Exporting a termbase to Ms Excel
Thread poster: Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Aug 15, 2023

I only have memoQ 2015, which doesn't offer export of termbases to Ms Excel.

I have this question: When exporting a termbase to Ms Excel, can you:

• Choose the order of the columns?
  • Choose which columns are exported?

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:27
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes! Aug 15, 2023

Hans Lenting wrote:
  • Choose the order of the columns?
  • Choose which columns are exported?

• Yes, and yes! (I am talking about the recent versions; I currently use 10.2).

What you get is a column for each of the equivalents you have for the same entry in each language, so if you have more than one equivalent in a language, you end up with more than one column. If you have prohibited items, they are also exported, painted in red. You can also export the attributes of each term (matching, grammar, prohibited...), which export to a separate column.

We use this a lot whenever I need an export of our termbases. With some hoisekeeping, you can create a presentable glossary in minutes. If this is important for you, I definitely recommend to invest in a current license.

Hans Lenting

Hans Lenting
    Hans Lenting
    Netherlands
    Member (2006)
    German to Dutch
    TOPIC STARTER
    Thank you Aug 15, 2023

Thank you Tomás, for your detailled reply!

(I'm trying to help someone to convert a memoQ termbase to a CafeTran Espresso glossary; I don't use memoQ myself.)

Stepan Konev
    Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
    Russian Federation
    Local time: 18:27
    English to Russian
    Export to CSV , then convert to Excel Aug 15, 2023

memoQ 2015 only can export terminology into a CSV file. When exporting, you have to uncheck all except the 'Term text (with wildcards)' box.

Then you can convert CSV into an Excel file following the steps in this video: <
    ... See more
    memoQ 2015 only can export terminology into a CSV file. When exporting, you have to uncheck all except the 'Term text (with wildcards)' box.

Then you can convert CSV into an Excel file following the steps in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw1DSuqr3ew

*If the termbase contains terms in different language variants like English, English UK or English US, then you may have three different columns that you would need to combine somehow into one.

[Edited at 2023-08-15 19:08 GMT]
    Collapse

Hans Lenting

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Exporting a termbase to Ms Excel

Protemos translation business management system
    Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
    Trados Business Manager Lite
    Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »