Thread poster: Johan Venter
Johan Venter
Johan Venter  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 00:49
Dutch to English
+ ...
Sep 6, 2021

I imported a large Excel file (20K words) and about 8K of those are comments. By default the comments were not included when I imported the file in MemoQ, but then I reimported the file with the option to import the comments. This worked beautifully and I completed the translation.

Unfortunately the comments (which have been translated) are still shown in the source language in the translated file and I can't understand why. It would take a very long time to manually copy/paste thes
... See more
I imported a large Excel file (20K words) and about 8K of those are comments. By default the comments were not included when I imported the file in MemoQ, but then I reimported the file with the option to import the comments. This worked beautifully and I completed the translation.

Unfortunately the comments (which have been translated) are still shown in the source language in the translated file and I can't understand why. It would take a very long time to manually copy/paste these comments to the exported file.

Has anyone ever encountered this issue, is there something I'm doing wrong?
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 01:49
English to Russian
Options Sep 6, 2021

Go to Options > Miscellaneous > Import/Export tab > Export all types of comments.
This option is not checked by default.

expressisverbis

Johan Venter
Czech Republic
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your suggestion Sep 6, 2021

Thank you for your suggestion. I selected 'Export all types of comments' as you described, but unfortunately this did not help.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Which comments do you mean? Sep 6, 2021

Can you share a screenshot or describe how did you enable "the option to import the comments"?
I seem to misunderstand you. The above-mentioned "Export all types of comments" setting relates to memoQ comments.

Johan Venter
Czech Republic
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Excel comments, not MemoQ comments Sep 6, 2021

My apologies if I did not express this clearly enough: The source file is an Excel file (tender document) and many of the cells have comments that were added by the client (their own internal comments on the tender requirements). The client requires these comments to also be translated, and initially they were not imported by MemoQ. I managed to import the comments as follows:

Import with options > Change filter and configuration > [Comments and context options tab] > Import comment
... See more
My apologies if I did not express this clearly enough: The source file is an Excel file (tender document) and many of the cells have comments that were added by the client (their own internal comments on the tender requirements). The client requires these comments to also be translated, and initially they were not imported by MemoQ. I managed to import the comments as follows:

Import with options > Change filter and configuration > [Comments and context options tab] > Import comments

That imported the comments with the translation and I could translate the comments as requested by the client. However, when I export the file, the comments are shown in the exported file in the source language, while the rest of the file is translated.

[Edited at 2021-09-06 14:45 GMT]
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Ah, ok. I see now Sep 6, 2021

When you check the "Import comments" box, you also need to indicate their relative position.
For example, you have source in column A, and column B contains comments. With this scenario, you should also put C: 1 and R: 0. It means that a comment cell for a source cell is 1 cell away from the source cell in the same row. Positive value is for the right direction, negative is for the left direction. By default it is -1, which makes memoQ believe that comments are in the next column to the l
... See more
When you check the "Import comments" box, you also need to indicate their relative position.
For example, you have source in column A, and column B contains comments. With this scenario, you should also put C: 1 and R: 0. It means that a comment cell for a source cell is 1 cell away from the source cell in the same row. Positive value is for the right direction, negative is for the left direction. By default it is -1, which makes memoQ believe that comments are in the next column to the left from the source column.
2021-09-06_180805

[Edited at 2021-09-06 15:14 GMT]
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 23:49
Danish to English
+ ...
Comments Sep 6, 2021

I think Johan refers to comments added in Excel under Review > New comment. These comments do not appear in cells. They can be imported into memoQ as memoQ segments, but changes to them do not appear to be exported.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Nope Sep 6, 2021

Thomas T. Frost wrote:
I think Johan refers to comments added in Excel under Review > New comment. These comments do not appear in cells. They can be imported into memoQ as memoQ segments, but changes to them do not appear to be exported.
Those comments are called "cell comments" in memoQ and they require a different checkbox for import ("Import cell comments"). Cell comments are exported without any additional options or checkboxes. Unlike regular text comments that look same as source.
2021-09-06_182617

[Edited at 2021-09-06 15:30 GMT]

Johan Venter
Czech Republic
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thomas is correct Sep 6, 2021

Thomas is correct, this is exactly what I'm talking about. If MemoQ is able to import the comments and allow me to translate them, why are they not exported?

I tried the settings as Stepan explained, but unfortunately it did not work either. The comments are only imported if I select the option "Import cell contents". The first "import comments" option does not seem to make any difference with this file.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Import comments or Import cell comments Sep 6, 2021

Johan Venter wrote:
Import with options > Change filter and configuration > [Comments and context options tab] > Import comments
vs
Johan Venter wrote:
I select the option "Import cell contents"
So... what exactly are you talking about?
Do you check the correct box? If yes, which box do you check?

Johan Venter
Czech Republic
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Import cell contents Sep 6, 2021

Originally I selected 'Import cell contents', after which I did the translation. This worked as expected, except that the translated comments were not exported - which is the problem.

I reimported the document after your suggestion with 'Import comments' and the settings as you suggested as a possible solution, but this also did not work, unfortunately. It seems to me that I have to take this up with MemoQ directly. Thank you for your efforts.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Import cell comments Sep 6, 2021

Johan Venter wrote:
I reimported the document after your suggestion with "Import comments" and the settings as you suggested
My suggestion was about a different type of comments. Obviously it couldn't help. You did not mention what type of comments you were talking about. Also you mentioned this path: Import with options > Change filter and configuration > [Comments and context options tab] > Import comments. Based on this input, I supposed you were talking about regular text marked as "Comments" in column B.
However, if you actually used the "Import cell ̶c̶o̶n̶t̶e̶n̶t̶s̶ comments" option, those cell comments should be exported without any additional settings, just along with the main text translation. It works for me this way.

[Edited at 2021-09-06 16:03 GMT]

Johan Venter
Czech Republic
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Sep 6, 2021

if you used the "Import cell ̶c̶o̶n̶t̶e̶n̶t̶s̶ comments" option, those cell comments should be exported without any additional settings, just along with the main text translation. It works for me this way.

I also see no reason why the comments are imported for translation, but not exported. I'll take this up with MemoQ.

Thank you for the effort and my apologies for not being clear enough.

Have a nice day.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ - Exporting an Excel file with translated comments

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »