Cedomir Pusica  Identity Verified
Srbsko
Local time: 17:59
Člen (2009)
angličtina -> srbština
+ ...
Feb 10, 2012

Hi all,

I have a huge project with Trados .ttx files and the client insists on using Trados. As I have Trados 7 - you can imagine how difficult it is to work with it.

Do you know of a procedure to prep the .ttx files for import into memoQ without losing the original formatting and predefined segmentation rules? I need to be 100% sure it won't make a mess to the DTP department.

If you need more info, please say so.

Thank you in advance!

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Španělsko
Člen (2005)
angličtina -> španělština
+ ...
Simple Feb 10, 2012

Do you have Trados 7? If you do, it is actually very simple: you only have to "pre-translate" the files, i.e. create an empty memory (or better, use the Trados memory you received for the project, so that the languages are set correctly) and use Tools - Translate. Translate all TTX files with the "Segment unknown segments".

The reason you have to pre-segment/pre-translate the files in Trados is what SDL has never published its segmentation rules for TTX, so it is best to presegment
... See more
Do you have Trados 7? If you do, it is actually very simple: you only have to "pre-translate" the files, i.e. create an empty memory (or better, use the Trados memory you received for the project, so that the languages are set correctly) and use Tools - Translate. Translate all TTX files with the "Segment unknown segments".

The reason you have to pre-segment/pre-translate the files in Trados is what SDL has never published its segmentation rules for TTX, so it is best to presegment the TTX files in Trados. You can then add them to your memoQ project, work on them (mind the tags, do not forget tags), and extract them (Extract-Dialog) back to the TTX format.

Yo do not need to use Trados after memoQ. The TTX files you get form memoQ are perfectly OK with Trados. I have worked this way for two years already with my all-Trados customers.
Collapse

Cedomir Pusica
Srbsko
Člen (2009)
angličtina -> srbština
+ ...
AUTOR TÉMATU
Did that Feb 10, 2012

Hi Tomas,

I had already done that. When importing the files into memoQ, I selected the Add Document As... option, and ticked the Import Unsegmented Content box (this is because Trados does not segment all numbers, for example). I finished the project and delivered the files to the client, saying that I used memoQ for the job.

After a couple of days time, their response was: oh, we noticed that you used memoQ, and we explicitly asked you to use Trados...

T
... See more
Hi Tomas,

I had already done that. When importing the files into memoQ, I selected the Add Document As... option, and ticked the Import Unsegmented Content box (this is because Trados does not segment all numbers, for example). I finished the project and delivered the files to the client, saying that I used memoQ for the job.

After a couple of days time, their response was: oh, we noticed that you used memoQ, and we explicitly asked you to use Trados...

This is why I'm perplexed: is it that something went wrong (was my procedure wrong) or they just thought it may cause the problem for the mere fact I used memoQ?
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Španělsko
Člen (2005)
angličtina -> španělština
+ ...
It is a problem for some customers Feb 10, 2012

Cedomir Pusica wrote:

Indeed by using the "Import unsegmented..." option in memoQ, you artificially created segmentation where Trados wouldn't have created it, and this is of course a concern for Trados-only customers who do not understand why you have to use memoQ if they requested something else.

The only thing I can recommend for this kind of customer is to edit the numbers natively in Trados TagEditor (i.e. with no segments for them) before or after you process the files in memoQ, and use the "Add document" option to add the Trados pre-segmented TTX files to memoQ. This is the only way to make sure that what they get is what they want.

Some customers fear that our use of memoQ will cause them trouble in the long run with the files, but as long as you simply process TTX files with no segmentation done by memoQ and all segmentation done by Trados, they are perfectly safe, as proven in my office in two years of work with memoQ in all TTX and SDLXLIFF files. We haven't used TagEditor/Studio for actual translation for ages!

One important note about Trados colouring: There is also one thing to remember about memoQ and TTX files: memoQ does not create, understand, or protect the colouring you can create in Trados for 100% matches, fuzzy matches, etc. This colouring gets destroyed when you process the files in memoQ. If your customer wants that kind of colouring, you will be forced to do some rather picturesque steps to preserve the colouring in files processed in memoQ.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
Velká Británie
Local time: 16:59
Člen (2009)
nizozemština -> angličtina
+ ...
@Cedomir Feb 11, 2012

You might also want to take a look at Kevin Lossner's blog. He has a very thorough post on dealing with segmented Trados files @ http://www.translationtribulations.com/2011/12/presegmented-classic-trados-files.html

Michael

[Edited at 2012-02-11 14:54 GMT]

Cedomir Pusica
Srbsko
Člen (2009)
angličtina -> srbština
+ ...
AUTOR TÉMATU
Thank you both! Feb 11, 2012

Thank you both Thomas and Michael!

I find your suggestions very useful indeed.

Cheers!

Matouš Vrba (X)
Matouš Vrba (X)  Identity Verified
angličtina -> čeština
+ ...
Big ups Mar 19, 2013

Thank you so much, you totally saved me
Thank god I kept my old laptop with a working copy of trados 7..

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

trados 7 .ttx to memoQ and back

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »