Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
No more anonymous outsourcers, please !!!!
Thread poster: Catherine GUILLIAUMET
Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:32
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Sure you are too demanding Jul 13, 2008

Catherine GUILLIAUMET wrote:
I believe I am not too much demanding : just do not allow people to subscribe without publishing at least their postal address and/or their URL.

Dear Catherine,

I strongly object to the overall stance you're taking in this thread - have you ever heard of managing your own business risk (you do run your own translation business, don't you?)? It is in your own responsibility as a business to carry out the necessary checks, e.g. by writing back to the potential outsourcer and asking for full details, by checking information available on the Blue Board or alternative resources on the Net, such as telephone/address directories, or by refusing flat out to work with them if they don't come forward with their contact information - I've made the latter a rule for my own business.

It's just not on to simply sit back and expect ProZ.com to do all the security checks and verifications for you - that's way over the top given the most diverse methods Internet fraudsters apply. Please do use some common sense in this regard and also remember that ProZ.com is a venue, not a party to the interactions between outsourcers and service providers. If emails without sufficient contact details are sent to you, why don't you just ignore and bin them?

Best regards,
Steffen

[Edited at 2008-07-13 16:24]

USER0059 (X)
USER0059 (X)  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 09:32
English to Finnish
+ ...
We are going around in circles Jul 13, 2008

Ralf Lemster wrote:

I understand the difference, but it is still my opinion that a reasonably complete profile should be a prerequisite for posting jobs. This would clear the confusion and suspicions that inconsistent or missing contact information currently causes.

Once again, providing full and accurate contact details is a prerequisite for any job posted.

Dear Ralf,

Thank you for your reply.

The problem is that those highly accurate details are not available to the providers who need them.

Even if a complete profile would not be required, the recipients should still have access to the poster's full contact information.

Check the Blue Board.

It is unreasonably complicated, and potentially fraud-prone, to have more or less different versions of a party's contact information in a profile, on the Blue Board, and where not. As a provider, I would like to see one, and only one, consistently accessible set of full and accurate contact details.

(Also, if contact information should be available on the Blue Board anyhow, then hiding it on the job postings would seem doubly illogical.)

With best regards, and with renewed thanks to everyone who has replied to me, I throw in my towel for now. However, until resolved, this issue will be a factor in my deciding whether to renew my jobs-only membership.

Thor

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:32
English to French
+ ...
A simple solution Jul 13, 2008

Why not make it simple for everybody? How about not allowing people (both freelancers and outsourcers) to use ProZ mail unless the strict minimum is filled in in their profiles? The means are already in place for this (profile updater, directory filtering using profile criteria, etc.) and all we need is to have a rule that prevents everybody whose profile is empty from using ProZ mail, whether it be about potential jobs, KudoZ questions, or whatever else one may wish to communicate about. And pl... See more
Why not make it simple for everybody? How about not allowing people (both freelancers and outsourcers) to use ProZ mail unless the strict minimum is filled in in their profiles? The means are already in place for this (profile updater, directory filtering using profile criteria, etc.) and all we need is to have a rule that prevents everybody whose profile is empty from using ProZ mail, whether it be about potential jobs, KudoZ questions, or whatever else one may wish to communicate about. And please, don't give me the argument that some potential clients who come to this site for the first time would find it lengthy to create a profile and fill it in - how long does it take to enter a name, an address, a phone number and an e-mail address, and then wait for the activation e-mail?

The way I see it, the rules should be all-inclusive, that is, everybody should be subject to the same set of rules. For example, I very seldom declare my availability, and because of this, my profile doesn't show up in some directory searches, so there are jobs I could do that are not offered to me. Mind you, it may be better this way - no strangers contacting me for ultra-urgent jobs. My point is that when translators refuse/forget to add certain, rather secondary, details to their profiles, they are filtered out of the jobs system - why not make it work both ways, and extend this to ProZ mail? I am sure that this way, more room would be given to relationships based on mutual trust, which can only lead to better business for all.

By the way, I have been contacted through my profile by people trying to sell me boxes (a long, long time ago). By not putting any means in place to control ProZ mail, I believe ProZ is doing a disservice to the whole community, all types of members/users, not just translators (here I think of agencies who get contacted each day by people who clearly do not fit the profile - there are probably other annoyances stemming from there as well).
Collapse

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 08:32
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Locking the thread Jul 13, 2008

It seems that all has been already said in this thread and the discussion goes to a dead end - I'm locking the thread.

Magda

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

No more anonymous outsourcers, please !!!!

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »