Powwow in Tokyo (Shinjuku) May 23
Thread poster: Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 07:34
SITE FOUNDER
May 11, 2004

Minasan, konnichiwa!

In case you have not noticed "Tokyo" in the powwow list, I am announcing that there will be a powwow in Tokyo, in Shinjuku, on May 23. Please sign up if you wish to be informed of time and location, when they are decided:

http://www.proz.com/powwow/532

I'd like to meet as many of our Japan-based members as possible. Talk it up and see you there!<
... See more
Minasan, konnichiwa!

In case you have not noticed "Tokyo" in the powwow list, I am announcing that there will be a powwow in Tokyo, in Shinjuku, on May 23. Please sign up if you wish to be informed of time and location, when they are decided:

http://www.proz.com/powwow/532

I'd like to meet as many of our Japan-based members as possible. Talk it up and see you there!

Henry
Collapse

Pow Wow in Tokyo!? May 11, 2004

This note is not for the purpose of me participating the Pow Wow. This is a matter o intellectual curiosity -- so to speak. I understand Pow Wow is to promote commoradeship among us translators who prescribe oneself as ProZ folk. Then, I wonder how many of you know the derivation of this word. Of course founder Henry knows it, I am sure. Has this subject ever discussed in this forum -- namely its derivation? May be. Yet "meddlesomeness" being my second name, I would like to add a note of some en... See more
This note is not for the purpose of me participating the Pow Wow. This is a matter o intellectual curiosity -- so to speak. I understand Pow Wow is to promote commoradeship among us translators who prescribe oneself as ProZ folk. Then, I wonder how many of you know the derivation of this word. Of course founder Henry knows it, I am sure. Has this subject ever discussed in this forum -- namely its derivation? May be. Yet "meddlesomeness" being my second name, I would like to add a note of some encyclopedic knowledge in nature (whether being asked or not).
Pow Wow (can be spelled as one word), is an Algonquin Indian word means "gathering", be it a family gathering or that of a small community, or a nation as a whole (the Economic Summit by G8 is a Pow Wow too, for that matter). In case you never heard about "Algonquin" Indian, they are the Natives of East Coat of today's USA, and the most famous being Powhatan (Pocahontas people). Thank you for your time.
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 07:34
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
On the way to a powwow, I passed a Pow Wow May 12, 2004

Thanks, Susan. For those who do not know, the word "powwow" is used somewhat generically in the US for a meeting that is both social/informal and productive--a "roll-up-your-sleeves" type of affair.

Before applying this word for our local meetings, I investigated the history of the term, and like Susan, I was intrigued. One thing that struck me is that Pow Wows provide a means for building relationships not only within a tribe, but between tribes.

This was fitting, I th
... See more
Thanks, Susan. For those who do not know, the word "powwow" is used somewhat generically in the US for a meeting that is both social/informal and productive--a "roll-up-your-sleeves" type of affair.

Before applying this word for our local meetings, I investigated the history of the term, and like Susan, I was intrigued. One thing that struck me is that Pow Wows provide a means for building relationships not only within a tribe, but between tribes.

This was fitting, I think, because in addition to providing an informal way of meeting local people in the same profession, I hope powwows contribute in some way to solidarity among translators worldwide.

Then again, we are just talking about a meal, maybe some drinks. Kigaru ni douzo!

By the way, on my way to a powwow in Montreal, I happened to pass a real "Pow Wow". It was a very colorful affair!
Collapse

Real stuff!! May 14, 2004

Thank you Henry for your comment!
So you come acroos REAL Pow Wow, hah!?

By the way those who have never come across that Native American stuff please visit my pages. You may find it very, very colorful gathering as Henry noted.

http://www.cckoyama.com/dancers.htm
<
... See more
Thank you Henry for your comment!
So you come acroos REAL Pow Wow, hah!?

By the way those who have never come across that Native American stuff please visit my pages. You may find it very, very colorful gathering as Henry noted.

http://www.cckoyama.com/dancers.htm
http://www.cckoyama.com/MesaPowWow.html

In case you are in doubt, this suggestion is not meant for self promoting, but for your entertainment.

Cheers!
Collapse

sarahl (X)
sarahl (X)
Local time: 04:34
English to French
+ ...
Modern Japanese translation May 16, 2004

Maido!
Unfortunately, I won't be able to join you in Shinjuku, I usually visit Japan in the fall. So I thought I would contribute by translating this intriguing Algonquin word in modern (if outdated Japanese).
So enjoy your nomunikeishon in Tokyo, dear colleagues.
Sa--rah

ejprotran
ejprotran
Local time: 20:34
English to Japanese
Hey, does anyone want to report on the meeting? May 28, 2004

I wish I could have attended the meeting! Maybe some of you who were there could share the experience with us. Hope you all had a fun there:)

[Edited at 2004-06-07 13:53]

Yuriko Daikoku
Yuriko Daikoku  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 20:34
English to Japanese
+ ...
Any possibility of next chance? Jun 5, 2004

Hi Henry,

How was the meeting like?
I was disappointed that I coundn't attend the meeting as large volume of translation to be done.

Please, do organise Powwow in Tokyo again in near future.
I'm looking forward to meeting other translators!

[Edited at 2004-06-05 10:16]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Takeshi MIYAHARA[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Powwow in Tokyo (Shinjuku) May 23

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »