Thread poster: Jarnail Gill
Jarnail Gill
Jarnail Gill  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 02:01
English to Punjabi
+ ...
Jan 11, 2007

Hi all....this is really an off topic. What would happen if I marry a translator from other side of the globe?

Marcela Mestre
Marcela Mestre  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 17:31
English to Spanish
Elementary, dear Watson Jan 11, 2007

Either will have to move.

This has happened soooo many times.
Best.
mm

Jalapeno
Jalapeno
Local time: 22:31
English to German
... Jan 11, 2007

jelly_gill wrote:

What would happen if I marry a translator from other side of the globe?

Hopefully, the two of you would live happily ever after ...

Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
Congratulations Jan 11, 2007

In advance

Jarnail Gill
India
English to Punjabi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all Jan 11, 2007

Ritu Bhanot wrote:

In advance

Hi..thank you all for your quick witted replies and advance congratulations but I am yet to find someone, ha ha ha.

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
Could be quite interesting Jan 11, 2007

Maybe some ProZ.com users who have colleagues as life partners could tell us about their experiences.

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:31
English to Arabic
+ ...
If you are yet to find someone.... Jan 11, 2007

jelly_gill wrote:

Hi..thank you all for your quick witted replies and advance congratulations but I am yet to find someone, ha ha ha.

I understand that you may be specifically looking for a translator to marry, but are you specifically looking for a woman living on the other side of the globe?????

I know distance makes the hearts grow fonder, but this may be a bit extreme!

Claire Titchmarsh (X)
Claire Titchmarsh (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:31
Italian to English
+ ...
Fine, as long as she stays on the other side of the globe Jan 11, 2007

You'll have to develop a lot of outside interests otherwise you'll drive each other up the wall. I know from personal experience. Working with your partner can be great, you are completely free to take off on holiday whenever you like, no babysitter hassles, but life can become a little two-dimensional.

Kirill Semenov
Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 23:31
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Marry her..! Jan 11, 2007

Just do it if you feel she is your dream.

Does it really matter where you live if you both are happy?

Marry her, and don't bother about anything else. Be happy

Jarnail Gill
India
English to Punjabi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
this is the first serious answer Jan 11, 2007

Claire Titchmarsh wrote:

You'll have to develop a lot of outside interests otherwise you'll drive each other up the wall. I know from personal experience. Working with your partner can be great, you are completely free to take off on holiday whenever you like, no babysitter hassles, but life can become a little two-dimensional.

Dear Claire! Thanks for sharing your views. Yours is the first serious answer to my topic. I hope I would get similar answers from other translators now.

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:31
English to Arabic
+ ...
serious answer Jan 11, 2007

jelly_gill wrote:

Yours is the first serious answer to my topic. I hope I would get similar answers from other translators now.

That's because your emphasis on the other side of the globe threw us all a bit off track for a while...

Jarnail Gill
India
English to Punjabi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Nesrin.. Jan 11, 2007

Dear Nesrin.... actually let me explain my topic a bit more. I wanted opinion of the people about cross-culture marriage specifically when both husband and wife are translators working in different parts of the world and working on different language pairs. If somehow they decide to get married, what there life would be like? I have no intention to hide that I am highly enthusiastic about this type of marriage.

Ali Al awadi
Ali Al awadi  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Arabic
+ ...
You can grow together Jan 11, 2007

jelly_gill wrote:

Dear Nesrin.... actually let me explain my topic a bit more. I wanted opinion of the people about cross-culture marriage specifically when both husband and wife are translators working in different parts of the world and working on different language pairs. If somehow they decide to get married, what there life would be like? I have no intention to hide that I am highly enthusiastic about this type of marriage.

Supposing that you found her and you both got serious about marriage for certain reasons, no matter how different they may be, get married. Why not!
But, each has to find out how the land lies before he/she moves in with the other. Who knows! One day you can set up a translation agency together and will strike it rich and become the trendsetters.
Perhaps you will go halves on all.

Congratulations in advance

[Edited at 2007-01-11 19:01]

Alexandre Coutu
Alexandre Coutu
Canada
Local time: 15:31
English to French
Translators are usually open-minded about cultural differences Jan 11, 2007

Although marrying or dating someone of another culture can cause some difficulties, it also makes life a lot more interesting!

In the case of translators, they are usually well aware of cultural differences and of the value of all cultures and I doubt this would cause animosity.

[Edited at 2007-01-11 19:30]

Henrik Pipoyan
Henrik Pipoyan  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:31
Member (2004)
English to Armenian
Hi Jan 11, 2007

The difficulty is that unless she speaks your target language or you speak her target language, you’ll have to hire an interpreter somewhere in the middle.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Marrying a translator

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »