Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >
What language do you speak to your partner?
Thread poster: RafaLee
Michael Roberts
Michael Roberts  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:14
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
All of'em Jul 3, 2004

I often refer to our home language as a Hungarian/German/English creole. Although since I'm the American and we're in the US, I've been getting awfully lazy lately. Occasionally we'll have a language purity day and make an attempt to stick to one.

My wife and I had only German in common when we married, so that carried us through many years -- we didn't want to forget German even after we left Germany, of course. But since my daughter prefers English now that she's in school, and
... See more
I often refer to our home language as a Hungarian/German/English creole. Although since I'm the American and we're in the US, I've been getting awfully lazy lately. Occasionally we'll have a language purity day and make an attempt to stick to one.

My wife and I had only German in common when we married, so that carried us through many years -- we didn't want to forget German even after we left Germany, of course. But since my daughter prefers English now that she's in school, and my wife did her doctorate here and thus is pretty much stuck in English when talking about physics, and since we talk politics a lot and it's difficult to properly polemecize in a foreign language -- well, due to all that, English has been getting too much exposure around here lately.

But still the answer appears to be "all of'em."
Collapse

Kenza
Kenza
Local time: 13:14
Swedish to French
+ ...
mostly english Jul 29, 2004

[quote]RafaLee wrote:

Dear all,

Do your partner and you speak your own language to each other ?

-----------------

We speak english at home because we met each other in London ; 8 years after we still use english and are "unable" to switch to something else (yet we have learnt each others language!). It feels weird to speak swedish to him, and I think he feels the same way about speaking french to me. But we use all three languages at home (french swedish and english).

iwa567
iwa567
Spanish to Bulgarian
We try to speak the Bulgarian language Sep 28, 2004

My boyfriend is Romanian, but as we live in Bulgaria, he is trying to speak Bulgarian. He seems to be closer to me when he says something in my language. (Our common language is English)
He's even found one site with romantic phrases, www.easybulgarian.com and I was pleasantly surprised to hear such sweet words from him!!

T Crotogino
T Crotogino
French to English
+ ...
All of them, most of the time... Oct 4, 2004

Our household brings together three languages and three generations.

The cast breaks down like this: my partner's mother tongue is Spanish and he gets by very well in French, but he can onlly understand some English and speaks none; my mother tongue is English, but I also speak English, French, and German; my mother, who shares a duplex with us, speaks English, gets by in French and German; our son, who's almost 3, understands and speaks (in order of fluency) English, French, and S
... See more
Our household brings together three languages and three generations.

The cast breaks down like this: my partner's mother tongue is Spanish and he gets by very well in French, but he can onlly understand some English and speaks none; my mother tongue is English, but I also speak English, French, and German; my mother, who shares a duplex with us, speaks English, gets by in French and German; our son, who's almost 3, understands and speaks (in order of fluency) English, French, and Spanish.

My partner and I speak Spanish together (we fingured that at least one of us should get to speak their native tongue at home!); I speak English with my mother; he speaks French with my mother; we all speak our native tongues with our son, who tends to respond in whatever language he's hearing.

When my father comes by, German gets thrown into the mix as well. I sometimes think I live in the Tower of Babel, except that we all manage to understand one another...
Collapse

Jeff Allen
Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
mother tongue ? Oct 10, 2004

RafaLee wrote:
Do your partner and you speak your own language to each other ?

I believed in the theoretical concept of mother tongue for many years (even in teaching applied linguistics courses on the topic).
English is my "so-called" mother tongue. I spoke it monolingually for 25 or so years at home in my home country (yet I did speak other languages because I was a foreign language major).
Now I have been living outside of an English-speaking environment for about 15 or so years. All of my home vocabulary has been in French during that period. All of my house-renovation vocabulary has been learned in French. Everything is done in French. My wife and I even speak with native English speakers (also living in French) in French. However, my daytime job in the software development field has been primarily written English for many years, spoken English over the phone, and spoken French with colleagues at the French office.

In this case, language choice and use depends on the context, and language erosion of my "mother tongue" has occurred. This was clearly evident when my siblings (English monolinguals) came to visit us, and I couldn't remember a lot of household vocabulary in English, but the French words came out easily. So I ended up translating the French words into English.

Just like someone else mentioned in a posting in this thread, having kids changed the whole scenario. For the past year I have been speaking English to our son, but continue to speak French to my wife. So my English vocabulary is coming back because I have to force myself to remember the words so that he can learn them too.

Sometimes I will now speak to my wife in English when in the presence of our son, just because we want him to get as much exposure to English as possible.

Based on this experience, I have started to make a distinction between the following:
* mother tongue (and father tongue if parents speak different languages)
* school language (if you grew up in a country/ies learning a language different from the one spoken at home; in some cases, I have friends from African countries who master English or French better than the national languages spoken by their parents at home)
* working language (this is the case of many people who master English very, very well because of their professional life, but who have never spoken it at home)

I also believe that there are levels of bilingual. And there are levels of being bicultural. For example, I am not "100% bicultural" because I don't always get some jokes that my French friends say when they make reference to Asterix and Tintin comic books. I didn't grow up with those books. But that will certainly change over the years as I end up learning them by reading them to my kids.

Jeff

Jeff Allen

[Edited at 2004-10-12 12:43]

[Edited at 2004-12-29 13:03]

Tony Cella

Conor McAuley
Conor McAuley  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Farsi / French / English Nov 4, 2004

I spoke English to an ex-girlfriend, but arguments were in French (her first language)!

My current girlfriend speaks Farsi to her older relations, French (and more and more English) to me, and French to her son. We speak English to each other when we don't want friends to understand (I think this is a very common occurence, comments please?).

I know it's quite rude to exclude people in this way, but anyways...

I certainly agree with the comments above abou
... See more
I spoke English to an ex-girlfriend, but arguments were in French (her first language)!

My current girlfriend speaks Farsi to her older relations, French (and more and more English) to me, and French to her son. We speak English to each other when we don't want friends to understand (I think this is a very common occurence, comments please?).

I certainly agree with the comments above about language erosion, you need to make an effort in bilingual settings to maintain your first language. Certainly between French and "Anglo-Saxon" culture very few things are utterly untranslatable, but laziness creeps in.
Collapse

sarasene
sarasene
English to Italian
what language do you speak to your partner? Nov 6, 2004

I am Italian and my husband is Congolese, but we live in Belgium (the French-speaking area); when we met we started off speaking in French, and though we have picked up some of each other's language by now (his own is Lingala) we still stick to French!

Lindsay Sabadosa (X)
Lindsay Sabadosa (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:14
Italian to English
+ ...
Italian, Italian, and more Italian Nov 15, 2004

When my boyfriend and I met what seems like forever ago we spoke solely in French - much more romantic, we had both studied it extensively and it was just fun to not be understood by many those first crazy months of a relationship. Besides, it gave us a more international flair: my family is Italian but I grew up in the States speaking both Italian and English; his family is from Piemonte and he grew up speaking dialect and Italian... See more
When my boyfriend and I met what seems like forever ago we spoke solely in French - much more romantic, we had both studied it extensively and it was just fun to not be understood by many those first crazy months of a relationship. Besides, it gave us a more international flair: my family is Italian but I grew up in the States speaking both Italian and English; his family is from Piemonte and he grew up speaking dialect and Italian but studying Russian. What a mix! Alas, when we settled down into official "coupledom" Italian became dominant and has remained so although his parents (and grandparents) are still pushing for a complete switch into Piemontese and continually giving me pop quizzes!Collapse

Jeff Allen
Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
language speed and idioms for reducing understanding Nov 21, 2004

Conor McAuley wrote:

After teaching English for several years to various groups in France (lycee students, univ students, management in various fields, secretaries, etc), I learned what they didn't know and taught them ways how to understand it.
Now that helps when I want to say something to my wife (here in France) that others won't understand. She and I switch to "fastly spoken" American English with lots of American idioms (which she picked up for 5 years while working in US, and also for the past 3 years while working with Americans in France), when we want to talk in private in the midst of other people around us.
In our context it does not seem to be rude because I always speak to our son in English wherever we are (even among all monolingual French people), so other people know that we do also use English at home.
We use this communication method seldomly. Yet it comes in handy when needed.

creatza
creatza
English
Romanian lovely words Apr 5, 2005

He's even found one site with romantic phrases, www.easybulgarian.com and I was pleasantly surprised to hear such sweet words from him!!
[/quote]

Hahaha! My boyfriend Dave is from Ontario but he comes regularly to Romania. Last time he surprised me by telling me how much he loves and misses me in Romanian. I was stunned because he's pronounciation was very good. But I found his litt
... See more
[/quote]

Hahaha! My boyfriend Dave is from Ontario but he comes regularly to Romania. Last time he surprised me by telling me how much he loves and misses me in Romanian. I was stunned because he's pronounciation was very good. But I found his little secret. He learned the stuff on the www.easyromanian.com site. They seem to be doing a good job. I owe them one Hopefully now he got confident enough and will be speaking Romanian fluently.

creatza
Collapse

Nick Somers (X)
Nick Somers (X)
German to English
+ ...
Each to his own Apr 8, 2005

We both speak our native languages: I speak English, my wife replies in French, the kids speak whatever language they're addressed in (+ German when the need arises). We've been doing it so long we hardly notice which language is being spoken and only realise when outsiders point it out.

We speak the other person's language (and German) when we have to - when we are in a monolingual environment, for example.

The kids are truly trilingual. You could say that we parents a
... See more
We both speak our native languages: I speak English, my wife replies in French, the kids speak whatever language they're addressed in (+ German when the need arises). We've been doing it so long we hardly notice which language is being spoken and only realise when outsiders point it out.

We speak the other person's language (and German) when we have to - when we are in a monolingual environment, for example.

The kids are truly trilingual. You could say that we parents are monolingual when talking but by now are bilingual when listening: what goes out when we don't speak our own language sometimes goes through a translation filter (and we make mistakes) but what comes in is unfiltered.

It seems the obvious way to us ...
Collapse

Ruta Peter
Ruta Peter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
German to Lithuanian
+ ...
German-Lithuanian Apr 11, 2005

Hello,
my wife Ruta (who´s the translator and has the account in ProZ) is an Lithuanian, I´m a German. She speaks German perfectly, because she learned this language in school since an age of 6 years and we live in Germany, so we commonly speak German. When I met her father first time I talk to him Russian, which I learned before in school (but long ago and I didn´t use it very much). After some minutes he answered "Let´s speak English". This was about 18 years ago, than I began to l
... See more
Hello,
my wife Ruta (who´s the translator and has the account in ProZ) is an Lithuanian, I´m a German. She speaks German perfectly, because she learned this language in school since an age of 6 years and we live in Germany, so we commonly speak German. When I met her father first time I talk to him Russian, which I learned before in school (but long ago and I didn´t use it very much). After some minutes he answered "Let´s speak English". This was about 18 years ago, than I began to learn Lithuanian. I don´t speak Lithgaunian enogh to work as a professional translator, but I cvan communicate with Lithuanian relations and friends.
My wife speaks Lithuanian with our children, they speak better than I, I speak Germnan with them. Living in Germany German became their main language. They are 13/14 years old, there was some time, when they didn´t want to speak Lithuanian, but they also love their grandparents and have to speak Lithaunian, if they are together with them.

Joachim
Collapse

dkalinic
dkalinic
Croatian to German
+ ...
In memoriam
English Oct 16, 2005

I met my Polish girlfried a couple of years ago. We speak English since then because this is the only language we both are fluent in. I'm trying to learn a bit of Polish, though.

Regards,
Davor

syracusa
syracusa
English to Romanian
+ ...
To each other? English! Sep 15, 2006

Me being Romanian, him being American (serenely monolingual) and us living in the US...guess what language do we speak to each other?

However, we use the OPOL approach with our 1 year old son.

HeatherV
HeatherV
Local time: 04:14
French to English
+ ...
Which language? All depends Sep 29, 2006

We're a Franco American couple and I don't think there's a gender thing with our usage but a location thing.

I'm American and have spoken French with my husband for 28 years, but also speak English. He spoke English perfectly well when I met him in America at first, but, has done advanced studies, taught it, and really is hard to pick out as a native French speaker at all. This tends to be rare amongst French speakers.

We also have Italian as our third language beca
... See more
We're a Franco American couple and I don't think there's a gender thing with our usage but a location thing.

I'm American and have spoken French with my husband for 28 years, but also speak English. He spoke English perfectly well when I met him in America at first, but, has done advanced studies, taught it, and really is hard to pick out as a native French speaker at all. This tends to be rare amongst French speakers.

We also have Italian as our third language because his family is of Italian origin, and he grew up in a family that spoke a dialect with the grandparents as well as going for long stays with family in Italy. This dialect has sounds that you don't hear in standard Italian and I often think that's why he adapted so well to English, Russian, Italian and German in school. He probably had the necessary phonemes at hand.

I never studied a language as a kid, had some Spanish influences around me in California, and then began studying French 'late' in life, but with music, have become a fluke apparently....an American with a slight Southern accent.

Here's what happens with us though...when we live in the States, we try to use more French, especially for the kids' sake. When we live in France (twelve years and two stays) we speak more English at home.
However, it is not easy to break this down, because you say some things easily in French and others in English.
In America, French can be your secret language...as the chances are very low of you running into French people in the supermarket when you want to crack a joke or something...though it's happened to us in Memphis Tennessee and Indiana.
In France however where we spent eight years until two years ago, using English, even rapidly and with American slang that few expats would get because they aren't used to hearing it, it's still risky business using English as your secret language.

As we have both taught each other's languages professionally, and I translate, it makes things a bit more complicated.

When I began using French with him, I would never have thought that at twenty-one, I'd have a chance of becoming fluent and using the language each day...and then, after about three years I was reasonably fluent.

There are a few problems inherent in learning from your partner with the pillow method however, you do not know how to switch gears as easily as you do in your own language.

I mean the gap between spoken and written French and spoken French amongst friends and in a work situation is so wide that, well, I think it is much harder to achieve fluency in French because of this problem than in English.
I was fortunate to have been able to learn French more like a native speaker, but then, to solidify my French by working and living there. I also read anything and everything and this has helped me become more fluent.

I've just spotted an argument thread, so I think that would be fun to see what others do.

Oh, we also speak Italian when we're in Italy, and our first child has gone on to study Italian in college as she'd studied it in Europe and moved in an international environment with many Italians.
Our second child is basically the one who uses the language of the country in which he is living, and begrudgingly uses his French when he has to. We also noticed while living near the Italian border, that in restaurants etc, he would order in perfect Italian...as if he'd spoken it all the time...
But he plays his cards close to his chest...
Now my husband tries to insist on us speaking French at the table and the boy being a teenager...refuses to talk at all!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

What language do you speak to your partner?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »