Thread poster: Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 22:42
English to Italian
Aug 23, 2021

Hi everyone,

I tried searching the forum before posting, but didn't find what I was looking for...

So, basically, I have an Excel doc, with several columns, one of which is the source text, others are string ids, etc. and one is for the translation.

I normally handle this with the "Multilingual delimited text filter", so that I only import the column(s) I need for translation, other stuff as "comments", if needed, and the translation ends up directly in the
... See more
Hi everyone,

I tried searching the forum before posting, but didn't find what I was looking for...

So, basically, I have an Excel doc, with several columns, one of which is the source text, others are string ids, etc. and one is for the translation.

I normally handle this with the "Multilingual delimited text filter", so that I only import the column(s) I need for translation, other stuff as "comments", if needed, and the translation ends up directly in the column I want.

This time, however, the source text includes parts that should not be translated, which are marked in red. After importing this, as mentioned above, I obviously get ALL the text, with lots of inline tags for the color formatting, which, in this specific case, are marked as "rpr id='0'" for the text in red and "rpr id='1'" for the text in black.

My question is: is there a way to "tag" (using regex tagger or some other filter) the entire sections of text in red within each cell, leaving only those in black as translatable?

Thanks in advance,
Mirko
Collapse

Eugene Gulak
Eugene Gulak  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 23:42
Member (2007)
English to Russian
+ ...
Workaround Aug 24, 2021

If I got you right, the source text in Excel looks something like this:

excel 1

And you end up in memoQ with something like that:

mq 1

It might be not the most elegant solution, but if the below screenshot is OK with you, you could use the following workaround:

mq final

1. Copy the target column to Word.

2. Add to the beginning and the end of the red text some unique symbol. In this here example, < and >.

For this you'll have to perform the Search-Replace action.
Search for the red text and replace it with the same, but with the symbols < and > at the beginning and the end:

word 1

Sorry for the Russian interface, I hope you'll find the relevant options

3. Replace all.

You'll get something like this:

word 2

There must be too many images, and ProZ doesn't allow me to insert one more, so I'll try to finish it in the following post.

Eugene Gulak
Ukraine
Member (2007)
English to Russian
+ ...
Workaround continued Aug 24, 2021

4. Copy the result back to Excel:

excel 2

5. Now import the file into memoQ using Multilingual delimited text filter and add the Cascading Regex filter:

mq3

Don't forget to adjust your main delimited filter:

mq4

6. And here you go:

mq final

Hope this helps

Eugene Gulak
Ukraine
Member (2007)
English to Russian
+ ...
Workaround concluded Aug 24, 2021

You can even go further and delete the red formatting from the target text:

excel 4

And you'll get a good-looking memoQ output:

mq_fin

Pretty nice, isn't it?

And of course, you can do the same with the source text, then copy it to the target column, so that both columns look neat.

[Редактировалось 2021-08-24 22:20 GMT]

[Редактировалось 2021-08-24 22:28 GMT]

[Редактировалось 2021-08-25 16:27 GMT]

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 22:42
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot! Aug 28, 2021

Hey Eugene, yes, you got it right

Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer and for writing such an elaborate and complete step-by-step guide. Much appreciated!

BTW, how would I go about removing the less and greater than characters in Word after translation?

Thanks again!

At any rate, I really hoped memoQ would offer some way to do this natively, rather than having to go throu
... See more
Hey Eugene, yes, you got it right

Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer and for writing such an elaborate and complete step-by-step guide. Much appreciated!

BTW, how would I go about removing the less and greater than characters in Word after translation?

Thanks again!

At any rate, I really hoped memoQ would offer some way to do this natively, rather than having to go through all these manual steps, thing which would become impractical very fast in case of hundreds of strings and multiple files/sheets...
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using formatting for tagging

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »