English Italian bilingual children in Hampshire, UK
Thread poster: mikic
Aug 4, 2009

Hello,
I am a father of two lovely girls (5 and 3 years old) both bilingual in English and Italian. My wife is British so we use the "one person, one language" approach and it seems to be working well... both girls always speak to me in Italian and to my wife in English.

I am trying to find families in the same situation as me and in particular I am trying to find families in the Hampshire (UK) area with children of a similar age (well, 0 to 12 really!) in order to get the kid
... See more
Hello,
I am a father of two lovely girls (5 and 3 years old) both bilingual in English and Italian. My wife is British so we use the "one person, one language" approach and it seems to be working well... both girls always speak to me in Italian and to my wife in English.

I am trying to find families in the same situation as me and in particular I am trying to find families in the Hampshire (UK) area with children of a similar age (well, 0 to 12 really!) in order to get the kids to play together (hopefully in both languages!).

Is anyone in this forum in the same situation as me? I would love to learn their experiences...

Can anyone suggest a good way to find people in the area? I have considered starting a playgroup for Italian speaking children in Hampshire, any suggestion on the best way to do so?

Thanks
Michele
Collapse

Sabine Braun
Sabine Braun  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:22
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
phone number in the Bournemouth/Ringwood area Aug 14, 2009

Hi Michele,
I just found an advert posted by the Anglo-Italian Society in a Dorset newspaper. It is not exactly what you were looking for, but perhaps they have got some contacts/tips for you.

Their phone number is 01202/763553 or 01425/273627.

Good luck with your endeavours!
Sabine

Mother of 2 anglo-italian children Nov 23, 2009

Hello Michele,

I have two adorable children who are 4 (girl) and 2 (boy), mu husband in English and we live in west sussex. As I have had very little contact with other italians I speak English at home and my children first language is English. I do at times make a special effort to speak to them in Italian and they can understand and say few words but that's all. I would be very keen for them to paly with other children of similar age so that they could "practice" both languages.
... See more
Hello Michele,

I have two adorable children who are 4 (girl) and 2 (boy), mu husband in English and we live in west sussex. As I have had very little contact with other italians I speak English at home and my children first language is English. I do at times make a special effort to speak to them in Italian and they can understand and say few words but that's all. I would be very keen for them to paly with other children of similar age so that they could "practice" both languages. I have often thought about an Italian toddler club abd have looked for one but with no luck.

Maybe we could put some ideasa together.

Silvia
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

English Italian bilingual children in Hampshire, UK

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »