Localisation of ASP - survey by a student. Please help!
Thread poster: chirigoni
chirigoni
chirigoni
Local time: 21:21
English to Italian
Jul 31, 2002

My name is Bruna. I am a student at Imperial College, in London, where I will be completing my MSc in Translation with a dissertation on Localisation of ASP. I would appreciate if you could spare some of your time to answer this questionnaire to help my research. As you will know, this is a relatively new topic for which it is difficult to find reference material. This is the reason why I will base my research on your information, since you might have experience on this field., or know somebody ... See more
My name is Bruna. I am a student at Imperial College, in London, where I will be completing my MSc in Translation with a dissertation on Localisation of ASP. I would appreciate if you could spare some of your time to answer this questionnaire to help my research. As you will know, this is a relatively new topic for which it is difficult to find reference material. This is the reason why I will base my research on your information, since you might have experience on this field., or know somebody who has.

Please feel free to add information on aspects of localisation of ASP I might have omitted in my questionnaire.

Thank You

Bruna Chirigoni

Questionnnaire

Localisation of ASP

1) Do you localise websites which include ASP pages?

2) What type of files do you receive when you localise a website (e.g. ASP, HTML)?

3) How do you receive and return files [e.g. FTP, email, other program (please specify)]?

4) What type of ASP pages are more commonly localised (with what purpose, e.g. e-commerce, forms)?

5) Do you use any translation aid [e.g. translation memory, machine translation software (please specify)]?

6) Do you receive both static and dynamic text (do you receive only static text or also text to be translated from the database)?

7) How do you carry out the process of localisation when you have separate files? In what order do you localise different file types)?

If you have to translate text in the database, how do you access the database?

9) Are you in contact with the database developer?

10) Do you have a program that exports data from the database? Which one?

11) When you translate text in the database, do you count the words retrieved in the database, or only the words in the static text?

12) Do you have access to ASP pages that show the ASP tags (the VBScript or other)?

13) What could be an example of translation-dependent tag? How do you deal with them?

14) If you have access to the ASP page with the ASP tags, do you need IIS or PWS server applications to be able to execute them and test them?

15) How do you deal with graphics, or items that is not text (animations/audio/video files)?

16) Do you pre-process and post-process files?

17) If you use any translation aids, could you suggest any other software suitable for localising ASP?

1 Do you think ASP is an adequate technology for multilingual projects?

19) What, in your opinion, are the shortcomings of localising ASP?

20) Do you think a translator/localiser should have a good knowledge of ASP programming to be able to localise ASP?

Collapse

Jake Estrada FCIL CL
Jake Estrada FCIL CL  Identity Verified
Philippines
Local time: 03:21
Member (2003)
English to Tagalog
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
your email address please...? Aug 2, 2002

Hi Bruna,

Your survey seems interesting. However, you might want to post your email address so that people could reply to you privately. Some people may not be too comfortable about baring their answers in public, and so I believe posting your email here may also encourage people to reply to reply to your survey.

Have a good day.

Best wishes,

Jake

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Localisation of ASP - survey by a student. Please help!

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »