Does MemoQ Auto-Propagation glitch after a certain word/file/segment count?
Thread poster: Adieu
Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Sep 11, 2021

I'm working on this repetitive monstrosity of 3500 segments across 22k words and 27 files. Of course, I "stitched" the dang thing, but somehow auto-propagation only seems to be about 80% effective, and I'm regularly having to re-confirm reps of stuff I already did.

These are fully identical reps...no tags, no extra bold/italics or format variations. Some of them even intermix if I switch it to "sort by frequency" (so, for example, it'll be 30 segments of "Bob", I confirm the top "Bo
... See more
I'm working on this repetitive monstrosity of 3500 segments across 22k words and 27 files. Of course, I "stitched" the dang thing, but somehow auto-propagation only seems to be about 80% effective, and I'm regularly having to re-confirm reps of stuff I already did.

These are fully identical reps...no tags, no extra bold/italics or format variations. Some of them even intermix if I switch it to "sort by frequency" (so, for example, it'll be 30 segments of "Bob", I confirm the top "Bob", and then only 20 of the "Bobs" turn green, interspersed with random instances of blue 100% match unconfirmed "Bob"s)

What gives? Freshly updated MemoQ, high spec 2021 model i7 with plenty of RAM and fast SSD.
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 23:30
English to Russian
Screenshot Sep 11, 2021

To be more specific, can you share a screenshot of your problem reps as filtered simultaneously by text (e.g. "Bob") and the 'Repetitions' status? (To generate a list of segments containing exactly the same text, both confirmed and unconfirmed.)2021-09-11_231636

[Edited at 2021-09-11 22:05 GMT]

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Lazy Sep 11, 2021

Screenshot attachment here is a genuine pain.

But these are genuine identical reps that rank at the very top of the "sort by frequency" list.

Some of them are literally "Please email:", "Debra", and said Debra's email address. Repeated ad nauseam.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
I see now. I expected that. Sep 11, 2021

If a 20-second action of adding a screenshot is much more of a genuine pain to you than the allegedly nonfunctional auto-propagation feature, it doesn't bother you too much. Just live with it.

[Edited at 2021-09-11 22:24 GMT]

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Clarification Sep 12, 2021

I actually have no idea how to do it.

No obvious button = probably a pain.

And there's also the whole "I already completed and delivered that project, no un-confirmed segments to photograph" thing

Happy?

[Edited at 2021-09-12 04:02 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
The boy who cried wolf Sep 12, 2021

Adieu wrote:
no un-confirmed segments to photograph"
Hardly there were some.

Katherine Mérignac
Katherine Mérignac  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:30
Member (2004)
Experienced the same Sep 13, 2021

For information, this has happened to me too, several times, with server projects and with Wordfast txlf files. I've just put up with it, put it down to being 'one of those things', but I did wonder why...

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
That is why a screenshot is required Sep 13, 2021

Katherine Mérignac wrote:
Experienced the same... with server projects and with Wordfast txlf files.
There could be many different circumstances that caused the issue. The original post reads there were 100% matches, but 100% matches are not repetitions. When a 100% match is pre-populated (by pretranslation on your client’s side for example), it has nothing to do with repetitions. Now you mention server and a non-native format. All those details are important if you really want to sort out the issue. But my impression is that providing those details is a greater problem for the TS than the issue itself. If so, ok, then just give up and live with it.

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Actually, not quite Sep 13, 2021

The whole issue was that out of, say, 30 sequential instances of "Bob" (when sorted by frequency), confirming top "Bob" would confirm most "Bob" instances...BUT leave some as unconfimed 100% matches

So, before:
Bob 100%
Bob 100%
Bob 100%
Bob 100%
Bob 100%

After:
Bob confirmed
Bob confirmed
Bob 100%
Bob confirmed
Bob 100%

[Edited at 2021-09-13 19:27 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Copy/paste Sep 13, 2021

Can you copy and paste any segment with 100% and any segment with Confirmed status?
Not re-type, not copy one instance and paste twice here, but exactly copy and paste two segments (100% and Confirmed)? Specifically from your real file in question.

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Too late I completed and delivered that thing Sep 13, 2021

But I think I see where you're going with this

Didn't look like a case of OCR issues where it misreads some letters as Latin instead of Cyrillic or vice versa

Stepan Konev wrote:

Can you copy and paste any segment with 100% and any segment with Confirmed status?
Not re-type, not copy one instance and paste twice here, but exactly copy and paste two segments (100% and Confirmed)? Specifically from your real file in question.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Check for non-printable characters Sep 14, 2021

Ok, I gi... See more
Ok, I give up then.

Next time copy a segment and paste it into a docx file with non-printable characters on. Type anywhere in docx 200b and press Alt+X to convert it into a symbol. Check if you selection contains that symbol.

[Edited at 2021-09-14 00:16 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does MemoQ Auto-Propagation glitch after a certain word/file/segment count?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »