Terry Gilman
Terry Gilman  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:32
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
If you are a worrier... Mar 28, 2008

It might mean you are a good planner, but I wonder at the notion of parenting at all.

That said, my best friend who lives north of Paris and is successfully raising her kids bilingually (AmE and French) had these comments

I would recommend sending the children to the public école maternelle to develop and maintain connection with the local community, if the mother is settling permanently.  From personal experience I can say that the mother as the sole exposure to the
... See more
It might mean you are a good planner, but I wonder at the notion of parenting at all.

That said, my best friend who lives north of Paris and is successfully raising her kids bilingually (AmE and French) had these comments

I would recommend sending the children to the public école maternelle to develop and maintain connection with the local community, if the mother is settling permanently.  From personal experience I can say that the mother as the sole exposure to the language is sufficient provided she only speaks her native tongue to the children.  That is not as easy as it might at first appear. 

Most of the data I could find easily concern regular school, not pre-school, but perhaps she could get suggestions from them. 

DEUTSCHE SCHULE PARIS / ECOLE ALLEMANDE DE PARIS www.deutscheschuleparis.com
Saint Cloud, main language German, other languages French, English, Spanish, Latin

I can confirm that she faithfully speaks AmE no matter what the kids say, and it doesn't bother them that she speaks French with her husband/their father.

All the best
Terry
Collapse

Alanna
Alanna
France
Local time: 14:32
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks for the advice Mar 28, 2008

Many thanks to all for your advice and links and other helpful information!

I've read through a couple of other threads and things already look less threatening. Guess what's left for me to do now is go ahead and have that baby!

Alanna

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Planning a bilingual family in Paris

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »