Can I have several columns from a .xlsx file as Import as other field Note when I create a termbase?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 00:17
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Sep 16, 2023

Can I have several columns from a .xlsx file as Import as other field Note when I create a termbase?

I couldn't get it to work. The drop-down list item Note seems to only be possible to use for one column in the Excel file for import into the termbase. The only option I can think of is to merge the Excel columns, but then I somehow would need to handle diacritics to separate the words in each column.

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 23:17
Danish to English
+ ...
Only one Note Sep 16, 2023

The Note field is common for all languages, but you could import comments into a Definition field per language.

Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 00:17
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Norwegian bokmål and Norwegian nynorsk Sep 17, 2023

The termbase in question is from Norwegian to Swedish and it contains terms in both the dialectal variants of Norwegian, Norwegian bokmål and Norwegian nynorsk. The abbreviation "nno" means "nynorsk" and the abbreviation "nob" means "bokmål". In addition, there is a field for the source where the term has been retrieved from.

Then I could use the Definition field for "nno" and "nob", and the Note field for the source where the term has been retrieved from. The issue is that in on
... See more
The termbase in question is from Norwegian to Swedish and it contains terms in both the dialectal variants of Norwegian, Norwegian bokmål and Norwegian nynorsk. The abbreviation "nno" means "nynorsk" and the abbreviation "nob" means "bokmål". In addition, there is a field for the source where the term has been retrieved from.

Then I could use the Definition field for "nno" and "nob", and the Note field for the source where the term has been retrieved from. The issue is that in one term file, there are two columns for the dialectal variants, and both these columns can contain both "nno" and "nob". I think I can't use the Definition field for both those Excel columns, can I?
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 23:17
Danish to English
+ ...
Definition per language Sep 17, 2023

You have a Definition and a Usage field per language and sublanguage, so you can just import the NNO comments into the Definition field for NNO, the source comments into the source language Definition field, etc.

The Excel import dialogue shows you which fields you have and which are tied to a language.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »