Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 18:08
Spanish
+ ...
Jul 22, 2021

Hello everyone.

I just deleted 120GB of log files from this folder: AppData\Roaming\MemoQ\Log

I would like to know if there's a way to stop MemoQ from taking up this much space. I do have a lot of server-based proyects with many files each, and I also have to sync with the server a lot, but 120GB seems excessive.

Is there a setting that I can set to clean the log files automatically or set up a limit? The support page is terrible so I can't find anything he
... See more
Hello everyone.

I just deleted 120GB of log files from this folder: AppData\Roaming\MemoQ\Log

I would like to know if there's a way to stop MemoQ from taking up this much space. I do have a lot of server-based proyects with many files each, and I also have to sync with the server a lot, but 120GB seems excessive.

Is there a setting that I can set to clean the log files automatically or set up a limit? The support page is terrible so I can't find anything helpful.

I would appreciate your help.

Thanks.

Clau
Collapse

Claudio Rondeico
121monkey

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Help us understand Jul 22, 2021

What period of time and what volume of work are we talking about? Several weeks and a couple grand since updating?

$10 grand?

Or are we talking about a whole portfolio of work going back many years and enough money to buy a luxury house?

Claudia Alvis
Peru
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
One month Jul 22, 2021

Thank you for replying.

99% of the files were one-month old (the date I started working on this one large server-based project.)

I figure that MemoQ is logging all the synchronizations with the server but over 100gb is too much. Each one of the files were about 5mb each.

[Editado a las 2021-07-22 21:16 GMT]

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:08
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
mine's around 10GB Jul 22, 2021

Just checked, and my Log folder (@ C:\Users\mbeijer\AppData\Roaming\MemoQ\Log) is around 10GB.

Most of it seems to look like this:

[…] at MemoQ.Translation.SpellingGrammar.SpellingGrammarCache.workerThread()
2021.07.14 22:11:43.2293567 memoQ (Error) () Error in spell checker working thread
System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: source
at System.Linq.Enumerable.Select[TSource,TResult](IEnumerable`1
... See more
Just checked, and my Log folder (@ C:\Users\mbeijer\AppData\Roaming\MemoQ\Log) is around 10GB.

Most of it seems to look like this:

[…] at MemoQ.Translation.SpellingGrammar.SpellingGrammarCache.workerThread()
2021.07.14 22:11:43.2293567 memoQ (Error) () Error in spell checker working thread
at System.Linq.Enumerable.Select[TSource,TResult](IEnumerable`1 source, Func`2 selector)
at MemoQ.Translation.SpellingGrammar.SpellingGrammarCache.doGrammarCheckOfItem(GrammarItem grammarItem)
at MemoQ.Translation.SpellingGrammar.SpellingGrammarCache.getGrammarResult(GrammarItem grammarItem)
at MemoQ.Translation.SpellingGrammar.SpellingGrammarCache.doChecking()
at MemoQ.Translation.SpellingGrammar.SpellingGrammarCache.workerThread()
at System.Linq.Enumerable.Select[TSource,TResult](IEnumerable`1 source, Func`2 selector)
at MemoQ.Translation.SpellingGrammar.SpellingGrammarCache.doGrammarCheckOfItem(GrammarItem grammarItem)
at MemoQ.Translation.SpellingGrammar.SpellingGrammarCache.getGrammarResult(GrammarItem grammarItem)
[…]
Collapse

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Hmm Jul 23, 2021

My MemoQ spellcheck doesn't work, so my entire SSD has only 78 GB used.

That includes windows (25.8 GB), all software, etc.

My MemoQ folder weighs 556 megabytes, although I don't know where it keeps its files. MemoQ's ProgramData folder is 16.9 megabytes.

PS i've only had this laptop for about a month though. MemoQ currently shows 47 projects and 94k words in its main screen list.

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Oh! Found it Jul 23, 2021

C:\Users\me\AppData\Roaming\MemoQ\

792 kilobytes (=nothing, the size of two novels in plaintext)

No spellcheck, no problem

Kieran Sheehan
Kieran Sheehan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:08
Member (2008)
German to English
I too was wondering why my hard disk was so full Jul 24, 2021

And lo und behold, there were more than 100GB of log files in the folder you described.
Thanks for the tip!

Claudio Rondeico
Claudio Rondeico  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:08
English to Portuguese
+ ...
100GB of log files here Oct 13, 2021

I have just deleted 100GB worth of log files here. Thanks for flagging this issue.

Claudia Alvis
Peru
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update Oct 13, 2021

Claudio Rondeico wrote:

I have just deleted 100GB worth of log files here. Thanks for flagging this issue.

Hello Claudio. The problem went away after receiving an update. You could also try disabling the spell checker since it seemed to have been related to the issue.

Have you tried contacting MemoQ?

[Editado a las 2021-10-13 04:50 GMT]

KONSTANTIN

Nikolay Novitskiy
Nikolay Novitskiy  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 04:08
Member (2018)
English to Russian
MemoQ logs Feb 20, 2023

Deleted 180 GB worth of logs And it's the third time I'm doing it!

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
I recommend creating an Idea on the memoQ Users' Ideas Portal Feb 20, 2023

If someone has a moment to spare, I recommend creating an Idea on the memoQ Users' Ideas Portal @ https://ideas.memoq.com/

They've actually implemented quite a few of our recent suggestions and monitor it actively.

Tomasz Sienicki

Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov  Identity Verified
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
Use SpaceSniffer to find out what's eating up your disk space Feb 20, 2023

There is a handy utility called SpaceSniffer that shows in a very convenient graphical form what's eating up your disk space. Well, actually, it shows the locations (folders) but you can usually guess the culprit from that information.

Krzysztof Wierzbicki

Krzysztof Wierzbicki
Krzysztof Wierzbicki  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 01:08
Polish to English
+ ...
or go low-tech with command line Feb 23, 2023

I'm using https://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free - seems more actively maintained, but installing another app when you're trying to save space is a waste. A simple (but a bit technical) way is to periodically run a command/script: https://woshub.com/powershell-get-folder-sizes/

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
WinDirStat Feb 23, 2023

My favourite is: https://windirstat.net/

FranckMaurouard
FranckMaurouard  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
400 GB of Log files on my side May 2, 2023

Claudia Alvis wrote:

Thank you for replying.

99% of the files were one-month old (the date I started working on this one large server-based project.)

I figure that MemoQ is logging all the synchronizations with the server but over 100gb is too much. Each one of the files were about 5mb each.

Thanks a lot for your post Claudia. I deleted more than 400 GB of files.
I was starting to go crazy not knowing why I had so little space on my Hard Drive, and I found your post after discovering tens of thousands of Log files.

I unchecked "Check spelling as you type" in the MemoQ options. I hope it does the trick.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ 9.8 created 120GB of log files

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »