

Dorothee Rault (Witt)
Dorothee Rault (Witt)
France
Member (2007)
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Web hosting companies Sep 11, 2014

Hi Rolf,

Many thanks! I have tried to display the header but am not able to. Perhaps because the reception of mails is web based i. e. I do not have a special e-mail program but just the interface the client proposes? (Their first question is always: You do not use Outlook, don't you?)

Anyway, your contribution has helped me in a way not to lose hope and to get started again to find my way out of this "kafkaïen" situation:).

I am now checking with web host
... See more
Hi Rolf,

Many thanks! I have tried to display the header but am not able to. Perhaps because the reception of mails is web based i. e. I do not have a special e-mail program but just the interface the client proposes? (Their first question is always: You do not use Outlook, don't you?)

Anyway, your contribution has helped me in a way not to lose hope and to get started again to find my way out of this "kafkaïen" situation:).

I am now checking with web hosting companies like Strato or 1&1.

If anyone has any experience with this, I am always happy to share it with you. But please remember: I am leaving in France:)!

Best,

Dorothee
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Go for an ISP Sep 11, 2014

Dorothee Rault wrote:

Clearly you want to leave the big bad telecoms company behind and go for a domain hosted with a reasonably reliable ISP (i.e. a provider whose services are available more than 99% of the time and has very few issues during the year). A reliable ISP is not necessarily a big ISP. My ISP is a company with three people, and they work beautifully.

Get your own domain and pay the ISP to give you a large space. Ideally, the space you hire should be usable for all possible purposes. For instance, with my ISP the space reserved for the web is also used for my email accounts, so I can receive really large attachments if I wanted to. Talk to your ISP about the possible email services available, like POP (downloaded to your computer), IMAP (stored in the ISP's email server so that you can sync your email in multiple types of devices)...

Dorothee Rault (Witt)
Dorothee Rault (Witt)
France
Member (2007)
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Merci, Tomas! Sep 11, 2014

In fact, I have found a company in my home village (Network Communication) who is not an IPS (in France you have to stay with the big ones to get access to Internet I think) but who is offering all the other services: email, hosting ... So I have someone I can directly speak to instead of listing to some music on the phone for hours:). I think this will be the best solution for me. I will in that case have a domain and can change the IPS if needed without bothering anyone with a new e-mail-addr... See more
In fact, I have found a company in my home village (Network Communication) who is not an IPS (in France you have to stay with the big ones to get access to Internet I think) but who is offering all the other services: email, hosting ... So I have someone I can directly speak to instead of listing to some music on the phone for hours:). I think this will be the best solution for me. I will in that case have a domain and can change the IPS if needed without bothering anyone with a new e-mail-address.

Hope it works!
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Good idea Sep 11, 2014

Dorothee Rault wrote:
I will in that case have a domain and can change the IPS if needed without bothering anyone with a new e-mail-address.

Exactly. Good luck with it!

(As for the definition of ISP, in my opinion, basically any company offering Internet-related services like email, hosting, etc. is an ISP; what Telecom companies normally do is simply give you the physical line and access to the network itself, not to any service in particular).

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Different definitions Sep 12, 2014

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

As for the definition of ISP, in my opinion, basically any company offering Internet-related services like email, hosting, etc. is an ISP;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_service_provider

In my country "ISP" means "Access provider", so we never say e. g. "Google (--> Gmail) is an ISP".

[quote]what Telecom companies normally do is simply give you the physical line and access to the network itself, not to any service in particular.

In my country, all telcos offer - in addition - at least e-mail and homepage space. And there are access providers here who are no telcos. My telco operates even a big domestic part of the Internet, it doesn't provide just "access to the network itself".

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Server for translator

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »