Off topic: Argentine cat in need of domestic help! (rather "help with domestic issue")
Thread poster: Monica Colangelo
Monica Colangelo
Monica Colangelo  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 09:20
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 2, 2005

Dear colleagues:

My brother bought my daughters a box of "chocolates" at Tokyo airport.
To our surprise, when we opened the box we found a lot of gellatin-like balls and two small plastic bags: one is filled with chocolate powder and the other one has white powder inside and the bag is labelled "Do not eat" "Do not microwave".
That is about as much English as is displayed. There is also some legend in English on the box but not much help, not a hint on how to... cook? (
... See more
Dear colleagues:

To our surprise, when we opened the box we found a lot of gellatin-like balls and two small plastic bags: one is filled with chocolate powder and the other one has white powder inside and the bag is labelled "Do not eat" "Do not microwave".
That is about as much English as is displayed. There is also some legend in English on the box but not much help, not a hint on how to... cook? (I assume the "chocolates" should be cooked) or somehow get these gellatin balls ready to be eaten. The rest of the box is written in Japanese and, believe me, it would take an Argentine cat a lifetime to post a Kudoz question in Japanese:):):)
The box reads "Tokyo Marron Chocolate Daifuku" and "Tokyo_Kuri_Choco_Daifuku

Thanks a lot in advance!!!

[Edited at 2005-05-02 18:24]
Collapse

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:20
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Can you take a picture of the box with the text? May 2, 2005

trixiemck wrote:
The rest of the box is written in Japanese

Could you take a picture of the box with the text and upload it somewhere, so we could take a look?
Katalin

Monica Colangelo
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you kindly, Katalin May 2, 2005

Let's see... I don't seem to be able to upload it here. I'll send it to your e-mail address (hope you don't mind it) but the picture I took is not quite clear I am afraid. I just want to know if I've got to put them in the oven or the freezer!Ha, ha...

sarahl (X)
sarahl (X)
Local time: 05:20
English to French
+ ...
"Do not eat" powder May 2, 2005

That's probably a moisture repellent, a lot of Japanese goods come with those as Japan is a very humid country. Don't even open the bag !

As for the instructions, can you maybe take a picture or fax them to one of us?

Sarah

Monica Colangelo
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Why not tempt fate? May 2, 2005

That's what my daughters (adolescents) must have thought. They can read English (the eldest speaks beautiful English) but they had to find out what it tasted like. And they do know that "do not eat" means "DO NOT EAT". This was 24 hours ago and they are still alive and kicking. I guess it is silica powder and I told them so but they claimed it must be baking powder!
I've already sent a photo of the package to Katalin and do not want to keep bothering people. Maybe a Japanese native is fami
... See more
That's what my daughters (adolescents) must have thought. They can read English (the eldest speaks beautiful English) but they had to find out what it tasted like. And they do know that "do not eat" means "DO NOT EAT". This was 24 hours ago and they are still alive and kicking. I guess it is silica powder and I told them so but they claimed it must be baking powder!
I've already sent a photo of the package to Katalin and do not want to keep bothering people. Maybe a Japanese native is familiar with the product and can help me. Thank you kindly for replying!
Collapse

Tommy Konishi
Tommy Konishi  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:20
English to Japanese
Can I help you ? (from Japanese native May 2, 2005

[quote]trixiemck wrote:

>Maybe a Japanese native is familiar with the product and can help me.

Hi !

As far as reading previous comments,
it seems to be a kind of "drier", and
Cat and/or human should not eat it.

I'm sorry if I could not understand what help is needed now.

Tatsuya (Tommy) Konishi

Can Altinbay
Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:20
Japanese to English
+ ...
In memoriam
They're chocolate flavored rice cakes May 3, 2005

trixiemck wrote:

Dear colleagues:

That is about as much English as is displayed. There is also some legend in English on the box but not much help, not a hint on how to... cook? (I assume the "chocolates" should be cooked) or somehow get these gellatin balls ready to be eaten. The rest of the box is written in Japanese and, believe me, it would take an Argentine cat a lifetime to post a Kudoz question in Japanese:):):)
The box reads "Tokyo Marron Chocolate Daifuku" and "Tokyo_Kuri_Choco_Daifuku

Thanks a lot in advance!!!

[Edited at 2005-05-02 18:24]

Choco is Japanese short form for chocolate. Marron (French) and kuri (Japanese) mean chestnut. Daifuku is a rice cake filled with (typically) bean paste. I guess the whole thing is chocolate flavored rice cake filled with chestnut based paste. If the bag says "do not eat", it is pretty certain that it is, as mentioned by others, a demoisturizer and would be poisinous.
As someone also suggested, a picture of the Japanese would help.

sarahl (X)
sarahl (X)
Local time: 05:20
English to French
+ ...
Got it (thanks Can!) May 3, 2005

ok Trixie,

I think I know what you're looking at.
The "gelatin balls" as you call them are probably mochi, and you're supposed to sprinkle the chocolate/chestnut powder on the mochi, or rather coat the mochi with it.

Enjoy!

Sarah

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Takeshi MIYAHARA[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Argentine cat in need of domestic help! (rather "help with domestic issue")

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »